Credit card surcharges end 13th Jan.2018

Although it seems there may be differences between theory and practice.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2018/01/cards-fees-to-be-banned-from-saturday?utm_source=MSE_Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=09-Jan-18-7212&utm_campaign=nt-oneliners-two&utm_content=17

Notice that two cruise booking agencies are named in the article.

It'll be interesting to see how TUI react to this legislation - I have a Thomsons credit card which does not incur any surcharge if booking a Thomsons or First Choice product.

Maybe I can ditch it - unless they offer some other attractive sweetener to persuade me otherwise ?

Our next cruise balance is due next week so I'm waiting until Saturday to see if I will be able to pay by credit card without a surcharge. I normally pay by debit card.

I get cash back at the year end on my credit card spend so the new rules might be beneficial.

I have a balance due with one of the cruise booking agencies mentioned. As it is not due until 17th, I will be paying it by credit card. After they back-tracked, they stated that you can pay by any card without additional payment (the cruise is not with Thomson/TUI/Marella).

Edited by Britboys
addition

I will keep paying with my TUI card because of the discounts we get
Would you mind my asking - what discounts these are ?

Spending a minimum £2,500 on a TUI holiday/cruise, or £5,000 anywhere else in order to receive a £25 discount off another TUI deal appears (to me at least) to be a very average offer.

There are cashback credit cards which have a higher value return, and avoid the redemption linkage with TUI.

Blame me !!! :D

Guilty as charged !!!

It was a good deal when Thomsons were charging CC fees and the holder was intent on a TUI holiday or cruise.

The former condition is now history, the latter aspect is worth considering if you have to pay for a TUI deal costing £2500 or more - or if you already have accrued a substantial number of points towards the minimum target.

I'm now in two minds about retaining or cancelling.

BTW - a member on another UK cruise line forum hereabouts has indicated that surcharges are still advised for onboard accounts settled by credit card in respect of a forthcoming cruise.

Maybe the new legislation is only enforcable for transactions within the UK - such as booking deposits and final balances ?

BTW - a member on another UK cruise line forum hereabouts has indicated that surcharges are still advised for onboard accounts settled by credit card in respect of a forthcoming cruise.

Maybe the new legislation is only enforcable for transactions within the UK - such as booking deposits and final balances ?

Think it's EU legislation.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Think it's EU legislation.

Yes, correct, apologies for badly wording that bit.

From what I've read, it's now UK law (as of tomorrow) and will not change regardless of where Brexit takes us.

I wonder how this impacts on cruises which start and/or end outwith the EU, compared to those that operate within ?

CC charges can be applied on the former, but not the latter ?

Thomsons will be happy to apply them where they can.

Interesting if they are still charging onboard - they are an EU owned company aren't they (Germany)?

Just booked an excursion for our upcoming cruise on Celebration and the website stated no credit card fees.

I'll report back on the 2% question!

Another interesting development - Metro Bank are now allowing applications online, whereas previously you had to apply in person in branch.

Their debit card is fee free for ATMs in "Europe" - actually the SEPA zone.

https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/

Good if you cruise or holiday around the Mediterranean, or will visit Martinique and Guadeloupe as it's Euros there.

Not forgetting the new(ish) Starling account debit card is ATM fee free worldwide.

• 1 month later...