Is waiheke island new zealand worth a visit??

portcbob

Hi fellow cruisers.

Going to visit Auckland soon on a cruise and wondering what to do there. Just read an article about waiheke island and it sounds great. Anyone out there that has been, is it worth the trip than say hoho bus around Auckland.

Thanks for any advice.

I organised a private wine tour for a group of 8 friends about a two years ago. We loved Waiheke Island and enjoyed the ferry ride there and back. If we did another cruise starting in Auckland I would try to stay in Waiheke for a few days prior to the cruise. Lovely scenery, beaches, multiple wineries and good food. What's not to love.

Julie

I organised a private wine tour for a group of 8 friends about a two years ago. We loved Waiheke Island and enjoyed the ferry ride there and back. If we did another cruise starting in Auckland I would try to stay in Waiheke for a few days prior to the cruise. Lovely scenery, beaches, multiple wineries and good food. What's not to love.

Julie

I agree. A beautiful island for a few days. Check out the architecture and relax.

Another vote for Waiheke. Would go back again if in Auckland and stay longer. Did a wine tour for a day with Fuller's, the company that runs the ferry. Wineries were all upscale and the tour included lunch at one and tastings at two others. The island is very scenic with hillsides covered by vineyards and awesome sea views.

Hi, absolutely I'd recommend Waiheke over mainland Auckland. We took the ferry there (about 40 to 45 minutes) then walked to town & rented e bikes. Road from winery to winery, great day, amazing vistas! Most of the wineries have little cafes or even very nice restaurants to enjoy a meal or snack in. The E bikes made for easy peddling up the steep hills that make up the island. You can also do the winery hop on hop off buses. Could have easily spent a couple of days on this gorgeous island. :)

A few shots of some wineries:

enhance

enhance

enhance

Time on Waiheke Island is time well spent! While we were in Auckland in February last year for a few days prior to embarking on a cruise, my husband and I visited Waiheke Island. We took the ferry from Auckland about noon. Using the island’s hop-on-hop-off bus we toured around a number of wineries and other sights. The highlight was dinner at the Mudbrick Restaurant and Winery (made an on-line reservation about two weeks ahead). A cab took us back to the ferry dock and we were back in Auckland about 11pm. Spectacular day!