San Francisco-Fort Point or Golden Gate Welcome Center

Last time I was in San Francisco was about 40 years ago. I was like 12 yrs old. Obviously a lot has changed. My mom and I went to an area under the golden gate bridge entrance. I think it might have been Fort Point and we saw cannons and got splashed by the water that was breaking against the wall. We had a car but I won't have transportation this time. Is there a way to get there without a car from like Fisherman's Wharf or Ghirardelli Square? Does a bus go to the golden gate visitor center or Fort Point? Is it even worth it to go?

There is NO bus that goes directly to the fort. But you could take SF Muni #28 to the GG Bridge toll plaza overlook. (Incredible views from here) and Walk down the bluff trail, but you would have to walk up the bluff to get back to the bus and that could be a problem. You could walk the 2+ miles along the Crissy Field trail from Fort Mason/Fisherman's wharf, but most tourists rent a bicycle in Fisherman's wharf and ride the flat trail that would take you to Fort Point, (and then continue over the GG Bridge to Sausalito, if you want) but I recommend that you could take an UBER, which can take you almost to the Fort entrance. If you are not familiar with UBER, it's a very convenient way to get around SF.

Whether it's worth it is up to you. IMHO, if I only have limited time in SF, there are better things to see. The view from Crissy Field of the GG Bridge is incredible though.