are CMV ships suitable for disabled

teddytumtum

I am wondering if anyone has been on any of CMV ships. I use a scooter, would I be able to use it on the ship or only on shore excursions? I have contacted CMV but get conflicting advice, so any first hand knowledge would be much appreciated. Have posted on he CMV board but no replies, hoping someone on this forum will be able to reply. Thank you

I am wondering if anyone has been on any of CMV ships. I use a scooter, would I be able to use it on the ship or only on shore excursions? I have contacted CMV but get conflicting advice, so any first hand knowledge would be much appreciated. Have posted on he CMV board but no replies, hoping someone on this forum will be able to reply. Thank you

Perhaps you overlooked the information reqarding Mobility/Special Needs on CMV's website . Being that most of CMV's ships are older recycled ships from other cruise lines they're probably not the best suited for people with disabilities. Additionally since the website states that anyone with Mobility/Special Needs has to contact CMV directly to get written authorization to be able to book is perhaps an indication it may not be the best option.

Following copied directly from CMV's website.

Mobility/Special Needs

If you or one of your travelling companions has a mobility limitation or special needs, it is essential that you contact our office to allow us to discuss your requirements before you make a booking. Firstly though, please read the panel headed ‘Maritime Passenger Rights’ within the
booking conditions
as this contains important information. In the interests of safety, and in order to ascertain whether you or members of the party travelling with you have specific mobility or other special needs, you will be asked a series of questions. The answers to these will enable us to determine that you, any other person in your booking, and any equipment that you or they are intending to bring on board can be carried safely for the duration of your cruise. This will then be confirmed in writing to you, and will enable your booking to proceed. A cruise is quite unlike a land based holiday and the ships of our fleet are not ideally suited to prospective passengers in wheelchairs or those who have limited mobility. It should be noted that the layout of the ship could considerably restrict such passengers’ movement around the vessel and indeed preclude access to some of the ports of call, where gangway conditions are not conducive or passengers are conveyed ashore by tender. At anchorage ports, access to or from the tenders or launches requires a certain level of mobility which is necessary to manage the steps to the tender platform and to physically board and disembark from the vessel. It should therefore be noted that, on safety grounds, those with restricted mobility may be unable to go ashore at such ports.

Link to CMV's booking conditions.