Charging A Scooter: Heavy duty extention cord needed?

mlbcruiser

I've seen suggestions to bring along an extension cord to use for plugging in a scooter in order to charge it in your cabin. (I assume it depends upon where you park within your cabin w/relation to where outlets are located.) I am assuming one needs a heavy duty type cord with a 3 pronged plug? Or will a regular, 2 pronged (not heavy duty) plug work?

Thanks for any info.

Considering that we both traveled with a scooter and my POC, I travel with a heavy duty extension cord. I prefer the heavy duty for my own comfort. Being rolled up and in and out of my suitcase is hard on anything. I also carry a three outlet plug-in and we both have scooter chargers that can be used with both 110 and 220 and plug adapter. Did not matter how the cabin was laid out, we could always find a simple way to plug in everything to accommodate both of us.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

I expect it depends on your charger cord. Mine has 3 prongs so I use a small travel power surge protector strip that has 3 outlets. These are pretty easy to find and not expensive. Walmart might even carry them.

Please do not bring a surge protected power strip. Surge protectors are not required on ships (none of the ship's critical and expensive electronics are surge protected), and can be quite dangerous, possibly causing a fire through no fault of you or your surge protector. Do a search of CC for "surge protectors", and you will find some of my hundreds of posts concerning the dangers of surge protectors.

Surge protectors are the real reason you see that cruise lines confiscate power strips and extension cords, so please do not bring them.

For the OP, you really need to look at the amp rating of the extension cord, and the charger for your scooter, and if your scooter draws more than 5 amps while charging, I would recommend using a heavy duty cord.

Guess I need to research the type of charger, etc., that the scooter will have. This will be the first time my DH has ever used a scooter. Wait, I take that back. We are going to be in Las Vegas for just 24 hours soon and I'm renting one for him at hour hotel. (They have them on the premises, but I doubt it'll be the same type we will get for the ship.) Since the scooter on the ship is supposed to be waiting for us IN the cabin, we won't actually see it in person until we are in the cabin.

Frankly, I'd hope there would be a decent length cord on the scooter. At least one long enough to reach the outlet on the Harmony. Was hoping maybe I could just bring one of the many cords we already have. I think we have one that will accept 3 prong plugs but will have to check it and also am not sure about what it can handle electrically.

If anyone has rented a regular sized scooter (not a large, bariatric one nor a small size or one that breaks down to put into trunks, etc.) from one of the companies recommended by RCCL please comment on your experience.

Thanks for the tips!

From what I understand, there are a wide range of battery charger amperage ratings, depending on the type and rating of the battery. The best option would be to call the scooter provider (specialneedsatsea or scootaround) to see what they are providing for you, and plan accordingly.

• 2 weeks later...

An agent at Special needs at sea said they provide a 12 foot, 3 pronged cord to use to charge the scooter. It seems like surely that would be long enough (?). Especially since I believe the outlets are near the desk and near the desk is likely where we will have to park my dh’s scooter.

I will also mention that a week and a half ago my husband used a scooter on a one day and night trip to Las Vegas in route to a relative’s in AZ. Worked out great and he liked it (yay!!!!). Definitely plan tp purchase a door stop for times he may decide to try to enter the cabin on his own.

Guess I need to research the type of charger, etc., that the scooter will have. This will be the first time my DH has ever used a scooter. Wait, I take that back. We are going to be in Las Vegas for just 24 hours soon and I'm renting one for him at hour hotel. (They have them on the premises, but I doubt it'll be the same type we will get for the ship.) Since the scooter on the ship is supposed to be waiting for us IN the cabin, we won't actually see it in person until we are in the cabin.

Frankly, I'd hope there would be a decent length cord on the scooter. At least one long enough to reach the outlet on the Harmony. Was hoping maybe I could just bring one of the many cords we already have. I think we have one that will accept 3 prong plugs but will have to check it and also am not sure about what it can handle electrically.

If anyone has rented a regular sized scooter (not a large, bariatric one nor a small size or one that breaks down to put into trunks, etc.) from one of the companies recommended by RCCL please comment on your experience.

Thanks for the tips!

Whether you rented the scooter from Scootaround or SpecialNeedsatSea the basic scooter both rent are the Pride GoGo Sport or the Pride GoGo Elite Traveler depending on inventory at the specific embarkation port. The charger supplied with both models does not require an extension cord. If one is needed you are best to ask for the cabin attendant to be assured of having one that meets the safety & fire requirements for such items used by the cruise line.

Though the rental company tells you to bring one it's not necessary. In fact the rental companies should stop telling people to bring one as extension cords are listed on most of the cruise line's website as prohibited items. RCCL clearly states it on its webite that Electrical Extension Cords are Prohibited.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

Thanks for that piece of information. I’m sure it will help a lot of others as well. Actually, someone on a thread suggested bringing the cord and it sounded like a good idea to me. The scotter agent I dealt with didn’t seem to think I would need one either. It probably depends on what agent someone gets as to whether they suggest bringing a cord or not.

Mom has rented a scooter on several trips. The cord has always been with the scooter when we get it - sometimes at a pickup area, sometimes in the cabin. And we have never had a problem charging it in the room. Don't have to carry a cord. One less thing to pack!