First time on Paul Gauguin, need help

123gosea

We will be on Paul Gauguin 11 days cruise (Huahine,Aitutaki, Rarotonga, Bora-Bora, Taha’a, Moorea) on November 2018. It will be our first Paul Gauguin and FrenchPolynesian experience. This board has many helpful hints, but I still have some questions that I could not find the answers to.

1. We will be in Bora Bora for 2 days. Does PG offer Patrick’s tour (BRB-1602,BRB-1603) both days?

2. If we take Patrick tour one day and PureSnorkeling excursion next day, will we miss any other “must see” sights?

3. We are experienced snorkelers, but novice scubadivers. What is the best place toscuba? Does it worth it, or we will havea similar experience just snorkeling?

4. If we don’t want to rent a car in Moorea what arethe top 3 things to do (we have 2 days)

We will appreciate any other suggestions for these ports (weare the ocean and nature lovers, and don’t like a large group excursion).

Thank you

We will be on Paul Gauguin 11 days cruise (Huahine,Aitutaki, Rarotonga, Bora-Bora, Taha’a, Moorea) on November 2018. It will be our first Paul Gauguin and FrenchPolynesian experience. This board has many helpful hints, but I still have some questions that I could not find the answers to.

1. We will be in Bora Bora for 2 days. Does PG offer Patrick’s tour (BRB-1602,BRB-1603) both days?

2. If we take Patrick tour one day and PureSnorkeling excursion next day, will we miss any other “must see” sights?

3. We are experienced snorkelers, but novice scubadivers. What is the best place toscuba? Does it worth it, or we will havea similar experience just snorkeling?

4. If we don’t want to rent a car in Moorea what arethe top 3 things to do (we have 2 days)

We will appreciate any other suggestions for these ports (weare the ocean and nature lovers, and don’t like a large group excursion).

Can't answer all these, but I'll try. As for what tours are about in BB on what days, you'd have to check the listed tours. I'm not an expert on who runs those tours--I know Patrick is a private operator, didn't know he did ship's tours, but probably he does. You could phone PG and ask.

If you are novice scuba divers, just make sure to get certified before you go--I wouldn't waste my time in FP learning how to dive. Can't comment on the diving, I'm just a snorkeler.

Moorea: Sights on land include the Belvedere (#1)--it's included on most of the land tours, like the 4x4 tour, or the ATV tour (haven't done the latter myself.) There's the agricultural research station up that way as well, which is interesting. As for excursions, Dr. Poole's Dolphin watch would be #1 for me. Or the catamaran/snorkel boat ride. Shopping for pearls is fun too!

We just got back from the same itinerary on the Jan 6th sailing and like you prefer small group excursions. I can’t answer all of your questions but will provide info on Bora-Bora and Moorea.

We did the Pure Snorkeling tour and absolutely loved it although our captain felt it was too rough/windy to go find the sharks outside the reef. The coral gardens and aquarium do not disappoint and we enjoyed touring with a small group. After our morning snorkeling with Pure we returned to the ship for lunch and then took the tender back to town to shop for a bit. We shopped the morning of our second day and then went to the PG private Motu for a couple of hours in the afternoon. We thought about taking a tour on our second morning but felt we saw so much of the island from the sea during our half day with Pure and we wanted to go to the Motu.

Our first day on Moorea we booked a private ATV tour with Moorea Activity Center. We have never ridden ATVs before and I can say it was one of the highlights of our trip. Our group was really small - just 3 couples and our guide. The views were stunning and we saw so much of the interior of the island. We booked a catamaran sailing and snorkel excursion with Viola for our second day. We loved the small size (just 2 couples and the captain) and the boat. The highlight of this excursion was swimming with the sharks and stingrays. Our guide was very nice but pretty hands off compared to the guide with Moorea Miti Tours who held stingrays for his guests to touch. After our three snorkeling stops we sailed in the bay, which was very relaxing. We had lunch back on the boat then had a little time to shop for pearls and souvenirs. There were other things that sounded interesting to us - jet skis, whale watching (they told us September is best time to see whales), and dolphins. Next time (I hope there is a next time) we will either stay on Moorea for several days pre cruise or just do a land based trip there.

We also really enjoyed Teking’s tour in Aitutaki.

Hope this helps!

Thank you

On Moorea do a ATV TOUR, you will get to see the inside of the island and it's lots of fun. 3389e624755619960e1272a287260e25.jpg80440406ac9b65f054034c7da0903586.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I appreciate everybody responses. I realized that it will not be easy to choose the excursions – because I love all your suggestions. We definitely will do Pure snorkeling tour and ATV tour in Moorea.

Is Dr.Poole’s excursion part of PG tour? Doeshe offer it in November? I read that the whale season is from June to October.

Thank you for taking your time!

We just got back from the same itinerary on the Jan 6th sailing and like you prefer small group excursions. I can’t answer all of your questions but will provide info on Bora-Bora and Moorea.

We did the Pure Snorkeling tour and absolutely loved it although our captain felt it was too rough/windy to go find the sharks outside the reef. The coral gardens and aquarium do not disappoint and we enjoyed touring with a small group. After our morning snorkeling with Pure we returned to the ship for lunch and then took the tender back to town to shop for a bit. We shopped the morning of our second day and then went to the PG private Motu for a couple of hours in the afternoon. We thought about taking a tour on our second morning but felt we saw so much of the island from the sea during our half day with Pure and we wanted to go to the Motu.

Our first day on Moorea we booked a private ATV tour with Moorea Activity Center. We have never ridden ATVs before and I can say it was one of the highlights of our trip. Our group was really small - just 3 couples and our guide. The views were stunning and we saw so much of the interior of the island. We booked a catamaran sailing and snorkel excursion with Viola for our second day. We loved the small size (just 2 couples and the captain) and the boat. The highlight of this excursion was swimming with the sharks and stingrays. Our guide was very nice but pretty hands off compared to the guide with Moorea Miti Tours who held stingrays for his guests to touch. After our three snorkeling stops we sailed in the bay, which was very relaxing. We had lunch back on the boat then had a little time to shop for pearls and souvenirs. There were other things that sounded interesting to us - jet skis, whale watching (they told us September is best time to see whales), and dolphins. Next time (I hope there is a next time) we will either stay on Moorea for several days pre cruise or just do a land based trip there.

We also really enjoyed Teking’s tour in Aitutaki.

Hope this helps!

Karen,

Thank you very much for details on Bora-Bora and Moorea. How long was your ATV tour?

I have noticed that Teking offers 4 different tours. What tour did you take?

Thanks

If you are a certified diver I would dive on Moorea. The only downside is that it is at the end of your cruise and if you find you really love it the trip is over and there are not other opportunities. On Moorea tons of tropical fish, sharks and turtles.

We are certified divers, probably need to take a refresh course prior to the cruise, since we did not dive for last 10 years. What did you see during scuba in Moorea that you could not see snorkeling?

Thank you

Is Dr.Poole’s excursion part of PG tour? Doeshe offer it in November? I read that the whale season is from June to October.

Usually it is a PG tour. He is a working marine biologist, so the tours are often but not always available.

November is a bit late for whales, but ...

Other times the spinner dolphins are quite a treat. Once he couldn't find whales, dolphins, or much of anything, so we ended up circling Moorea in his boat. That itself was wonderful: as you will soon discover Moorea is the prettiest place on the planet and seeing it from the ocean is lovely.

Karen,

Thank you very much for details on Bora-Bora and Moorea. How long was your ATV tour?

Thanks

Snorkeling Safari Cruise (the tour on the top of the reservation site) ;)

The BBQ motu: Aitutaki%20lagoon17%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

The BBQ:

BBQ%20grill%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

The lagoon is stunning:

Aitutaki%20lagoon6%20%281%20of%201%29-X3.jpg

Tahitianbigkahuna,

Your pictures are so beautiful, thank you for sharing. Can you snorkel from a shore in the lagoon?

Yes you can .... actually off of some of the motus but the best snorkeling is in the lagoon though the shelf is a good spot to easily get out of the boat and then go over to the drop off. Just ask the skipper where the shelf/drop off is.

Usually it is a PG tour. He is a working marine biologist, so the tours are often but not always available.

November is a bit late for whales, but ...

Other times the spinner dolphins are quite a treat. Once he couldn't find whales, dolphins, or much of anything, so we ended up circling Moorea in his boat. That itself was wonderful: as you will soon discover Moorea is the prettiest place on the planet and seeing it from the ocean is lovely.

How many people in Dr. Poole’s tour? What type of boat does he use?

Thank you

On Moorea hour dive should/may see shakes, turtles, eels, tons of tropical fish and lots of little stuff that your dive master should point out.

With Pure Snorkeling ask specifically for a snorkel to see clown fish. They know,where the soft coral are and the clown fish are really cool to see.

Karen,

Thanks

We did the Long ATV tour that included Magic Mountain, which is incredible! The tour was scheduled for 3.5 hours. We took the first tender at 8:30am and arrived back to the tender pier close to 1pm.

We did the all day Snorkel Safari Lagoon tour with Teking. We had beautiful weather and Really enjoyed our day.

Belvedere Lookout has amazing views, however, I found the lookout at Magic mountain to be even better. It offers an amazing 180 degree view of the shoreline and lagoon and the colours were spectacular. You cannot drive a car there, however. You must either hike it are take a 4WD excursion. It's worth it.

Go on a inner island tour of the waterfalls ... it’s beautiful ;)

Have the tour desk at the IC set it up. Or have them contact Patrick ...

Is Patrick a private tour guide? Can I contact him directly or he works strictly through IC?

Also, I have read in your previous posts that Polynesian show in IC must see. Do I need to make a reservation ahead of an arrival?

Thank you very much for valuable information you have provided.

Is Patrick a private tour guide? Can I contact him directly or he works strictly through IC?

Also, I have read in your previous posts that Polynesian show in IC must see. Do I need to make a reservation ahead of an arrival?

Thank you very much for valuable information you have provided.

Patrick is a private vendor but I would think if you asked the tour desk they would get in contact with him .

No you don’t need a reservation

This was his email address: patrickadventure@mail.pf

But some have said he now works through a larger group: https://www.tahiti.com/activities/4x4-jeep-safari-tour-3153

I would still recommend asking the concierge at the IC to help you contact Patrick, he is well known.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

This was his email address: patrickadventure@mail.pf

But some have said he now works through a larger group: https://www.tahiti.com/activities/4x4-jeep-safari-tour-3153

I would still recommend asking the concierge at the IC to help you contact Patrick, he is well known.

Thank you very much for helpful information. I will reach to the concierge upon arrival.