Medical Travel Insurance

Dubdude007

I am in the same situation as your dad. I have medicare which will not work if you go out of the country, but I pay for everything with a credit card that covers lost luggage, trip delay etc. So, I only need medical coverage and after reviewing another post previously, I contacted Geo Blue for just medical coverage. They have single trip coverage and full year coverage which is what I got since we will be out of the country a few times. Really reasonable prices and good coverage.

My dad and I are going on a cruise this December for 7 days and since he has Medicare and Medicaid at home, I am thinking about getting him some medical insurance just in case. Any suggestions would be helpful

Please also post on the CC Travel Insurance sub-forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

And you might do a search there under "Medicare", as this issue is quite common.

There are deadines in terms of when to purchase, depending upon what type of coverage.

We get policies from Travel Insured, and by through www.TripInsuranceStore.com - they are brokers (no extra cost) that handle policies from several vetted insurers.

We've had a few large claims, paid with no nonsense.

GC

• 1 month later...

I live in Canada and our health care is not available outside the country. Consequently I have been buying additional health insurance whenever we travel outside Canada. I urge caution and check the details. I found out within the past year that now that I am 65 the coverage through my credit card is impacted. Naturally (unfortunately) there is reduced coverage. Also you need to be mindful that some companies providing travel/health insurance might have a different idea about what constitutes "stability" in your health condition. Any changes in medications, treatment changes, etc. could be considered to indicate instability in your health condition and lead to a loss or reduction in the coverage that you think that you are getting.

My physician and I work well together and I am pretty stable. However we do plan any changes to medications to fall more than 90 days before a planned trip. The changes are more tweaks than significant changes which is gratifying. My thinking isn't just related to what insurance companies might expect but also I would rather be sick when I am at home and in my own bed than on a cruise ship.

At some point there might come a time when travel poses too many challenges. We are going places now in case there is a time when staying in Canada is the only option. I love Canada but we need more palm trees and warm oceans to satisfy us.