Silversea lack of menu changes

West Windsor girl

We just returned from the London to New York cruise on the Silver Spirit. It was a great cruise and up to Siversea’s usual standards. There was one very big negative in our opinion. We have taken 6 previous Silversea cruises and always loved the opportunity to meet new, interesting people by joining tables for dinner. That was no longer allowed on any restaurant except Atlantide on the Spirit. In 15 days, they never changed the menu, except for a couple of starters. I am not a fish lover, so there were 5 meat choices, 3 of which were steak, one lamb chop and one veal chop. La Terraza and Indochine had lovely menus, but they also never changed and you could not share tables. Many people on board felt the same way we did. The food is wonderful, but the lack of variety has caused us to rethink our future bookings for Silversea.

In 15 days, they never changed the menu, except for a couple of starters.
Spins or JollyJones, I see where West Windsor Girl has reposted the same complaint on several topics going back to '09 and just wondered from your experience if you know why SS didn't change the menus since you were on the same voyage as her. On our last voyage the menu changed after 1-week, so it seems odd on a 15-day TA they didn't change them.

Spins or JollyJones, I see where West Windsor Girl has reposted the same complaint on several topics going back to '09 and just wondered from your experience if you know why SS didn't change the menus since you were on the same voyage as her. On our last voyage the menu changed after 1-week, so it seems odd on a 15-day TA they didn't change them.

Agree Stumblefoot, do not understand why this is posted on multiple threads.

The OP has a point, but why multiple, random posting?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The OP has a point, but why multiple, random posting?
Hopefully she'll return Silver Spectre and let us know why it was necessary to express the same point across several topics. From my POV, this particular thread that she started clearly stated the issue. Maybe Host Dan can remove the duplicative posts from the other threads.

Sorry for posting this issue of lack of menu changes 3 times. We always loved Silversea and wanted to make sure SS gets the message. We called Silversea and they said they will be making this policy on all their ships. Many of the people on our cruise agreed with us on this issue.

Sorry for posting this issue of lack of menu changes 3 times. We always loved Silversea and wanted to make sure SS gets the message. We called Silversea and they said they will be making this policy on all their ships. Many of the people on our cruise agreed with us on this issue.

Thanks for getting back to us.

It is extremely rare for SS to engage on these forums, if you wish to get their attention in public you should try FB or Twitter.

We have a 37 day cruise booked on the Wind next summer and the earlier posts on menus in all restaurants never changing is a certainly a backward step which can only be overcome by ordering what you would like with 24 hours notice to the Maitre d .Hope that avenue has not been closed.The menus on the Wind this summer changed during our cruise so has anybody facts as to when the changing menus ceased?

Brimary, as of our cruise earlier this month on Silver Wind: The dinner menus in the MDR changed daily. The menu for dinner in LT changed at least once, maybe twice, during the 10 days. Different ship from that which OP referred to, I know, but merely answering Brimary's question.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We haven't done our first Silversea cruise yet (just a little over a month away), but needing to be able to ask to join new people for dinner at a table has never been needed on our previous cruises. We meet people and then have dinner with them. I'm a little too shy to want to join a table with a group of people that I've never met before. So, I want to let Silversea that I don't agree with WWG. Let people meet first, and go to dinner together if they hit it off.

I find wanting to join random strangers at a table odd - sure, by all means dine with new friends met before dinner. Unless you all walk in together, how can they time the service?

To the OP’s point, Indochine and La Terrazza changed after a week, Atlantide didn’t - I was not much in a meat mood and did find the vegetarian selection small and boring.

However, with these three and Hot Rocks and Spaccanapoli (don’t like LaDame or the Asian place), I wasn’t eating in the same place all that often.

Eating with whomever you want has always been the policy of Silversea, Seabourn and Oceania. When you go to dinner, you can ask for a table for 2, 4, 6 or 8. At the beginning of cruises, when we were traveling alone, we often sled to join a table to meet new people. Other people felt differently and preferred to only eat with people they knew. The choice was up to you. Their old policy made everyone happy and “ If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Good Morning Brimary - we have just returned from 17 days on The Muse and had a fantastic time. In our opinion the Ship is excellent with the wonderful Crew we have come to love on Silversea - nothing is too much trouble.

The specific aspect of changing Menus did surface on The Muse and after some Guest Feedback an attempt was made in Terrazza to change a couple of the Main Courses but these soon changed back ?? - we only dined in Atlantide once ( Officers Table ) and found it noisy, chaotic and the Menu less than inspiring ( Other Guests indicated the Menu did not change throughout the 2 Cruises ). There are clearly numerous Dining options on The Muse and I personally feel that the present Set Up only caters for short Cruises - the Back to Back Cruiser is in the minority and will I fear face Menu boredom !!!!

Looking forward to meeting up next Year.

The specific aspect of changing Menus did surface on The Muse and after some Guest Feedback an attempt was made in Terrazza to change a couple of the Main Courses but these soon changed back ?? - we only dined in Atlantide once ( Officers Table ) and found it noisy, chaotic and the Menu less than inspiring ( Other Guests indicated the Menu did not change throughout the 2 Cruises ). There are clearly numerous Dining options on The Muse and I personally feel that the present Set Up only caters for short Cruises.

We will be back onboard soon for 15 days soon and will let you know what happens with the menus.

The dinner menu in La T changed only very slightly ( DH recalls they removed the Osso bucco) on the crossing. The Grill had the same menu at lunch with a different fish and rotisserie offering. Of course La T had the usual lunch buffet with hot and cold offerings which varied. I much preferred the atmosphere in Atlantide for breakfast and lunch.

We ate dinner in Atlantide a single time. We dined in the Grill at night or La T, or Spaccanapoli and just once in Indochine.

There was never an opportunity for lunch al fresco in La T, just way too cold and windy at the stern.

We did brave the elements at the Grill even in the cold and inclement weather because they have heaters and have partially enclosed the side areas with glass and

Roll up clear plastic shades ( and I had a parka!). While we were aboard we watched the engineers measure for and install additional glass windows to stop more draft.

A special lunch request was made by DH and honored by Silversea at every lunch thereafter.

We are recently off the of the Spirit TA. I think our only disappointment was the dinner menu. What we ate was delicious, but by the end of the trip, even the beautifully presented and tasty dishes were becoming a bore. I know, first world problem, but the track is fast on the "inclusive" cruise lines. We've done 3 of the big 4 and have never had a problem with changing menus. Something different each night, and several choices. As Spins mentioned, even La Terazza didn't change much other than to take the osso bucco off, one of their best dishes in my opinion.....oh well.........will be interested to see if there's any change in this down the line.

Brimary, as of our cruise earlier this month on Silver Wind: The dinner menus in the MDR changed daily. The menu for dinner in LT changed at least once, maybe twice, during the 10 days. Different ship from that which OP referred to, I know, but merely answering Brimary's question.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your informative response as to the up to date situation on or favourite Wind.Lets hope it stays to cover our 2019 bookings on the Wind.Pleased to see you enjoyed your recent cruise as described in your excellent reports.

Thanks for your informative response as to the up to date situation on or favourite Wind.Lets hope it stays to cover our 2019 bookings on the Wind.Pleased to see you enjoyed your recent cruise as described in your excellent reports.

Just a bit of further clarification: it seems that the lack of menu change problem is only on the Muse-ified ships -- so far, just Muse and Spirit. Travelers on ships like the Wind, which still has an MDR, should not encounter this problem.

Speaking as someone booked on a 26-day Silver Spirit B2B, I truly hope SS finds a way to offer variety within particular restaurants, and not simply count on variety among restaurants to provide culinary interest. If SS hasn't addressed the problem by 2020, I'll have to reconsider that voyage ... and I hope they address it sooner than that.

I wonder how much money SS saves by not changing the menus. This way they can predict exactly what they will need on terms of provisions. In the typical system where they change menus every day and night in the main restaurant they need to order more and different provisions to cater to everyone's orders. Just a thought.

Unibok is correct is saying that the menu problem is only on the Muse-ified ships

On the rest of the fleet they are able to offer a different menu every night in the MDR up to a point. There is a total of about 15 different menus they can work from, that menu is repeated after maybe 15 nights, so if you are on B2B you get repeats but by that time you have more than likely forgotten the first time you had that menu

When you have the next days menu in your suite in the evening, if you look to the top of the page there is a number and that is that menu which has been decided by HO. I am pretty certain that from memory that there are about 15 different menus

In La T., there is a slight change every 3 nights, about 3 items on the main course and on the 4th night you are back to the original

La Dame menu is the same on every ship in the fleet as is The Grill

It does all get a little tedious on the longer cruises if one still poses a good memory

Unibok is correct is saying that the menu problem is only on the Muse-ified ships

Which are the 'Muse-ified' ships? I follow SS only occasionally so I'm not current on whether they have taken the concepts from their new ships and applied them down the line to the older ones.

The dinner menu in La T changed only very slightly ( DH recalls they removed the Osso bucco) on the crossing. The Grill had the same menu at lunch with a different fish and rotisserie offering. Of course La T had the usual lunch buffet with hot and cold offerings which varied. I much preferred the atmosphere in Atlantide for breakfast and lunch. We ate dinner in Atlantide a single time. We dined in the Grill at night or La T, or Spaccanapoli and just once in Indochine. There was never an opportunity for lunch al fresco in La T, just way too cold and windy at the stern. We did brave the elements at the Grill even in the cold and inclement weather because they have heaters and have partially enclosed the side areas with glass and Roll up clear plastic shades ( and I had a parka!). While we were aboard we watched the engineers measure for and install additional glass windows to stop more draft. A special lunch request was made by DH and honored by Silversea at every lunch thereafter.

Appreciate the above details provided by Spins/Candy, plus the other comments and follow-ups provided by others. With our planned Silver Muse sailing next July in Alaska, we will only be on the ship for seven days. That would seem to be less of a challenge or issue than on longer, trans-Atlantic sailings. Hopefully Silversea will get this feed-back and make proper adjustments. Love the mention of Osso Bucco. That's one of my favorites!! Sorry it was too cold to enjoy lunch outside at La T. Also, a super love for us to do.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 212,963 views for this posting.