fares to White Bay

I usually round up and give the driver $30. Just part of the cruise. Tried Uber once from the terminal and whilst it was cheaper, the driver had no idea how to get to the terminal. Tried to get in via Roberts Rd, which is closed to traffic when the ships are in.

From the airport it is $55 to $60. I know that wasn't your question, but if you are paying train fares then handling your luggage on and off the train, it might be simpler (and not much more expensive) to get a taxi from the airport.

But if they aren’t flying in?

But if they aren’t flying in?

That is why I put in the disclaimer that it was not their question. However, as they are from USA, I thought there is a fair chance they will be flying in. But even if they are coming by train from another part of Sydney, I felt it was worth making the point that a taxi is easier by far and not much more expensive than a train/taxi combo. People spend thousands of dollars on their cruise, then go to a lot of effort to save $10 or so on the cost of getting to the ship.

That is why I put in the disclaimer that it was not their question. However, as they are from USA, I thought there is a fair chance they will be flying in. But even if they are coming by train from another part of Sydney, I felt it was worth making the point that a taxi is easier by far and not much more expensive than a train/taxi combo. People spend thousands of dollars on their cruise, then go to a lot of effort to save $10 or so on the cost of getting to the ship.

I spend thousands on my cruises too, but still save a backroad two when I can.

However I agree that sometimes the more expensive option wins hands down.

November 2017 $28 each way. Make sure they follow White Bay signs, there is alternative but not open on cruise days and unfortunately not all drivers know. One trip cab driver tried it and was told we would still only pay $28 because we knew he would have to go back the right way.

If energetic you could get train to Wynyard Station and Wynn Ard walk, to a ferry terminal and get the ferry across for $9 ea then walk about 900 Metre to terminal. We get train to Sydney and have done this when on short cruise with not much luggage.

Definitely a taxi or even Uber, just make sure that they are aware of which way to go.

If the taxi is coming from the direction of the CBD, they will have to go across the Anzac Bridge. While you are on the bridge, you can see the ship to your right and it seems logical to turn that way. However, immediately at the end of the bridge, the taxi must turn left and go around under the bridge to reach the terminal. I think most of the drivers would know where to go now, although I have to say we have had some totally 'clueless' taxi drivers in Sydney.

When White Bay terminal first opened, our taxi went the wrong way. The driver and my husband ignored me when I said there was a sign saying there was no access to the terminal the way we were going. We got very close to the ship and reached a 'guard' in a little hut in the middle of the road. He told the driver we could not reach the ship that way and gave him directions. Ten minutes later we arrived at the same guard hut but on the otherside. Grrr.. As the terminal was new, I think he should have let us through but told the driver that he would not be able to do that in future.

• 3 weeks later...