New ship to be built ... Silver Dawn

les37b

Whilst the answer may be charters, the Wind has but one ten day itinerary between November 15 and December 21. She disappears in FLL and reappears in Barbados.

If the Wind joins the Cloud as an expedition vessel doing Discoverer type itineraries, does this make her less attractive for charter? Does this then focus attention on the Shadow and the Whisper for this type of activity?

Kindest regards

Masterr Echo

We agree, and that is why we would like to see the Wind stay the way it is until it’s retired.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes indeed. The feel of a smaller ship is so very different and to us, preferable to the larger ships. All of a sudden there seems to be a mad rush to go bigger - just like Seabourn. I’ll be so cross if SS ditch all the little ships.

On May 18, I had a conversation with a veryreliable source and good friend who works on the expedition side of Silversea He told me that the only thing that is certain regarding theexpedition fleet is that the SilverDiscoverer will leave the Expedition Fleet in July of 2019. The WIND is being considered for conversionto expedition. A new build expeditionship is also under consideration. He emphasizedthat IF one or both of thesepossibilities comes about, it will not be before the end of 2020 and will NOTaffect currently scheduled itineraries on the Wind.

On May 18, I had a conversation with a veryreliable source and good friend who works on the expedition side of Silversea He told me that the only thing that is certain regarding theexpedition fleet is that the SilverDiscoverer will leave the Expedition Fleet in July of 2019. The WIND is being considered for conversionto expedition. A new build expeditionship is also under consideration. He emphasizedthat IF one or both of thesepossibilities comes about, it will not be before the end of 2020 and will NOTaffect currently scheduled itineraries on the Wind.

This makes sense. I did not understand why some people assumed that Silversea would rush to convert Wind. It may happen sometime. But there are real costs to a cruise line in cancelling advertised cruises, compensating booked guests, etc. And I did not see that there was such urgency about getting a ship to replace Discoverer.

yes indeed. The feel of a smaller ship is so very different and to us, preferable to the larger ships. All of a sudden there seems to be a mad rush to go bigger - just like seabourn. I’ll be so cross if ss ditch all the little ships.

me too!!!

Was concerned to learn from earlier posts that the Silver Wind is to be converted to an Expedition ship in the next twelve months as we have 52 days booked and fully paid up within this period .

Pleased to receive response today from Managing Director to my question on this subject.

I quote ....there are no plans to convert the Wind to an Expedition vessel in the foreseeable future and all existing bookings for cruises being advertised in brochures up to the current 2019 brochure will take place as stated.Thankfully the rumours from the HD on the Cloud are rumours and not fact.

Pleased to receive response today from Managing Director to my question on this subject.

I quote ....there are no plans to convert the Wind to an Expedition vessel in the foreseeable future and all existing bookings for cruises being advertised in brochures up to the current 2019 brochure will take place as stated.Thankfully the rumours from the HD on the Cloud are rumours and not fact.

Thank you, brimary, for following up with a verifiable response from a real person. This is quite a relief!!!!

Thankfully the rumours from the HD on the Cloud are rumours and not fact.

In fairness, I do not believe that the Cloud HD was reported to have predicted when a conversion might take place, nor did he suggest that currently advertised sailings might be cancelled. The grim prediction of imminent conversion were, I believe, the speculation of posters who apparently assumed that Silversea would feel compelled to replace Discoverer immediately.

In fairness, I do not believe that the Cloud HD was reported to have predicted when a conversion might take place, nor did he suggest that currently advertised sailings might be cancelled. The grim prediction of imminent conversion were, I believe, the speculation of posters who apparently assumed that Silversea would feel compelled to replace Discoverer immediately.

And to be fair, posters concerned of the suggestion and rumours did have the actual events of cancelled cruises booked and paid for when the Spirit was dry docked this year. I certainly never saw that coming... despite the rumours that surfaced only a couple of weeks before that SS were considering stretching the Spirit, so once bitten....

Both Brimary and myself did seek clarification as understandably we both had bookings on the Spirit cancelled and both have several bookings on the Wind that could be affected.

My response from Mark Conroy is here...

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=56098525&postcount=17

Confirming that the decision hasn’t yet been made and the 2019 schedule for the Wind at least is safe.

I suspect the finances are rather stretched at the moment with the recent release of the Muse, stretching of the Spirit, Cloud conversion and new ships Moon and Dawn booked for completion in 2020 and 2021 which probably has a huge impact on that decision not yet being confirmed.

History will tell whether such exceptional courage is timely and wise. It is strange that despite this thread's being started with the Dawn, the following discussion has been centred on the Wind.

History will tell whether such exceptional courage is timely and wise. It is strange that despite this thread's being started with the Dawn, the following discussion has been centred on the Wind.

Indeed... I said the same thing back in post 17, which does at least highlight the depth of feeling. I understand fully the reasoning for it - just hope it doesn't happen and the "decision" is to leave the wind alone.

I would say though, having 4 Muse size ships in the fleet is quite a gamble.

Not merely a gamble, more than enough! Silversea, there is such a thing as too many big ships, please give it a rest. Big is not always better.

It is interesting that the established luxury lines (Seabourn, RSSC and Silversea) have moved to, and continue to move to, larger liners leaving gaps in the market for smaller ships. I have no idea what Scenic Eclipse will be like but they are certainly going where the others vacating. By its prices Scenic Eclipse should be very special!!!

It is interesting that the established luxury lines (Seabourn, RSSC and Silversea) have moved to, and continue to move to, larger liners leaving gaps in the market for smaller ships. I have no idea what Scenic Eclipse will be like but they are certainly going where the others vacating. By its prices Scenic Eclipse should be very special!!!

Got the brochure last week and apart from the hefty uplift to SS prices, you will have to book a Spa or Penthouse suite to get a bath tub!

The Scenic Eclipse though is an Expedition ship and for that it certainly isn't small by my standards.Similiar passenger numbers to the Cloud which I also think is in the large category for expedition cruising-hence our expedition lite description of her.

But we are booked on the Eclipse in August 2019.

• 3 weeks later...
This makes sense. I did not understand why some people assumed that Silversea would rush to convert Wind. It may happen sometime. But there are real costs to a cruise line in cancelling advertised cruises, compensating booked guests, etc..

The owner and Martinoli has virtually announced “The Wind Project” .....

Silversea Chairman Manfredi Lefebvre confirmed the line is exploring converting Silver Cloud’s sister ship, the 296-guest Silver Wind, into an adventure ship.

“It’s not a firm decision, but it’s a logical thing,” Lefrebvre said. “If you like this ship (Silver Cloud) – and the results and comments we get are very positive – it’s a natural evolution.

Mark Conroy, managing director-the Americas for Silversea, said the Silver Wind is due for a renovation as it approaches 20 years, so it wouldn’t be a difficult decision to add an ice hull.”

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/silversea-explores-expedition-expansion.html

https://www.travelagentcentral.com/cruises/site-report-10th-anniversary-silversea-expeditions

I'm not sure why it would be necessary for an ice hull on the Wind.It would be a perfect expedition ship for the tropical,subtropical and temperate destinations around the world.Neither the Discoverer or the Explorer are that good for those areas.The Explorer is fine in temperate areas but really wasn't built for tropical climes.

• 3 months later...

https://www.meyerwerft.de/en/meyerwerft_de/medien/presseticker/pressemitteilung_detail_30016.jsp

MIAMI and MONACO, October 8, 2018 – Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (NYSE: RCL) andSilversea Cruisestoday announced agreements to build three new ships for Silversea Cruises, the ultra-luxury and expedition cruise brand that recently joined the RCL family.

Silversea signed a memorandum of understanding with German shipbuilder Meyer Werft to build two new vessels in a new “Evolution Class.” The first Evolution-class ship is expected to deliver in 2022.

Silversea also signed a contract with Dutch shipbuilder Shipyard De Hoop to construct a new expedition vessel, named Silver Origin, that will serve the Galapagos Islands itinerary currently sailed by Silver Galapagos. The new ship is expected for delivery in March 2020.

“We are delighted to have entered into an agreement with Meyer Werft on the Silver Evolution series and De Hoop for Silver Origin,” says Manfredi Lefebvre d’Ovidio, Silversea’s Executive Chairman. “With our guests in mind, we are pushing the boundaries of ultra-luxury cruising, as well as expedition cruising in the Galápagos Islands and beyond, redefining the concept of immersive travel.”

“We are excited to get to work helping Silversea grow and realize its ambitions,” said Richard D. Fain, Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd., which finalized its two-thirds acquisition of Silversea earlier this year. “There is tremendous potential in the ultra-luxury and expedition markets of the cruise industry, and we believe discerning travelers will embrace the exciting designs Silversea is imagining for them.”

“We are very happy to build these new ships for Silversea Cruises. Together with Silversea we will create a new generation of environmentally friendly ships in the ultra-luxury cruise market,” said Tim Meyer, Managing Director of Meyer Werft.