Picture-A-Week 2017 - Week 48

pierces

'Tis the season, eh? The weekend after Thanksgiving has become our traditional time to bring out the Christmas decorations. This year was surprisingly painless since we took some time and packed everything away last year with some measure of organization and, believe it or not, labels! The pictured Santa decoration was instantly adopted as the favorite-thing-of-all-time by our youngest granddaughter. At eighteen months, she is experiencing her first cognizant Christmas and while I am sure that she is still pretty unclear on the history and associated traditions, she is very clear about her joy at all the decorations. Christmas morning will be interesting.

Faux-Ho-Ho

p2657671582-5.jpg

Dave

Too bad we can't see the balloon glow...

Nice Xmas shots Dave - I put up my outside lights Sunday, and will be putting the tree up today...but I'm off to Disney tomorrow so I won't get to enjoy it all again until I get back on Monday the 11th.

One last weekend at the wetlands before my Disney trip - Saturday was a lovely day, and lots of wildlife out there...

A tricolor heron jumping frantically after a fish:

original.jpg

A backlit green iguana, starting to turn orange for mating season, heading for a tree:

original.jpg

A big great blue heron all stretched out to full extension, showing his long legs and big wings as he comes in for a landing:

original.jpg

Shooting as sunset approaches always produces lovely warm yellow/orange light-cast on the flying birds, like this double-crested cormorant flying past me:

original.jpg

And there's even a very rare sighting at my local Green Cay wetlands in Delray Beach, FL...an African lion! Scary to encounter such a thing walking down a wetlands boardwalk - you wouldn't think there are lions in Florida...but indeed, this one has been well-known among visitors to Green Cay wetlands for quite some time - he's very old, and weathered-looking, wise and always on guard:

original.jpg

This coincidental knot and crack arrangement on one of the boards of the boardwalk has been nicknamed 'the Lion of Green Cay' for years now. The big wonder is...how long can it survive? Eventually all the wood planks have to be replaced in Florida's harsh wet humid conditions, and this one is already far past the life of most of its neighboring beams - they've left it because it's got a following - I think they'll have to pull it up soon as it won't be safe to support the weight of people walking on it - maybe they'll bring it to the nature center and frame it as a keepsake!

Thanks Dave. It's funny - I've known the lion and walked over it hundreds of times for many years now, and never thought to take a photo of it - can't really say why. I finally saw someone else post a photo of it on their visit, and realized I never had...so I resolved to take a photo this time, especially as we have no idea how long it will be there!

Awesome beasts and birds as usual, Justin.

As a fan of photographing "things", I have to say that the "Lion" is awesomer. Especially since it has a backstory to go along with it.

Dave

Dave said it all!

Well done Justin.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...