Picton, NZ & Wine Tasting At Giesen

soak01

Hi All. We will be in Picton for a day whilst on a cruise in September. Have booked an Avis hire car so that we can have lunch and do some tasting at Giesen. How long should I allow to get from Picton to Giesen and then to return to Picton via Havelock and Queen Charlotte Drive.

Will need to make sure we have enough time to return the car and get back to the ship.

Hi All. We will be in Picton for a day whilst on a cruise in September. Have booked an Avis hire car so that we can have lunch and do some tasting at Giesen. How long should I allow to get from Picton to Giesen and then to return to Picton via Havelock and Queen Charlotte Drive.

Will need to make sure we have enough time to return the car and get back to the ship.

I looked on Google Maps, and driving times would be around 1 1/2 hours.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Picton,+New+Zealand/Giesen+Wines+Cellar+Door+Rapaura+Road,+Blenheim,+New+Zealand/Havelock,+New+Zealand/Picton,+New+Zealand/@-41.3755985,173.7415639,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m26!4m25!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d3926eaa4d43805:0x500ef868479a160!2m2!1d174.0010044!2d-41.2905926!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d396911ecd7d75b:0xa88e241c7917389f!2m2!1d173.8199214!2d-41.4865108!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d395afd1de3aa6d:0x500ef8684797490!2m2!1d173.7672108!2d-41.2846495!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d3926eaa4d43805:0x500ef868479a160!2m2!1d174.0010044!2d-41.2905926!3e0

How long should I allow to get from Picton to Giesen and then to return to Picton via Havelock and Queen Charlotte Drive.
I looked on Google Maps, and driving times would be around 1 1/2 hours.
From personal experience, the Google Maps estimate for Picton to Giesen is the usual: slightly generous; that's an easy drive.

I haven't driven the return half of this planned trip, but I expect that you'd want to allow time to stop and look from time to time. In the OP's shoes, I would be allowing plenty of time for this so that there's no time pressure if there places to linger at. Indeed, what I wonder is whether it might be more sensible to do the scenic drive first, and then go directly back from Giesen to Picton.

From personal experience, the Google Maps estimate for Picton to Giesen is the usual: slightly generous; that's an easy drive.

I haven't driven the return half of this planned trip, but I expect that you'd want to allow time to stop and look from time to time. In the OP's shoes, I would be allowing plenty of time for this so that there's no time pressure if there places to linger at. Indeed, what I wonder is whether it might be more sensible to do the scenic drive first, and then go directly back from Giesen to Picton.

I would tend to agree with this except for one thing. Havelock to Picton on the Queen Charlotte Drive, all the pull-in parking places for views/photo opportunities etc are on the left, whereas in the opposite direction you have to pull in and out across the traffic. It's not impossible or difficult, but might be a consideration for the OP who is unfamiliar with the road.

Hi all

Thanks for your replies. Have arranged to pick the hire car first thing after getting off the ship so we can head off on Queen Charlottes Drive first and then head to Giesen etc.

Does anyone know how far the car rental companies are from where the cruise ship shuttle buses drop off and pick up in Picton?

I'm not sure exactly where the shuttle buses drop off but Picton is tiny. By the look of things the rental car places are near the ferry terminals, and I suspect the shuttle buses will drop off near the information centre which is very close to the ferry terminals.