naples port to pompeii

We want to go from Naples port to Pompeii by taxi or some other transport. Last time we did the ship tour but this time we want to just go to Pompeii. Has anyone any advice on the best way to do this.

Thanks

We used a company called Mondoguide (mondoguide.com) last year. The tour we did also went to Pompeii, Amalfi coast and Sorento, but I think they also do shorter ones to just Pompeii. For what is worth, going all the way Amalfi coast made it a bit rushed, so I would go for a shorter version to Pompeii only next time I went.

They were quite a good company with bus transfers, and a guide through Pompei itself.

Check out Toms Port Guides. I have found his info very helpful in getting my own way around ports in Europe. He has also included how to get to Herculeman in his guides. I usually print them out and take with me. Good luck....V

Naples is one of my fav ports. Easiest would be to walk out the terminal and negotiate a price with one of the waiting taxis. Shouldn't take too long and make for a fun ride the way local taxis drive! Cheaper option would be to walk out the terminal and catch a tram a couple of kms down the road to the train station ( I think it's Stazione Garibaldi) and then take a train to Pompeii station about 30 mins away. You may have to buy tram ticket from a news kiosk or similar on the footpath. Ask locals to point you in right direction as you walk out of port. Been a few years since I did this myself, but was pretty easy. You could google to find exact names of stations etc I've just mentioned.

Naples is one of my fav ports. Easiest would be to walk out the terminal and negotiate a price with one of the waiting taxis. Shouldn't take too long and make for a fun ride the way local taxis drive! Cheaper option would be to walk out the terminal and catch a tram a couple of kms down the road to the train station ( I think it's Stazione Garibaldi) and then take a train to Pompeii station about 30 mins away. You may have to buy tram ticket from a news kiosk or similar on the footpath. Ask locals to point you in right direction as you walk out of port. Been a few years since I did this myself, but was pretty easy. You could google to find exact names of stations etc I've just mentioned.

Just a short walk from the port is a tram stop and kiosk (where you can buy a ticket), get the tram to the train station then a train out to Pompeii - Did this a couple of years ago and it was easy peasy. The guy at the Kiosk spoke english so no problems in getting the directions but I had researched it before I left home so knew the routine and the route to take.

But just watch out for pickpockets, my friend who was travelling with me had his wallet taken from his pocket as soon as the tram left the stop - apparently fairly common.

Just a short walk from the port is a tram stop and kiosk (where you can buy a ticket), get the tram to the train station then a train out to Pompeii - Did this a couple of years ago and it was easy peasy. The guy at the Kiosk spoke english so no problems in getting the directions but I had researched it before I left home so knew the routine and the route to take.

But just watch out for pickpockets, my friend who was travelling with me had his wallet taken from his pocket as soon as the tram left the stop - apparently fairly common.

very common in Naples....you need to be aware at all times . Tourists are easy to pick out and are seen as easy targets everywhere.

Make sure you pre purchase your entry tickets on line before you leave home. The queues can be horrendous. It amazes me in this internet savvy world and all the Italian attractions having access to pre purchasing entry tickets why there are so many queues to get in

From memory it was quite a coach ride from Port of Napoli to Pompei. We did the Princess shorex. Pompei is very interesting and not to be missed.:p We did not have to queue at all being on he shorex.

A lot of walking over uneven ground, all those Roman cobblestones ! A lady on our tour fell over and broke her ankle, missed the boat, so to speak.

Thank you all for your very informative replies. We have been to Pompeii before and the last time we went to Herculaneum. We want to go back to Pompeii as we didn't get to see as much as we wanted to as we had a lovely lady with us who was not very well. We think we will get the tram and the train.

Cheers, Janet

Make sure you pre purchase your entry tickets on line before you leave home. The queues can be horrendous. It amazes me in this internet savvy world and all the Italian attractions having access to pre purchasing entry tickets why there are so many queues to get in

Great advice. Thanks.