Awaiting response from WS HQ's for shabby treatment of new pax on 9/8/18 sailing!

The A Train

I asked WS by email two business days ago about diet soda and mixer availability on our 20 day voyage on WindSurf and I haven't had a reply or acknowledgement yet either so I don't think you are being specially ignored.

The OP had a bad time on a WS ship and says WS office have not been responsive.

There is another thread to read with all the details of the "cruise from hell".

I was just pointing out to him that even an innocuous request about soda doesn't get a prompt reply.

I happened to come across a website called glassdoor where company employees can give reviews of companies they work for.

The WS office is apparently not a happy one and few employees stay long.or are satisfied with the way they have to do their job, but senior management changes have improved it somewhat.

The WS office is apparently not a happy one and few employees stay long.or are satisfied with the way they have to do their job, but senior management changes have improved it somewhat.

Inept at best, clueless with some frequency, and often they just don't respond. The diet soda example is perfect, since I doubt the Seattle group has more than a vague idea of what's boarded. Consistency is not among WS's strong suits, but I still love them anyway! I don't know if the cruise specific information is also put together my the Seattle crew, but they're almost as bad - and include egregious things like incorrect embarkation times on the final invoice (only a seasoned cruiser would question a 4:00pm embarkation time and know that was supposed to be "all on board" and that you could arrive as early as 1:00pm), land tours left over from a previous cruise and that matched up with a completely itinerary, etc.

This is one reason I use my TA - he has access to a special phone number that gives access to a special TA group, and they seem to know what they're doing and/or can give a better response - when we had a complex question about disembarking early in India it was our TA who made contact with the purser on the ship via the Seattle group, who in turn talked to the land agent at the port in question, and we got the answer we needed. Then the first day we got onboard we had a call from the purser who wanted to meet with me to go over the plans and how it would work and to reassure us that all was in place. The normal group would never have been able to sort that out.

To the A Train. We get it, you're unhappy.

I happened to come across a website called glassdoor where company employees can give reviews of companies they work for.

Very few happy employees take the time to post to Glassdoor". It is a bitch site.

I have worked with the same 2 WS reservation agents for at least 3 years now. And the arrival of John Delaney was a blessing. He has now been in as President for about 2 years. He is doing things that are amazing, but even amazing can take time.

And it is correct that the relationships TAs build long term with any travel supplier are important. We build contacts over years that come in handy, at the most surprising times. Personally, the best relationship I have is with Windstar. And for the record, I will never be a high volume agency for Windstar. I am a little guy (and that helps keep my blood pressure down). But the treatment I (and my clients) receive when dealing with them is top shelf.

I suspect A Train will never be happy with the outcomes related to his earlier rants. That may not get his concerns moved to the top of Windstar's list of people needing a rapidly response.

Anyone who has read this post knows we love the experience that WS provides. 23 rd cruise is coming up. We have never had one even mediocre issue on the ships. However, in the past we had issues with errors on our reservations and unresponsineness in asking specific questions, about various things to do with specific cruises etc. out of Seattle. I do believe it is much better but still a bit slow. I do believe the reservation agents while always polite and enthuastic need better information training. I feel when I call I end up teaching them something. I also believe WS responding could be much quicker. I always read everything and if something is not right call immediately after receiving the info. I use CC for any other info I might need. For us the ship experience has been about as perfect as one can get on the water. Happy Sailing

Interestingly, my employer has 4.5 stars on Glassdoor.

And WS get 3 stars

Interesting, but I really need them to get some non sugary mixers on board other than diet coke which just does not go well with Gin.

We board in Lisbon straight from the plane, and then its 13 days at sea so no opportunity to bring much ourselves like we had to in the Caribbean.

And WS get 3 stars

Interesting, but I really need them to get some non sugary mixers on board other than diet coke which just does not go well with Gin.

We board in Lisbon straight from the plane, and then its 13 days at sea so no opportunity to bring much ourselves like we had to in the Caribbean.

I feel for you, I'd recommend that you order a car from the airport rather than a cab and specify a stop at a grocery store, but in all honestly I don't think I've ever found diet tonic in Portugal, diet coke and stuff, yes, but not tonic, which is hard enough to find at all. I guess the other option is to drink martinis? I don't mind gin and ginger[ale] but I wouldn't count on finding that either.

I feel for you, I'd recommend that you order a car from the airport rather than a cab and specify a stop at a grocery store, but in all honestly I don't think I've ever found diet tonic in Portugal, diet coke and stuff, yes, but not tonic, which is hard enough to find at all. I guess the other option is to drink martinis? I don't mind gin and ginger[ale] but I wouldn't count on finding that either.

Don't think I ever tried gin and ginger ale, sounds an awful thing to do to Tanqueray or Hendricks,

I would need diet ginger ale anyway, probably harder to find than diet tonic.

Its the diabetes not just a preference.

Bit of luck I may get a reply from WS, its all very well them offering inclusive drinks but if they don't have what you want its not much good at all.

Last time we were on Wind Surf for 14 days Maria the barmaid in the Compass Rose just told me flatly it was diet coke or go whistle.

And that was when they could have got fresh stock as most days were port days.

No tips for Maria as we were unable to buy a mixed drink in the bar.

Don't think I ever tried gin and ginger ale, sounds an awful thing to do to Tanqueray or Hendricks,

Bit of luck I may get a reply from WS, its all very well them offering inclusive drinks but if they don't have what you want its not much good at all.

Last time we were on Wind Surf for 14 days Maria the barmaid in the Compass Rose just told me flatly it was diet coke or go whistle.

I get you - Ginger Ale would certainly not be my choice for Hendricks for sure - Tanqueray would be OK, but in any case you're right about the availability. I also love Gin with Bitter Lemon soda, but you won't find that in diet form either. Unless you're absolutely stuck with gin, I guess Cuba Libres would be my choice since they seem to have diet Coke, or scotch, the brand on the package is very drinkable.

I have an answer. You can buy diet tonic syrup for the Sodastream, you could make your own, but you'd also need to buy the Sodastream if you don't already have one. Not the cheapest option but when you look at it in terms of the total price of the cruise not that much:

https://www.amazon.com/SodaStream-Tonic-Syrup-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B014395XUK?th=1

Hi Griller,

We have had the beverage package on both of our past cruises and I can say that Windstar has some very talented bartender/mixologists. Why not talk to them about mixing some tasty sugar free cocktails? If you like white rum...try a sugar free mojito. You just have them muddle the mint and lime with the sugar substitute of your choice. We like stevia or Splenda. We don't have diabetes, but try to watch our weight and can't justify the high calories in those sugary cocktails. I can think of some other options too SF margaritas, kamazee, you get the idea.

Hi Griller,

We have had the beverage package on both of our past cruises and I can say that Windstar has some very talented bartender/mixologists. Why not talk to them about mixing some tasty sugar free cocktails? If you like white rum...try a sugar free mojito. You just have them muddle the mint and lime with the sugar substitute of your choice. We like stevia or Splenda. We don't have diabetes, but try to watch our weight and can't justify the high calories in those sugary cocktails. I can think of some other options too SF margaritas, kamazee, you get the idea.

Thanks for the ideas but when we were on WindSurf last time in Feb 2018 the bartenders were not helpful from day 1,

Maria in the Compass Rose was very offhand and told us it was diet coke or nothing and that was the end of it, and although they were in port nearly every day for the 2 weeks they never offered to get anything else in stock or spoke to us again.

All we ever ordered on board was some wine in the dining room, never bought a bar drink the whole 2 weeks.

We have not bought the beverage package this time so I guess Maria and the current total lack of response from Customer Service at head office has cost Windstar a loss of revenue of

2 people x 20 days x $52 plus service charge for our upcoming cruise.

Somewhat over $2000.

I guess unless WS read this forum they will never know, and probably don't care anyway.

We've only cruised Windstar once, on the Pride in January. We had the beverage package. 1st day on board we're at the Star bar and my wife orders a vodka and asks if, perhaps, they have diet tonic. Bartender says no we don't but what is your cabin number. We tell him and he says by tomorrow I'll have diet tonic here at the Star bar and I'll put some in your cabin Fridge since it's included in the package. Sure enough we had diet tonic for the week. We left out of San Juan so, I assume, he or someone else left the ship and purchased the diet tonic. We thought the bar staff (really, all the staff) provided outstanding service on the ship all week. We have our 2nd Windstar cruise booked for next year

We had a similar experience to surmy555 recently on Pride. The verbena fragrance on the L'Occitane toiletries was upsetting my wife. So the ship sent someone out in Qaqortoq, Greenland and he came back wih three different soap bars for her to try. Very responsive service.

I have an answer. You can buy diet tonic syrup for the Sodastream, you could make your own, but you'd also need to buy the Sodastream if you don't already have one. Not the cheapest option but when you look at it in terms of the total price of the cruise not that much:

https://www.amazon.com/SodaStream-Tonic-Syrup-Fluid-Ounce/dp/B014395XUK?th=1

thanks but I don't think we could take compressed gas cylinders of that size on the plane transatlantic to Lisbon from Newark.

However maybe we could take the syrup and add it to soda water from the ship?

Thanks for the idea

We were kinda hoping we could get away from taking stuff on cruises with us, when we cruise on princess we take our own soap and conditioner etc as the ship ones are horrible.

As Princess only costs us $55 a day we can live with it but to pay several times as much and still have to take stuff which should be available on board is not so good.

On Windstar many times. Soda includes Coca Cola products. We like Coke zero, diet Sprite, and club soda. We have our cabin fridge stocked eith them. Also, like bottled water. There were other types of sodas, juices, etc. not a problem.

That was your experience. Ours was different.

On Windstar once. Only Diet Coke for no sugar soda/mixers other than soda water.

Don't want it to happen again.

Particularly for 13 straight days without a port to go shopping in ourselves.

YMMV

Had a reply to my email today, WS say my request has been noted in my file.