Help San Diego Advice

1stlady

My cruise arrive in San Diego on 9/22 at 7 am, my plane does not leave until 10:00 pm. I would love do see San Diego sights but will have luggage. Need help deciding what to do! I would not like to rent a car, driving not very good for a new city, but would consider renting an inexpensive room in hotel for a few hours. Could I please get some suggestions? I've even considered a tour but also would need to get to airport. I would also like ideas for hotel withairport transportation. Please help with my dilemma.

My cruise arrive in San Diego on 9/22 at 7 am, my plane does not leave until 10:00 pm. I would love do see San Diego sights but will have luggage. Need help deciding what to do! I would not like to rent a car, driving not very good for a new city, but would consider renting an inexpensive room in hotel for a few hours. Could I please get some suggestions? I've even considered a tour but also would need to get to airport. I would also like ideas for hotel withairport transportation. Please help with my dilemma.

Also, What sights would you suggest in the few hours I have to spend in

San Diego?

The luggage is a problem. Perhaps you could do the express luggage where they take it from the ship and deliver it to the airport?? I don't know if your airline participates in this but you could ask.

There are no hotels where you could rent a room for a few hours. You would pay the normal rate. You might go across the street to the Holiday Inn San Diego on the Bay and get a room there or ask to leave your bags and pay a small fee. Am not sure they would do this??

I'd take the hop on hop off bus tour right next to the port.

See:http://www.trolleytours.com

The luggage is a problem. Perhaps you could do the express luggage where they take it from the ship and deliver it to the airport?? I don't know if your airline participates in this but you could ask.

There are no hotels where you could rent a room for a few hours. You would pay the normal rate. You might go across the street to the Holiday Inn San Diego on the Bay and get a room there or ask to leave your bags and pay a small fee. Am not sure they would do this??

I'd take the hop on hop off bus tour right next to the port.

See:www.trolleytours.com

Thanks for your prompt reply. I was considering renting the room for a day although I would only be there a few hours. I see the Sea World Mission Bay area has good rates. Can I get a taxi to the airport at a reasonable rate from that area? Also, is this area close to some attractions and the trolley tours?

Hopefully, you will be able to use Express Luggage service. For a fee (WELL worth it) the cruiseline delivers your luggage directly to your airline and you don't have to see/touch it until you arrive at your home airport. They also print out a Boarding Pass for you.:)

IF you are going to get a room I'd stay in the downtown area as that would be the most convenient for both airport and sightseeing.

The least expensive motels like the Motel 6 or the Dolphin Motel would require short taxi rides back and forth.

There's a Ramada/Airport with a free shuttle from cruise port and to airport so you could go there, drop bags and take the shuttle back to the cruise area where the tours would be.

Lots of choices but I think that luggage express would be a really GOOD thing to do if you can.

Thanks for great advice. I am considering using the luggage express. The cruise has a 3 hour excusion with drop off at airport, I may book that if I am able to do it on the ship. It was too late to do it now, to close to time of cruise. I have a couple of options. Thanks for your help.

Alternatively, consider taking your luggage with you to the Zoo (take a cab). They will allow you to store it while you are seeing the Zoo. Then get another cab and go someplace to have dinner (Old Town, Little Italy, Hillcrest or the Gaslamp Quarter). Most restaurants will allow you to stash your luggage at the hostess station for the duration of your meal. Then take another cab to the airport. Lots of cabs, but would be cheaper than a 1 day hotel in all of the areas near the port or near any tourist destinations.

Alternatively, consider taking your luggage with you to the Zoo (take a cab). They will allow you to store it while you are seeing the Zoo. Then get another cab and go someplace to have dinner (Old Town, Little Italy, Hillcrest or the Gaslamp Quarter). Most restaurants will allow you to stash your luggage at the hostess station for the duration of your meal. Then take another cab to the airport. Lots of cabs, but would be cheaper than a 1 day hotel in all of the areas near the port or near any tourist destinations.

man thats a lot of places to go with the lugage and it might get taken. I would opt for the express lugage p/u then you don't have to worry about getting a room just to store the luggage.

Thanks for great advice. I am considering using the luggage express. The cruise has a 3 hour excusion with drop off at airport, I may book that if I am able to do it on the ship. It was too late to do it now, to close to time of cruise. I have a couple of options. Thanks for your help.

Forgive me, I've never done a post-cruise excursion but if it's a cruise excursion, don't they take care of your luggage? For example keep it on the bus in the storage area?

The Holiday Inn right across from the pier would certainly be the most convenient - you can easily walk to it if your luggage isn't too much to handle. Try calling the hotel directly (1-619-232-3861) - ask to speak to the bell desk and see if they would hold your luggage for the day for a fee. From there, you could tour the Midway, walk to the Gaslamp shopping/restaurant area, or probably arrange a city tour through the hotel. Another idea - if you're not timid about driving in unfamiliar territory, think about renting a car for the day. A cab to any of the rental car agencies at the airport would be very inexpensive. You'd then have a place to store your luggage and they would shuttle you to the airport when you turn in the car. Enterprise might even pick you up at the pier if you ask. There's lots to see within easy driving distance!

Hotel Loop is right off of i-8 just east of i-5. Plenty of cheap hotel options there.

If I were you, I'd rent a car and see SD. There's so much you can do. Coronado Island is really cool. At the end of i-8, there's Mission Beach, Pacific Beach, OB, the Sunset Cliffs, all nice places to check out. The Gaslamp District downtown is nice. There's the Zoo and SeaWorld of course. The neighborhood south of Balbao Park known as South Park is interesting. We found a really awesome breakfast there.

If I could recommend 2 places I always eat when visiting San Diego is Anthony's Fish Grotto downtown off of Harbor Dr. It has awesome seafood and a nice ambiance that it sits on the water. Oh yeah, it's right by a ship museum. And possibly the best burrito is at a place called Trujillo's by SDSU. Just take i-8 east and get off on College, follow the road South and as you pass the university you'll see Trujillo's in their tiny building right next to an Arco or Chevron on the left. The burrito has a name modeling a fraternity (I believe Sigma Chi) and it has carne asada, french frieds, guacamole, beans, cheese. It's fantastic.

Hopefully, you will be able to use Express Luggage service. For a fee (WELL worth it) the cruiseline delivers your luggage directly to your airline and you don't have to see/touch it until you arrive at your home airport. They also print out a Boarding Pass for you.:)

Do you know if Royal Caribbean (travelling on Mariner of the Seas) offers this service?

Thanks

Also, What sights would you suggest in the few hours I have to spend in

San Diego?

Yup, I would do the express luggage thing and then book a tour with Old Town San Diego Trolley Tours website follows: http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/. $30.00 online will get you a pass for the day and you will get to see a great overview of the city. You can stop anywhere along the way and sight see. Also, look at the map to decide where you want to get off and visit. I take all visitors from out of town on this tour and all have really enjoyed the time spent.

Archived