Carnival Australia - why no alcoholic beverage packages?

Missusdubbya

Does anyone think it's weird that Carnival Australia doesn't sell alcoholic beverage packages like Carnival US does?

Can't Australians be trusted?

It really puts me off booking with them out of Australia!

If anyone has cruised on Legend or Spirit can you advise if you thought the alcoholic beverage prices were reasonable?

TIA

Does anyone think it's weird that Carnival Australia doesn't sell alcoholic beverage packages like Carnival US does?

If anyone has cruised on Legend or Spirit can you advise if you thought the alcoholic beverage prices were reasonable?

TIA

Not too long ago Princess didn’t either.

I think they’re worried by just how much some Aussies can drink and the profit margins.

I believe its a combination of things...1 reason is they market themselves as a family cruise line and dont want too many "Booze cruisers" on board to take away from that and the second reason is its not profitable to do so.

They do have quite decent wine packages. Two different levels and five bottles per package at around 25% discount on the bottle prices. There are about ten wines in each package. I can't remember the prices, unfortunately.

We did a nine day cruise and averaged around $53pp per days for drinks. We bought two wine packages, had cocktails before and after dinner, and sometimes a cocktail poolside. We bought some bottled water and the occasional speciality coffee. It certainly worked out cheaper than the Princess drinks package at the time ($59) let alone the drinks packages from other cruise lines. If anything we probably drank more cocktails on that cruise as we hung out in the Piano Bar after dinner on quite a few nights.

They do have quite decent wine packages. Two different levels and five bottles per package at around 25% discount on the bottle prices. There are about ten wines in each package. I can't remember the prices, unfortunately.

Thanks Kiwi, I will check them out

TIA

I wonder whether the Aussie Gov't has asked cruiselines to not offer drink packages as part of the campaign to curb heavy drinking - Australia has a long history of abusing alcohol more than other countries of similar background - over drinking and alcohol-fueled violence are very much embedded in the culture. (I grew up in Australia, so I don't say this as an outsider looking in.)

In some Aussie states (maybe all by now), bartenders are heavily policed for how they make drinks, including usage of Gov't-approved shot glasses, etc, to ensure drinkers know exactly how much they have had (no excuse that "the bartender must have been generous!").

Or maybe, as someone else said, Carnival realizes it will simply make more money not offering it.

• 4 months later...
I believe all Australian cruises have to go through Carnival Australia. I asked my PVP if he could book it and he said no.

You are correct, it will be counted in the "days" towards loyalty either.