Question re flying NY to Quebec

sofmall

Due to NCL cancelling our round trip cruise, originally starting in New York but now changed to a one-way cruise (on Norwegian Gem) from Quebec to NY, we need to book a flight from New York to Quebec to pick up our cruise.

We're in Australia but the reason we need a flight out of New York is that we'll be on a different NCL cruise out of NY from 30 Sept. to 7 Oct. Originally our two cruises were almost back to backs - the reason we chose them! - since we were to board the second cruise ship in NY on the 8th. But since the itinerary was changed we need to disembark on the 7th, head straight to an airport, and fly to Quebec. So our almost-back-to-back has become one cruise out of the States followed by the other out of a different country!

So my questions...

1. Our first cruise is, according to the itinerary, docking in NY at 8am. This is later than any cruise we've been on so far... usually they get in earlier but we have never cruised into New York. If anyone's familiar with NCL's cruises into NY (the ship will be Norwegian Escape) is that 8am possibly going to be earlier or do they stick strictly to the given times? I don't know what time we'd even be off the ship, though we will definitely be up bright and early and happy to carry our own luggage off.

2. How long would it take us to get from the Manhattan cruise terminal to an airport? I'm guessing La Guardia but maybe JFK International. I need to figure out what time flight to book, allowing us wiggle room and avoiding stress, whilst trying to make sure we get to Quebec not so late that we miss out on valuable sightseeing time.

I can see a flight out of La Guardia at 12.55 pm and am wondering if we'd realistically make that one in time?

3. Would we be best pre-booking a shuttle to the airport (maybe not, since it would be shared and therefore could take longer), grabbing a taxi, taking an Uber... ?

I'd really appreciate input from anyone who's on the spot, or with experience of cruises and flights in and out of New York. Thanks! It's really hard to even imagine the logistics from here in Australia.

Due to NCL cancelling our round trip cruise, originally starting in New York but now changed to a one-way cruise (on Norwegian Gem) from Quebec to NY, we need to book a flight from New York to Quebec to pick up our cruise.

We're in Australia but the reason we need a flight out of New York is that we'll be on a different NCL cruise out of NY from 30 Sept. to 7 Oct. Originally our two cruises were almost back to backs - the reason we chose them! - since we were to board the second cruise ship in NY on the 8th. But since the itinerary was changed we need to disembark on the 7th, head straight to an airport, and fly to Quebec. So our almost-back-to-back has become one cruise out of the States followed by the other out of a different country!

So my questions...

1. Our first cruise is, according to the itinerary, docking in NY at 8am. This is later than any cruise we've been on so far... usually they get in earlier but we have never cruised into New York. If anyone's familiar with NCL's cruises into NY (the ship will be Norwegian Escape) is that 8am possibly going to be earlier or do they stick strictly to the given times? I don't know what time we'd even be off the ship, though we will definitely be up bright and early and happy to carry our own luggage off.

2. How long would it take us to get from the Manhattan cruise terminal to an airport? I'm guessing La Guardia but maybe JFK International. I need to figure out what time flight to book, allowing us wiggle room and avoiding stress, whilst trying to make sure we get to Quebec not so late that we miss out on valuable sightseeing time.

I can see a flight out of La Guardia at 12.55 pm and am wondering if we'd realistically make that one in time?

3. Would we be best pre-booking a shuttle to the airport (maybe not, since it would be shared and therefore could take longer), grabbing a taxi, taking an Uber... ?

I'd really appreciate input from anyone who's on the spot, or with experience of cruises and flights in and out of New York. Thanks! It's really hard to even imagine the logistics from here in Australia.

You should easily be able to make a 12:55 flight out of La Guardia. You would want to be at airport by 10:55ish. On a Sunday morning, it should not take much more than 30 minutes to get there by Uber or taxi. Even if you get into port at 8, you would certainly be off before 10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should easily be able to make a 12:55 flight out of La Guardia. You would want to be at airport by 10:55ish. On a Sunday morning, it should not take much more than 30 minutes to get there by Uber or taxi. Even if you get into port at 8, you would certainly be off before 10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's really helpful and reassuring, thank you. I've booked us with Air Canada on a 12.45 flight out of La Guardia. We'll carry our own bags off the ship and head straight to the airport.

Twickenham, the non stop flight sounded great but turned out to be just too expensive, especially with currency conversion factored in too. The one we booked isn't too bad; it will be in Quebec at about 3.45.

That's really helpful and reassuring, thank you. I've booked us with Air Canada on a 12.45 flight out of La Guardia. We'll carry our own bags off the ship and head straight to the airport.

Twickenham, the non stop flight sounded great but turned out to be just too expensive, especially with currency conversion factored in too. The one we booked isn't too bad; it will be in Quebec at about 3.45.

If you are carrying your own bags, you should have no trouble making that 12:45 flight.

Assuming you will be spending the night in Quebec and boarding the following day, I hope you book a hotel in the old city - which is a beautiful and unique spot, best seen on foot - less expensive hotels in the new city will mean a lot of lost opportunity. We stayed at the Hotel Ste. Anne, on Rue Ste. Anne this past October - comfortable, not really pricey - and an ideal base for seeing the old city - just a five minute taxi ride from the cruise terminal.

Yes we'll be over-nighting in Quebec. I've already booked an AirBnB which is in a guesthouse in a 17th century building in the old city, located Côte de la Montagne.

I just took a look at your hotel and it looks beautiful... the type of decor, brick walls etc remind me of the place I booked.

We board the next day but the ship overnights in Quebec so we get 2 full days, plus what's left of the day we arrive.

Yes we'll be over-nighting in Quebec. I've already booked an AirBnB which is in a guesthouse in a 17th century building in the old city, located Côte de la Montagne.

I just took a look at your hotel and it looks beautiful... the type of decor, brick walls etc remind me of the place I booked.

We board the next day but the ship overnights in Quebec so we get 2 full days, plus what's left of the day we arrive.

Have a great time - there are wonderful small restaurants - throughout the old city - and you should ride the funicular down to the lower city - some great 17th century waterfront bars.

I hear you. I just wanted to point out the existence of that flight since you didn't mention EWR, only JFK or LGA. I'm certainly one who's more than willing to add connections if it is cheaper or gets me a better flying experience - which is why I'm flying to Barcelona in 2 weeks' time via Warsaw :D

Great location - this is the road that links Upper Town and Lower Town. Depending on how much luggage you have, you could actually walk to the cruise terminal, it's that close. And lots of great restaurants in that area, just read menus until you see one you like.

I hear you. I just wanted to point out the existence of that flight since you didn't mention EWR, only JFK or LGA. I'm certainly one who's more than willing to add connections if it is cheaper or gets me a better flying experience - which is why I'm flying to Barcelona in 2 weeks' time via Warsaw :D

Great location - this is the road that links Upper Town and Lower Town. Depending on how much luggage you have, you could actually walk to the cruise terminal, it's that close. And lots of great restaurants in that area, just read menus until you see one you like.

I thought I'd chosen well, but not THAT well! We paid a little more than for some AirBnb's available, but I sensed from reading a bit about Quebec that the location would be good. I wasn't aware of how close the cruise terminal is either.