vintage cars Cuba book with marella or independent

I did this last year. Booked with Marella (Thomson) Can't remember the cost (not very high). It was great fun with a whole fleet of cars travelling together and a good choice of car. I really like the cars all going together with was very loud and made it a bit special in a group

There are plenty of cars available on-spec in front of El Capitolio Nacional (National Capitol, a mini-version of the Capitol in Washington DC). It's about 15 - 20 mins walk from your ship, or on the ho-ho route, or it's an attraction in its own right, or you're bound to pass by at some time.

Choose the car for yourselves, choose the length of tour, choose where to go & where to stop - though the driver can set the itinerary if you don't want to.

Thomson don't cream as much for their excursions as most cruise lines, but they still take a big cut and you're stuck with their vehicle allocation, their timing, etc.:rolleyes:

Totally unnecessary.

JB :)

There are plenty of cars available on-spec in front of El Capitolio Nacional (National Capitol, a mini-version of the Capitol in Washington DC). It's about 15 - 20 mins walk from your ship, or on the ho-ho route, or it's an attraction in its own right, or you're bound to pass by at some time.

Choose the car for yourselves, choose the length of tour, choose where to go & where to stop - though the driver can set the itinerary if you don't want to.

Thomson don't cream as much for their excursions as most cruise lines, but they still take a big cut and you're stuck with their vehicle allocation, their timing, etc.:rolleyes:

Totally unnecessary.

I would consider insurance and the hassle of getting the correct currency when doing any trip in Cuba independently. Just a thought :-)

have been reading a post on cruise critic itinerary may have been changed so will wait now for confirmation all your input has been valuable thankyou

Yes, I've heard of US ships' itineraries being changed & Cuba being cancelled.

I've kinda presumed that's because of The Donald's administration, so it may only apply to US ships.

Fingers crossed (yn)

ps Longislandtea - it's well worth getting Cuban tourist currency (CUC) for even a one-day visit, let alone an overnite. I'm not sure about cards or whether any other currency is acceptable (by law). Could make for a thirsty evening.

I don't know whether CUC are available in the UK, but certainly in the cruise terminal - take cash sterling to exchange, you don't want card charges or the commission double-whammy of changing US dollars.

Presumably the cruise line books the appropriate number of cars - so is it the first folk who get the choice of cars & the last get Hobson's choice? But driving in convoy sounds like fun :)

Yes, I've heard of US ships' itineraries being changed & Cuba being cancelled.

I've kinda presumed that's because of The Donald's administration, so it may only apply to US ships.

Fingers crossed (yn)

ps Longislandtea - it's well worth getting Cuban tourist currency (CUC) for even a one-day visit, let alone an overnite. I'm not sure about cards or whether any other currency is acceptable (by law). Could make for a thirsty evening.

I don't know whether CUC are available in the UK, but certainly in the cruise terminal - take cash sterling to exchange, you don't want card charges or the commission double-whammy of changing US dollars.

Presumably the cruise line books the appropriate number of cars - so is it the first folk who get the choice of cars & the last get Hobson's choice? But driving in convoy sounds like fun :)

Good points..... A friend of mine has this booked and said the overnight stop has been cancelled, but still there for the day.