How do I pick a cabin?

jacquesmm

Is there a web site from which I can pick a cabin, see the price etc.?

Let's give an example: I would like to go on a XYZ cruise, at some date and want to see what cabins are available and the cost for each?

In particular, I am looking at the Island Princess, in October, 10 days cruise to the Panama canal. I hesitate between a suite or a large aft balcony.

I went to a couple agents web sites and while they give a price, only one of them showed which cabin and there was no way to select a certain cabin class. When I call, they give me one or two choices but each agent seem to have different cabins free.

Does that mean that each "reseller" reserve a number of cabins and I have to go through all of them to see what's available? There must be a better way.

How does this work?

You have to go through doing a dummy booking to find out which cabins are available. Deck plans usually have each cabin category and level within that category color coded. I suggest you go to either the Princess website, or to http://www.cruisedeckplans.com. Choose Princess, and then Island Princess on cruisedeckplans. Down the left side of the page will be the cabin types/categories, and there will be different color blocks within those cabin types. The different colors do not mean there is anything different about the cabins, but they have different locations. All of the cabins in the same color will cost the same. Cruise lines have discovered guests think cabins midship and on a higher deck are more desirable, so they price those the highest. Aft facing cabins are desirable, too, so those have higher prices. A dummy booking on Princess will not show all available cabins. Some online cruise agencies will, but you have to try a number to find one that does without making you register. Cruise Critic does not allow us to name or discuss specific travel agencies or websites. EM