Auckland to Paihia driving

We arrive in Auckland early on Tuesday Feb 6 which I've since learned is a national holiday. We will be driving from there to Paihia where we're staying for three nights. What will the drive be like getting through the city and further north on a holiday? Will people be taking the Monday in lieu of the actual day to have a long weekend and we'll encounter heavier traffic than a normal holiday? Just want to be prepared since we'll be attempting all this driving on the side of the road we're not accustomed to! Also, are most supermarkets and restaurants open on this holiday? Thank you!

We arrive in Auckland early on Tuesday Feb 6 which I've since learned is a national holiday. We will be driving from there to Paihia where we're staying for three nights. What will the drive be like getting through the city and further north on a holiday? Will people be taking the Monday in lieu of the actual day to have a long weekend and we'll encounter heavier traffic than a normal holiday? Just want to be prepared since we'll be attempting all this driving on the side of the road we're not accustomed to! Also, are most supermarkets and restaurants open on this holiday? Thank you!

Hi , its normally about a 3 hour drive from Auckland to Paihia. I was bought up in Paihia so have done this drive more times than I can count!.. Currently the road has a number of road works on it, but it shouldn't slow you down to much so maybe give yourself 3 - 3.5 hours for the drive.

Yes 6 Feb is Waitangi Day, our national holiday. Most of the commemorations happen around Paihia and Waitangi. I would definitely make sure you have prebooked and confirmed accommodation for the Bay as the place will be very busy and also don't plan to drive into Waitangi that day - maybe book hotel accomodation in Paihia and not the Copthorne for instance which is dead smack in the middle of the focus of the day in Waitangi.

The Bay is stunning so you should have a great few days up there., try and make sure that one side trip you do is the "hole in the Rock" boat trip and possibly the bus trip to Cape Reinga. Visit the Treaty house after Waitangi Day also, it can be a little crowded on the 6th.

The supermarket in Paihia should be open as will most business's.

have a great time in the Bay

regards Roscoe

Thank you Roscoe for all this great info!! We are booked into the Anchorage Motel in Paihia for three nights. I've booked with Carino for the snorkel/dophin tour and I believe they do the Rock, depending on sea conditions. We definitely want to do Cape Reinga but were planning to drive ourselves since the bus tour only stays there for about 40 minutes and we don't think that'll be enough time to fully explore the Cape, have lunch etc. We'll do some stops along the way and back so the drive shouldn't be too much for my husband. Our rental car is automatic. Does that sound doable?

Cathy

Thank you Roscoe for all this great info!! We are booked into the Anchorage Motel in Paihia for three nights. I've booked with Carino for the snorkel/dophin tour and I believe they do the Rock, depending on sea conditions. We definitely want to do Cape Reinga but were planning to drive ourselves since the bus tour only stays there for about 40 minutes and we don't think that'll be enough time to fully explore the Cape, have lunch etc. We'll do some stops along the way and back so the drive shouldn't be too much for my husband. Our rental car is automatic. Does that sound doable?

Cathy

Its a few years since Ive been on the drive to the Cape, personally, I would take the bus trip, I think you'll find 40 mins at the cape is enough, and Im sure they will have a guide who will explain the significance to Maori of the area - it is the jumping off point for spirits.

If you are driving yourself I would not attempt to drive along the beach which I think the buses still do, my memory of the area is that it is a graveyard of rental cars who were caught by the incoming tide and soft sand!

The anchorage is a good position for you, easily walkable into the village and to the wharf where your boat tour will leave from and its right on the waterfront.

After the 6th of Feb is done and dusted, a trip to the treaty grounds and to the cafe Waikokopu on its grounds is definitely a must. You would be running out of time but for an afternoon and evening, Russell is only a short ferry ride across the Bay and its a great little Victorian town - it was NZs first capital and the church still bears the bullet scars of various skirmishes with Hone Heke. Its easily walkable and a drink or dinner at the Duke of Marlborough on the waterfront should provide some memories for you.

I've just re-read my previous post and it sounds a bit abrupt - so here's the link to Cape Reinga which will explain better.

Enjoy NZ!!

https://www.newzealand.com/us/cape-reinga/

No worries K, I had read about the site and we would've stopped along the way either before or after visiting the lighthouse and area. We're bringing along a collapsible cooler (or chilly bin as the locals say) for food so we can stop at our leisure.

Its a few years since Ive been on the drive to the Cape, personally, I would take the bus trip, I think you'll find 40 mins at the cape is enough, and Im sure they will have a guide who will explain the significance to Maori of the area - it is the jumping off point for spirits.

If you are driving yourself I would not attempt to drive along the beach which I think the buses still do, my memory of the area is that it is a graveyard of rental cars who were caught by the incoming tide and soft sand!

The anchorage is a good position for you, easily walkable into the village and to the wharf where your boat tour will leave from and its right on the waterfront.

After the 6th of Feb is done and dusted, a trip to the treaty grounds and to the cafe Waikokopu on its grounds is definitely a must. You would be running out of time but for an afternoon and evening, Russell is only a short ferry ride across the Bay and its a great little Victorian town - it was NZs first capital and the church still bears the bullet scars of various skirmishes with Hone Heke. Its easily walkable and a drink or dinner at the Duke of Marlborough on the waterfront should provide some memories for you.

More great info, thank you!! We will definitely try to get over to Russell at some point, maybe the afternoon/evening when we first arrive. You are making me rethink the car vs tour bus to CR. I had read about not taking rental cars on the beach and we'd be fine with the tour bus, my only issue was being told that 40 minutes is not enough time to properly see the lighthouse, walk to the overlook etc...the thought of someone else doing the driving so we can enjoy the scenery is tempting too!!