Silversea new dining concept vs Main Dining Room

Mistral23

I’m new to Luxury cruising, and Cruise Critic and am thinking of sampling Silversea’s Larger ships or Regent.

My question is how do you regular luxury cruisers feel about the loss of a main dining room on the Newer Silversea Ships?

Would the changes encourage you to now only book the smaller ships due to this loss?

From my understanding the teething problems of dining on demand in Atlantide have now been resolved after the loss of The Restaurant.

I love the idea of Compass Rose on Regent as you have a large A La Carte menu for both lunch and dinner.

Silversea’s new version is Atlantide.

We really enjoy having the choice of a quiet lunch offering. We don’t particularly like buffet, and wouldn’t eat at the pool grill often.

Is Atlantide a suitable alternative to The Restaurant? We always choose a long leisurely multi course lunch on sea days is this still possible?

The restaurant variety on Spirit ,Muse and Explorer and Voyager appeal to us more than the smaller ships.

Obviously itinerary also comes into play here.

We feel both cruise lines are similar otherwise regarding service and quality, the other difference may be included excursions but that isn’t

An issue.

I thank you in advance for your time and look forward to your thoughts

We were on the Muse for two weeks in March.

Atlantide is open each day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, while Indochine is open for dinner. Both are open sitting and both act as a main dinning room. For lunch Atlantide offered a multi course meal with a menu that changed daily, it was very enjoyable. What I didn't like about the dinning arrangement was the fact the menu did not change for dinner in both restaurants or for that matter in any restaurant. This isn't a deal breaker for us as we have a trip booked on the Spirit for October and by then it will be the same however it did get boring near the end. I wouldn't take these ships more than ten days or so. I also didn't like the idea that you may not order from a restaurant menu for room service and that it is not served course by course but all brought at once so your ice-cream is melting while you eat your salad!!

Hi Mistral and welcome to Cruise Critic! You’ll find lots of great folks here willing to help.

You’re considering two of the best of cruise companies and don’t think you can go wrong with either. So, since this is the Silversea forum, I’ll provide my opinions to your questions relative to their ships. I've sailed on all of the traditional ships, other than the Wind.

How do you regular luxury cruisers feel about theloss of a main dining room on the Newer Silversea Ships?
I don’t look at it as a loss at all, but rather how much more variety we have gained. And, in Atlantide specifically, the menu choices are vast and change after one week. My voyage was over two weeks long and I could never imagine getting to try all of the dishes.
Would the changes encourage you to now only book the smaller ships due to this loss?
Absolutely not. On the Muse (and soon the Spirit) you have a total of eight restaurants to choose from, whereas on the Cloud/Wind there are only four. Personally, I like the additional variety.

From my understanding the teething problems of dining on demand in Atlantide have now been resolved after the loss of The Restaurant.
I sailed on a completely sold-out voyage and never once had a problem being able to dine in Atlantide at whatever time I wished.

We really enjoy having the choice of a quiet lunch offering. We don’t particularly like buffet, and wouldn’t eat at the pool grill often. We always choose a long leisurely multi course lunch on sea days is this still possible?
Long leisurely lunches are available in any venue you choose. No one will ever rush you as long as you communicate your expectations accordingly. I found the quietest lunch venue to be Kaiseki followed by Atlantide. I also found that the servers in La Terrazza never forced me to dine from the buffet. They were more than accommodating when I just wanted a small salad, cup of soup, or fresh pasta dish. While La Terrazza is certainly not a quiet venue during the lunch hour, service was still provided course-by-course just as if I were in Atlantide when I requested it.

In closing, have a fun time planning your cruise and I hope my opinions have been helpful!

What I didn't like about the dinning arrangement was the fact the menu did not change for dinner in both restaurants or for that matter in any restaurant.

I understand that this has changed and that at least the (large) Atlantide menu changes once a week. There were obviously teething pains with the new dining arrangement on Muse, and Silversea management apparently listened to complaints and acted.

hypercafe, HappyCamper777, Observer,

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate the time taken.

I agree, that we have nothing to worry about should we choose Silversea.

Hope to meet on a cruise in the future.

• 4 months later...

Just returned from a 15 day cruise on SS Spirit from London to New York. Great cruise, but one big negative. We love to meet people by joining tables - only allowed at Atlantide and they never changed their. Entree menu in 15 days. I am not a fish lover, so their meat choices were 3 steaks, one lamb chop and one veal chop. No poultry, no pork, no pasta. The food is wonderful but the lack of variety is a major problem.

West Windsor girl,

One of the distinctive qualities of a line such as Silversea is the possibility of ordering off menu in the MDR and to do so in advance. If you want pork, chicken and pasta (I do!) you could have taken advantage of the opportunity, right? Silversea is known to deliver excellent Italian food dishes.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Just returned from a 15 day cruise on SS Spirit from London to New York. Great cruise, but one big negative. We love to meet people by joining tables - only allowed at Atlantide and they never changed their. Entree menu in 15 days. I am not a fish lover, so their meat choices were 3 steaks, one lamb chop and one veal chop. No poultry, no pork, no pasta. The food is wonderful but the lack of variety is a major problem.

You can also order from the anytime dining menu if you feel the need, in both Atlantide and Indochine.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes....the anytime menu is a great alternative.... l always ask for this at dinner as one does become a tad bored with the repetitive offerings....l can highly recommend the classic prawn cocktail or melon with prosciutto for something simple to start....earlier this year on the Spirit we enjoyed a superb Indian banquet which was pre ordered....so no need to despair at all....😊