Help! I am trapped in the root cellar on NCL Dawn!

kanadakid

Hi I am basically a first time cruiser. I spotted a good deal online, and the "agent" informed me that this rate was guaranteed til 10 pm so I grabbed it and paid for it that day; but not sure exactly what all "guaranteed" entails. When I paid she informed me that, strangely, NCL actually assigned me a cabin straight-away - (on Deck 4). I thought that couldn't be too bad if it's 4 decks up. It turns out that Deck 4 is at the very bottom of the ship - I am in the second most fwd cabin under the bow - basically right where the keel meets the water. Am I going to need gravol? I have read some comments in this thread that some folks didn't mind being at the bow, but seemed like all those posts referenced Deck 8, 9, 11, etc. I don't do well on rollercoasters and such so wondering if, as a newbie I should have cause for concern, and if there is anything that I can do once pmt is made in full. Any advice - 'stern' or otherwise would be appreciated. :)

Is this a joke? You've been a member for 4 years. You have 59 posts .... and not much makes sense in your post.

Why is agent in quote marks? You clearly stated that the ONLY thing guaranteed was the price. Why are you asking what guaranteed entails? You didn't say it was a guaranteed cabin, ONLY a guaranteed price.

Well, out of 128 people ... I'm the only one who has even responded.

Like posted above-- you are no where near the bottom of the ship. Booking a guarantee you take the chance of being placed anywhere they want to. See what it would cost to pick your own cabin higher- more midship

But for someone who gets motion sick you want to be low-- the higher you go the more you pay.

Deck 4 is not the root cellar as has been stated. That being said I would agree with poster who said to call and see if you can get a cabin a little more mid-ships. IMO the worst motion is in the bow, but it may not bother you. Good Luck! :D

Umm, the keel doesn’t meet the water. The keel is approximately 30 feet under the water. Deck 4 will likely have 3 decks below it, but for crew, and ships machinery, etc. a guaranteed cabin means you will get a cabin in the selected category, and possibly better. When booking a guarantee, in exchange for the low price, you must be willing to accept the absolute worst cabin in that category. You may get an upgrade to,a better category of cabin, but don’t book a guarantee banking on that happening, because it most likely won’t.

• 3 months later...

Talk with your doctor about the best type of seasick remedy. Personally, I use Bonine. Deck 4 is fairly low, and the front might be a bit rocky, but you got a good deal. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I feel your anxiety but as others have stated you are not on the lowest decks - the crew is lower than you and they get used to it :o We booked a Guaranteed OB/OV (picture window) Category that was supposed to be midship Deck 8 on the Dawn - NCL in it's infinite wisdom "upgraded" us to a OV on Deck 4 Forward with a porthole not a large window - they see this as an upgrade - we see it as a downgrade. A "guarantee" means that you will be placed "at least" in the same category you booked but they can move you "up" as needed - in this case we don't see it as an upgrade.