Are white jeans considered “blue jeans”?

forgap

We leave in 10 days and I’m forcing my husband to, at least, pile up the clothes he plans to take so I can “edit” his selections. Left to his own devices, he would have no dress shirts, no belts, and insufficient underwear in the pile.

Although we are gold on Regent, I am uncertain whether white jeans are acceptable after six. They are pressed and belted but they are denim. What say ye, fashion police?

Would not wear them myself, and George doesn’t own any white ones as he is a real cowboy. White just doesn’t make sense for jeans. Not practical.

My husband is French! So, white jeans might be part of his sartorial package!

Thank you, everyone! The white jeans have been removed from the pile!

Probably a good choice...I'm sure they look nice, and most people think of blue when you mention 'jeans'. But technically white jeans are still jeans, why risk running afoul of the clothing police? :D

I have some dark, dark, dark indigo 'dress jeans' that look almost black, and as nice as they look and as comfortable as they are, they've never accompanied me on a Regent cruise - why take up the luggage space for something I might not be allowed to wear? Dress slacks, casual slacks, and khakis are proven acceptable and generally pack lighter than denim...they're my go-to garb on a cruise.

PS - I wish I was packing for a cruise right now...I don't have anything booked until January '19. Boo.

Edited by UUNetBill
Added PS

On our last cruise, Bangkok to Vennis, we noticed a number of Europeans German & Italians with jean type pants. I asked the travel consultant and she mentioned something about the type of seam. unfortunately, neither my wife or I can remember. it could have been the double seam on the outside of the leg like some US jeans or a single seam down the leg which was OK. I believe it was the single seam

The type of seam?! The jeans discussion has reached all new heights; I'm amused. What next?

(But I remember, too, that Europeans wore jeans to dinner on several occasions. Didn't think to check the seams though.)

I'm from a town in rural Colorado, so nice jeans of any color, a polo-type shirt, a sport coat, and nice leather shoes are considered "formal wear". We were recently on a music cruise on Celebrity and noted that jeans and shirt with a collar are now considered OK for anywhere after 6:00. But I wouldn't wear jeans of any type on Regent at that time, due to their rules and the fact that I might look "different. But the world and the US is becoming more casual, so maybe someday!

Greetings from South Beach, Everyone. The matter of new jeans have taken a turn here on the Beach that rules them 100% out for Regent. Presently, it is impossible to buy a pair of jeans here that are not ripped in multiple places, no matter what the cost. This, too, will pass, but not yet. I own jeans that predate the fashion and on cold day for here I wear them, outdated though they are. Ah, fashion! So often it forces people to fail intelligence tests in public.

Mary

This post does raise interesting questions, however. What are jeans and what is denim? For example, on our last two regent cruises I have worn (after 6:00 PM) slacks (?) that are made out of a light, no iron, cotton canvass -- like material that are designed for travel. I frankly don't know what the definitions of "denim" or "jeans" are. All I know is that I wasn't turned away,

All this makes me think of a meeting I went to here in Durango CO back in 2012. There were three speakers, and each wore Levis jeans, nice leather shoes of boots, a shirt with a collar, a sports coat, and no tie. That's formal here. And the speakers consisted of two US Senators and the US Secretary of the Interior!

Here in Colorado we don't like ripped up jeans very much, and fully understand why Regent (and probably even Celebrity} would frown on them after 6:00 PM. Don't you have Levis in So Cal?

Denim is a type of material rather than a style. Having been raised in Los Angeles, I can say that most people would not wear Levi's (unless they were ripped and looked nothing whatsoever as Levi's from the old days).

As Mary indicated, fashion changes and sometimes we like it and sometimes we don't. Classic clothing tends not to go out of style. Since there is a current trend towards casual clothing, the next step could easily be a trend to more formal clothing. If you think about it, most male adults over the age of 50 in the business world had to wear suits and ties. These men are the biggest opponents of having to wear them on vacation. On the other hand, people 30 and under have worn more casual clothing and are more likely to think that suits/ties/tuxedos are pretty cool (not yet but eventually). IMO, Regent is smart to take the middle road.

Another thing that has really changed is that adults tend to challenge everything. When I was in school I had to wear a dress or skirt that was no shorter than mid-knee and no black patent shoes (lest someone is able to see up your dress). We accepted this without question - it was simply no big deal. Now, for whatever reason, people challenge Regent's dress code as if it is a huge deal not to wear denim jeans and go to the extent of wearing them just to see if they are asked to change. IMO, there are some things in the world that are worth questioning but dress code is not one of them. If one cannot tolerate Regent's very lenient Elegant Casual dress code, perhaps another cruise line would suit you.

Denim is a type of material rather than a style. Having been raised in Los Angeles, I can say that most people would not wear Levi's (unless they were ripped and looked nothing whatsoever as Levi's from the old days).

As Mary indicated, fashion changes and sometimes we like it and sometimes we don't. Classic clothing tends not to go out of style. Since there is a current trend towards casual clothing, the next step could easily be a trend to more formal clothing. If you think about it, most male adults over the age of 50 in the business world had to wear suits and ties. These men are the biggest opponents of having to wear them on vacation. On the other hand, people 30 and under have worn more casual clothing and are more likely to think that suits/ties/tuxedos are pretty cool (not yet but eventually). IMO, Regent is smart to take the middle road.

Another thing that has really changed is that adults tend to challenge everything. When I was in school I had to wear a dress or skirt that was no shorter than mid-knee and no black patent shoes (lest someone is able to see up your dress). We accepted this without question - it was simply no big deal. Now, for whatever reason, people challenge Regent's dress code as if it is a huge deal not to wear denim jeans and go to the extent of wearing them just to see if they are asked to change. IMO, there are some things in the world that are worth questioning but dress code is not one of them. If one cannot tolerate Regent's very lenient Elegant Casual dress code, perhaps another cruise line would suit you.

Way to much info😯

I am finding this a very interesting conversation and beyond the subject of jeans (whatever the color or style) it speaks to both psychological and sociological aspects of human nature in general, I think. I have read similar threads, discussing dress codes, on a number of cruise line boards. So it obviously is a topic that touches/concerns/strikes a nerve/interests many people.

We have only been on one (non Regent) cruise, but we all truly enjoyed getting a little dressed up for the “formal” nights. Our 14 year old grandson (amazingly for a young man who generally prefers jeans, jerseys and a baseball cap) loved his new outfit of dress slacks, dress shirt and tie. And as long as our son didn’t have to wear a tie, he was happy to put on a sport coat with dress shirt and slacks. DH is a collared shirt kind of guy anyway. We girls were easy....we love doing a little dress up. And we got a lovely family photo as a result!

For the two of us on our Regent cruise this spring, we’ll have no problem with the dress code and will enjoy the special feel of people “dressing for dinner”. Perhaps that speaks to our advancing age as much as anything.

... What are jeans and what is denim? ...

The etymology is that "jeans" is a corruption of the name of a type of cloth from Genoa. The French in Nimes then made something similar, and the cloth was originally named for the town, "serge de Nimes", which became "denim".

Now, of course, those original meaning of the words have little relevance to what they mean now.

People, Regent's evening dress code is fine with me. Most men have plenty of casual no-iron slacks, and have no problem wearing them. I'm certainly not crossing Regent off my list due to the evening dress code. I merely pointed out above that Celebrity (and maybe other lines too) has gotten rid of the jeans prohibition, and I think I see the beginning of a trend toward more casual dress on ships and everywhere. But one line that is off my list due to its evening dress code is Silversea. which has mandatory, full-blown, dark suit and tie or tux formal nights. Last I was on that line, most men wore tuxes, and so did I, but did not enjoy it.

Way to much info😯

I had to laugh at this as it certainly brought back some memories.

I too had a stringent school dress code which I and many female classmates pushed to the limit and questioned, petitioned and eventually protested. Our minor Hemline Rebellion effected both a new uniform and dress code.