Advice from newbies at the end of first cruise

bionic grandma

My husband and I just finished our first cruise on Jewel of the Seas in the Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. We are unbelievably happy with our experience. Never thought we wanted to be floating on the water when we love to be experiencing "the water". Had the best of both when we were in different ports every day and playing at night. Have never been so pampered; staff were excellent. Would most definitely say you need a backpack to carry sunscreen, water, insect repellant, etc. for excursions. Also be sure to bring plenty of ones and fives for tips and taxis when off the ship and some cash for extra special staff on board. Best way to celebrate our 25th--best vacation ever!! Starting a savings account for another cruise.

I've been on Jewel twice, it's a great ship and southern caribbean is a great place to go. Going again on Adventure of the Seas this April. It is addictive and a lot of different options. Definitely enroll in Crown and Anchor and know that your status on Royal transfers over to Celebrity if you go on their ships...you get the higher of whichever status you have on either one. Celebrity is a very nice line that caters more to adults.

• 10 months later...