Wearing foot brace Visit to Japanese temples

Syl4peace

How do you manage taking off your shoes when you are wearing a foot brace that is inserted in your shoe. (Foot Drop)

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Rarely do you have to remove your shoes when visiting Japanese Shinto Shrines which some people confuse as being a temples as typically you're not actually entering a building. Shrines are typically outside and are gated to seperate humans from the Gods and you do not actually enter it. However there may be a few times depending on the cities you're traveling in which you have to actually enter a building which is more likely to be a Temple rather than a Shrine. The difference is a Shrine is homage to the Gods were as a Temple pays homage to Buddha. In this case suggest you purchase surgical booties to cover your shoes or bring a pair of slippers that you are able to wear/walk with you brace. Japan is more sensitive to the needs of the disabled better than other Asian Countries. Worst case senerio there might a time you may have to forego going into a building .

On a side note when actually in a Temple ask if you can take photos. Typically you are only allowed to take photos on the outside of temples but not in the inside of temples. This does not apply to Shrines.

Edited by xxoocruiser

How do you manage taking off your shoes when you are wearing a foot brace that is inserted in your shoe. (Foot Drop)

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Last year, we spent a couple of weeks in Japan, some regular tourist sites, and some off the beaten path (some very special experiences!).

I have a broken foot that did not heal properly, and I cannot hobble barefoot on a hard, flat surface for more than a few steps. I have permanent custom orthotics in all shoes/boots/slippers. (Yes, this also causes lots of fun at airport security, but that's separate.)

We had a private tour through Kensington, and we had them inquire of a few places where we knew there would be "problems", given that I would not be able to use even the regularly offered guest "slip-ons".

I have found one specific "flip-flop" type footwear that is extremely heavily padded, almost like walking on a thick spong, and I use them as quick slippers when I travel, or at beaches (with older pairs sacrificed to the salt water after a holiday, etc.).

I purchased a couple of brand new pairs in a separate color (for our own memory!), and arranged that those would ONLY be worn "indoors". Due to language difficulties, there were some temples (and a couple of temple/museums) where it took a bit of time to explain, but we also showed them the soles, which were clearly "new". I carried a pair in my day tote at all times while in Japan.

In temples/museums where there would be an especially long walk, we ended up using a wheelchair. Those seemed to be available almost everywhere other than small rural traditional inns, etc. Sometimes we just had to ask, and someone got one for us.

Perhaps you could find a cloth or disposable "booties" (like those used in hospitals or by some workmen in your home, etc.) that you could put over your shoes, so that only the fresh/clean bootie surface would touch the inside floors? Just bring a bunch of them.

I did feel very self-conscious when using my special "indoor" slippers, because most other people around did not realize these were "special" and also "approved". I did get some very disapproving looks, unfortunately, and I hated to be thought to be disrespectful when in fact that wasn't the case...

Good luck.

GC

Some folks, (amputees with a prosthesis with a shoe on it) cannot take off their shoe...or they would have to remove their leg. It will be fine.

I do think that it would still be appropriate (or more) to have little booties so the "outdoors" isn't tracked inside.

(I can assure you that when I showed the "very clean, obviously new" soles of my special "indoor" slippers, each time, anyone looking (aka, checking out this request) looked very relieved.

One problem remaining was that in some very traditional places (Inns, Monasteries), there were "toilet slippers", which were kept immediately inside the bathroom ("toilet room"), and one was to put them on while in that room, and remove them just as one stepped back out.

I was okay there, as it was never more than a couple of steps (think a "half bath"/lav in the USA), so I could hobble without my own special footwear.

A special pair of booties could be kept right inside the toilet room for just this purpose, I think, and not used elsewhere.

All one can do is to do one's best, and also explain the situation, so the hosts/hostesses don't consider it simple disrespect.

GC