Noro & Babies

Tennant

Has anyone had their baby or small child contract noro virus on a cruise? We are cruising on the Reflection in a few weeks and she has a bad outbreak now. Will probably get cleaned up but I'm really concerned, my guy will only be 10 months old and I don't think the ship is equipped to help babies. Example no pedilyte for dehydration. Any experience would be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Adult food" has nothing to do with it. Sure, a baby can catch it...it's a virus. You will want to bring any and all "pediatric medications" that you MIGHT need...including pedialyte....they make it in powdered form.

Noro is carried by people. The "ship" isn't infected...the passengers or crew can be, however. Wash your hands before touching your face..nose,mouth or eyes OR your baby. You should be able to avoid it by keeping YOUR hands clean. If your baby is crawling, keep baby's hands clean, too! (and their bare feet...babies are always putting stuff in their mouths!)

Noro sucks...but people carry it. You can be contagious BEFORE you have symptoms...that's why it's so prevalent...and it's not just on ships! It's only that ships have to report it! It's in EVERY school system....and therefore, it ends up wherever those folks vacation.

I understand what noro is and how to avoid it and that babies can contract it.

I'm asking if anyone has had their baby infected and what their experience was like and if the ships doctor was able to provide pedilite for dehydration.

I had one year old twins get rotavirus at the age of one, on land. Eleven straight days of fevers, vomiting, and diarrhea. No milk, no food, they couldn’t sit unsupported. I never brought them to the doctor (they were #4 and #5, had a lot of experience with stomach bugs) but talked to the nurse a few times a day. I don’t think they would take pedialite, but I kept them hydrated with a tablespoon of liquid every 15 minutes.

Bring on some pedialite.

My tots never got noro on a ship, even during outbreaks (I think they can't reach handrails, elevator buttons, etc., where adults can get pick it up), but I do want to let you know that one of my girls has been ill on board a few times and the ship doctors were always equipped to handle it and wonderful with her. I would still bring any meds/supplies you think you might need just in case, including thermometer. It's great to be able to wait until their open hours to avoid the pricier after hours services.

I bring a container of powdered Gatorade when we travel. My daughter's doctors has said to dilute it for kids, it's the same thing (though coloured and better flavor). We've never needed to use any of the supplies we travel with but we always bring children's gravol, gravol suppositories, benadryl, advil, tylenol in addition to all the over the counter meds I bring for us.

Hopefully someone will come along that has direct experience but I would board the ship prepared to handle noro in your child without medical help then consider any additional help the doctors do provide a bonus.

Oh. Our daughter is now 4.5 yrs, and fully toilet trained but we use pull ups at night for travel (just in case) since noro can be so easy to catch on the ships I plan to bring a lot of extra pull ups in February so she can wear those to minimize mess and stress should she catch a bug onboard. I would pack extra diapers to account for a stomach bug for your little guy.

Thanks! Those are all great tips. What is gravol? Will have to google that.

Gravol is a Canadian motion sickness/nausea medication. It goes by a different name in the US. Can't remember what that is though. But babies can't have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Gravol is a Canadian motion sickness/nausea medication. It goes by a different name in the US. Can't remember what that is though. But babies can't have it.

Yes I am in Canada.

I just checked and the boxes do say ages 2+, under 2 use by doctor recommendation. Not sure what that would really mean if you ask the doctor.

We've luckily always had it on hand and have never used it. Same as the Benadryl (which now that I think of it might also be ages 2+ on the bottle).

If the baby or any of you are showing any symptoms please don't board. This is how an outbreak occurs.

I would only sail if everyone is symptom free for at least a week.

I'm asking because the ship we are boarding has a bad outbreak of noro. I never suggested my baby was sick or that we were planning to travel with him while sick with noro. Please read original post before posting responses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm asking because the ship we are boarding has a bad outbreak of noro. I never suggested my baby was sick or that we were planning to travel with him. Please read original post before posting responses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I apologize. I read the post as your baby had a case of noro that you figured would be cleared up by the time you cruised.

My son had a case of noro he caught from daycare when he was about that age. He wasn't actually too bad, it affected the rest of us more. I just nursed him more frequently and didn't feed him any solid food for a day or two.

If your not breastfeeding maybe just make sure you have formula or whatever your baby normally has. I would maybe talk to your paediatrician about ideas of what else you could give them. If your baby can't keep anything down you can help prevent dehydration by giving a teaspoon of fluid (even water) every 15 minutes. The medical staff on board will have things they can do in case of dehydration. I have heard of them giving people I.v. with fluids in cases of dehydration. I'm sure they could a baby fluids if needed.

• 4 weeks later...

Our two year old had gotten sick on our last cruise. At first I thought she may have gotten sea sick from a rough tender. We brought her down to the medics and they gave us some pedialite and she wasn’t allowed to leave the room for 24 hours. At the time my daughter was still sucking on her fingers and no matter how often we sanitized or washed she was still putting her hands on everything. Bring extra wipes and hand sanitizer. I also had some chewie Dramamine handy for her and some Imodium for us (just in case).