We want to cruise Australia New Zealand

When is the best time of the year to cruise this area?

Is it best to do back to back cruises, one focused on Australia, and one on New Zealand, or book a cruise which starts and ends in Australia, and extend several days on land to see more of that continent?

Thx,

Barb and John

New Zealand is best in summer - between November and March. The best time for Australia varies because the continent is so large. It's virtually the size of the continental USA. Many visitors want to go to North Queensland to see the Great Barrier Reef and maybe Uluru (Ayers Rock). Summer isn't the best time for either of these areas. Summer is the wet season in the far north so it will be hot, very humid and likely to be wet. There is the possibility of a cyclone although these are infrequent and unpredictable. Central Australia is very hot in summer. Therefore, if you want to go to these areas in one visit to Australia and New Zealand, it requires a compromise. Part of your trip will not be in optimum conditions.

It will also depend on what cruiseline you prefer to sail with, or if the itinerary is more of a factor than the cruiseline or ship.

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean for example are only in Australia from about October till April.

The best compromise, in my opinion, is to start with NZ in late February or March as that is when the weather is most likely to be at it's best (no guarantees though). If possible spend some time doing some land travel there, inland in the South Island visiting Mt Cook and Queenstown. Then cruise Auckland to Sydney. Most of the cruises take 12-14 days. Spend some time in Sydney on arrival, then fly to other parts of Australia depending on what sort of sightseeing you like. Realistically, unless you've got a month to do a circumnavigation of Australia, it's not ideal for cruising to see the sights.

The best compromise, in my opinion, is to start with NZ in late February or March as that is when the weather is most likely to be at it's best (no guarantees though). If possible spend some time doing some land travel there, inland in the South Island visiting Mt Cook and Queenstown. Then cruise Auckland to Sydney. Most of the cruises take 12-14 days. Spend some time in Sydney on arrival, then fly to other parts of Australia depending on what sort of sightseeing you like. Realistically, unless you've got a month to do a circumnavigation of Australia, it's not ideal for cruising to see the sights.

This timing is a good compromise.

Or start in Australia and mid to Late October then move on to NZ.

It really comes down to what you want to see, how much time you have and how much you can spend.

Spring weather in NZ is not as reliable as late summer/early autumn.

As intending and most welcome visitors to our great country downunder you may like to swot up on the following thread (although a year old is still relevant today as it was then.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2362723

Is everything on this thread true? What are the chances we’ll run into one of those spiders in Sydney? What are the chances that a Koala Bear will pee on us while holding it? Holding one of these bears is a huge dream of mine and we’re doing a tour of the sanctuary.

Is everything on this thread true? What are the chances we’ll run into one of those spiders in Sydney? What are the chances that a Koala Bear will pee on us while holding it? Holding one of these bears is a huge dream of mine and we’re doing a tour of the sanctuary.

The chances are a million to one, but still they come.;p

Is everything on this thread true?

Not everything!

What are the chances we’ll run into one of those spiders in Sydney?

Very unlikely, although look out for wallabys on the harbour bridge (but only in the middle of the night). http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/wallaby-in-custody-after-bouncing-over-sydney-harbour-bridge-20180115-h0irxx.html

What are the chances that a Koala Bear will pee on us while holding it? Holding one of these bears is a huge dream of mine and we’re doing a tour of the sanctuary.

Minimal.

Don't worry about a koala peeing on you. It is very unlikely. You are also unlikely to encounter a red-back spider. My son-in-law was bitten under his foot about six weeks ago. After three days he went to a hospital where they diagnosed the issue and just advised that he take Nurofen to ease the pain. Unfortunately they were going on a trip to NZ only 6 days after he was bitten. He still has discomfort.

Any chance a red back spider would be in your cabin?

Red backs aren't the most dangerous spider in Australia, and even though they are common in the back shed or garden you don't see that many inside. I would think the chance of a red back getting on to a cruise ship would be almost non existent.

Red backs aren't the most dangerous spider in Australia, and even though they are common in the back shed or garden you don't see that many inside. I would think the chance of a red back getting on to a cruise ship would be almost non existent.

Agreed, they like to hide in or under things in dark, damp areas like holes, or under building debris and such. There is nothing like that on a ship except for maybe in the engine room and I suspect even there it would be too clean.

Just come on down and enjoy your holiday - and the Aussie humour as well - we love to take the mickey out of everything and everyone, in a nice way of course.

Why your chances of encountering a red back spider, a croc jumping into your boat or a koala peeing on you is about the same as finding a raccoon in the attic of the five star hotel you might stay in while in Sydney.

And raccoons are not even a native animal to Australia.

Edited by Bpos

Don't worry about the Koala's, definitely hold one if that is what you really want. They are cute and cuddly but sometimes they do pee, just hold it away like you would a baby without a nappy on.

You crack me up ...can't stop laughing