LIVE - Mariner - Miami to Lima 1/5/2018 to 1/23/2018

irishwitchy

We arrived in Miami yesterday from a slightly longer fly than normal from Newark, because of the bad weather in northern Florida. However, had we waited to flight down on January 4 one day before we leave port, we may have had issues, because most flights didn’t get out of Newark yesterday.

Since we are platinum with Marriott we checked into the JW Marriott Marques on Jan 3. The room was ready at 10:00am and on the 34th floor with a great view. We also had a late check out at 4:00pm , so we dragged the luggage across the street to the Kimpton Epic and checked right in. Room is on the 23 floor, but more of city view. We registered with the Regent folks in the lobby. Small issue, we thought we could let them pick up the luggage and we will find our own way to the ship. That started a very strange conversation, that if we didn’t take the transportation – they wouldn’t take the luggage. Mind you, since they get the luggage at 9:00 and they take us at 12:45, what happens if I don’t get on the bus. Anyway, we will just take the bus and make everyone happy. (As it is the luggage didn’t go anywhere until 11)

We met a few of our shipmates tonight at the wine mingle that the Kimpton does in the lobby. Everyone is very excited!

Miami stuff, since the beach was out of the question because of the cold weather and we have been to South beach last year to look at the architecture, we walked over to the Brickell Center City mall to check that out. Had lunch at the Big Easy, an Ernie Ellis restaurant. The pork belly lollipops were very very spicy and yummy. I had the angry duck curry and that was great also. My husband had some sausage/hot doggy thing, it was ok, but he wouldn’t get it again. For dinner an uber ride over to Joes Stone Crab for Stone crabs at the bar and a walk over the Prime 112 to split the 1 lb hamburger at the bar. The stone crabs were great, the burger was so-so.

Today, over to the Wynwood section of Miami to look at the art/walls/lunch. Grabbed a quick bite at the Wynwood diner. While there, I was searching the map online and found a place the offered “the machine gun experience”. Long story short, my very quiet husband who never shot a gun was interested and did the 007 package. Sometimes new stuff just happens and going with the new is fun. Dinner was back at the JW Marriott, because a new a Boulud Sud was having a soft opening this week and I have enjoyed the food in NYC post of this restaurant. It didn’t disappoint and we would highly recommend if you are staying in the area. All of it was great and the basket of warm Madeline’s are worth the calories.

Ran down to breakfast this morning and that was a basic hotel buffet affair. The elevators are slow in the morning – going down to go back up is recommended. We than walked over to the bridge and down to a wine store to pick up a few bottles. Currently waiting to leave for the ship.

Oh boy, looking forward to your reports. Thanks very much for taking the time to share your Mariner experience.

We were just on the Mariner's Amazon sailing, and about three weeks prior to the cruise, we received an offer from Regent to move to your cruise. We declined, as we were really looking forward to seeing the Amazon.

Interestingly, we also went to the Wynwood area the night before our cruise. Very interesting area. We went to the Wynwood Kitchen and Bar, which is adjacent to the Wynwood Walls. Sat on the patio with a great view of the eclectic artwork. Lots of fun.

I am also looking forward to your reports. Your experience with your luggage is the same as what happened to us one time in Miami but in November, they took the luggage without us without a problem - we just had to let them know that we wouldn't be on the bus (or they would not have taken the luggage). Think that there needs to be consistency with the luggage to the ship policy so that people know in advance how it works.

Enjoy your cruise! I too am looking forward to your posts - my husband and I are getting on in Lima for that cruise to Buenos Aires. It has been a few years since we were on the Mariner but we like her very much.

Bon Voyage!

Hi Iriswitchy, Fair Winds and Following Seas, we hope y’all have a terrific cruise.

Please save some champers and wine for NJBelle and us when we board in Lima.

And if u get the chance, pls tell Margaret Lynn, the real Alabama team is playing our Georgia Bulldogs for the national championship tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Iriswitchy, Fair Winds and Following Seas, we hope y’all have a terrific cruise.

Please save some champers and wine for NJBelle and us when we board in Lima.

And if u get the chance, pls tell Margaret Lynn, the real Alabama team is playing our Georgia Bulldogs for the national championship tomorrow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wes, I don't think Margaret boards until Callao. I had also heard that Michael would be our GM but he was on Navigator for Hawaii sailing.

Irish, please don't break the ship before we board; have fun but not too much fun.

Marc

Well you saved me started the thread

Knew switching ships and starting over would be a challange. But finding today a mini Mt but the challange is harder than I planned.

I found my cabin before it was ready. I could not carry my two tote bags one more second.

Finding the room huge but not nearly enough storage

I had to climb on a chair in the closet about ten times today to put things away

The PH bathroom storage is ok but having trouble setting up my counter as it is too small to put out what always stays out

Meanwhile the butler had to run around to get me more hangers

There was not enough

If i was two people i would need more than double that they give you

I am trying to get a lamp or something for more light

Compared to other cruise lines the cabin and bath are dark

Made it to dinner at 920

Now they are getting my main course thru room service

I would of prefer room service

I was so late as i did not have my butler

Help me this afternoon as he said hecwas busy

Never had that happen

Never

So i finally took a bath at 730 and worked from there

Robin,

They used to make smoothies out at the pool area in the mornings. You may want to check that out.

Thank you. I saw a sign by the pool but would like to add them to breakfast or fir in my cabin on tour days.

This is my third ship in six weeks so I know I need to,adjust. But to go from live music at 1230 am to zero tonight at 2300 hours is a joke. In my cabin now. I normally see it later.

Cabin is large but I needed more folded drawer space.

Ask for more drawers and brighter bulbs? What do they do - roll in extra units with drawers in them? For the lights - most if not all the lighting is fluorescent or recessed halogen so it isn't easily increased so do they bring in extra table lamps? I'm really curious since after refurb on the Voyager the drawer space decreased to less than what we consider optimum and I suspect the same will be true on the Mariner.

We sincerely hope you have a wonderful cruise and look forward to reading about your adventures.

Wes/NJ/Marq: we hope you start a “Live” thread of your upcoming cruise since we are booked on next year’s Explorer around the horn cruise and can learn a lot from your experience.

Z and TB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Roberto, absolutely will post (words & snaps) on our Lima to Buenos Aires voyage, either start a thread or contribute to one already started. Ida and I will post about our Machu Picchu trip that begins January 19th. Besides getting to sail with CD Margaret Lynn again, we can't wait to see one our fav servers Ley.

Johnthesailor,

I refuse to react to your snarky/sarcastic tone.

I have asked for extra drawers/brighter lights on the Navigator and bathroom/bedside lights on the Explorer and received both promptly and with a smile from the wonderful staff.

I cannot speak specifically about the Mariner since it's been a number of years since I've sailed on her, nor have I sailed in a PH on the ship so don't know the configuration there.

Anyway, Robin - ask and I'm sure you will receive!

Peggy

I was just on Mariner in a PH, so recently familiar with the layout. I also am curious how staff respond to a request for more drawers? Do they bring in a complete drawer unit and place it somewhere in the suite? I guess there would be room by the mirror (across from the bed). Just curious. Thanks.

Johnthesailor,

I refuse to react to your snarky/sarcastic tone.

I have asked for extra drawers/brighter lights on the Navigator and bathroom/bedside lights on the Explorer and received both promptly and with a smile from the wonderful staff.

I cannot speak specifically about the Mariner since it's been a number of years since I've sailed on her, nor have I sailed in a PH on the ship so don't know the configuration there.

Anyway, Robin - ask and I'm sure you will receive!

Peggy

Not meant to be snarky or sarcastic at all and somewhat surprised you took it that way. Sorry if somehow I offended you.

But my question still stands. How are the extra drawers brought in? Are there additional standalone dresser units set up somewhere that have drawers in them? I have not yet been on the explorer - does the cabin have some type of counter that additional drawers can be attached to?

With respect to the lights, again I have not been on the explorer so I'm unclear how the additional lights are implemented. Do they change out bulbs or bring in additional freestanding lighting fixtures.

John, I was on Explorer for 26 nights in November and December. In an E suite, we had plenty of drawer space. We had two areas with drawers in the main cabin. One was in the desk area and the other in the cabinet area below the TV. Plus drawers in the closet. We found this to be more than plenty.

Agree with NCCruzQueen about the drawer space on the F1/F2, "D" and "E" suites on Explorer. The bathroom also has tons of space. Not sure what Regent was thinking when they removed drawers from the Navigator and Voyager (and probably will on Mariner as well).

As for the lights, the lightning in the closet is as bad on Explorer as on other Regent ships (note: have not been on Navigator or Voyager since the refurbishment). While they are likely using electricity saving bulbs, one does need to be able to tell the color of their clothing while in the closet. After I put on dark blue slacks (thinking that they were black) with a clashing top, I learned that I have to take the clothes and put them by the sliding glass doors (while it its still light outside) in order to insure that the colors are what I think they are). Not sure if Regent stocks different wattage bulbs in order to change them when requested.

Think that we are all interested in getting extra drawers. If it is doable, most of us would ask for them.

Note: We were on the Mariner last month in a Grand Suite and the only drawers in the suite (except for the night stands) was in the closet. Definitely not enough room to store things for a 25 night cruise. We were wondering how that suite could be used for the world cruise in 2020.

Robin,

Ask for extra drawers. And brighter bulbs where you need them - bath? bedside?

Peggy

Have for lights

Being done while i am drinking in Key West

Bathroom abd closet worse

Not used alk drawers yet in cliset

Need to settle in more

Slept to 1030

Walking around drinking and bank

Have two hours to get in last states side texts and phoneb