Silversea air and transfers

hiccups

We are considering a Mediterranean Silversea cruise next year as an anniversary splurge, in part because of the $699 one way business class airfare. We don't fly enough to have miles/points to book cheap flights on our own, and from prior experience we know we'd be looking at $3000 each just for flights like Air Canada Rouge Premium Economy (which we've flown and liked).

I know that transfers are included when using Silversea air, but I'm having difficulty finding the "small print" on the website in the event of a flight delay and what, if any, responsibility they take to get you to the ship (we do buy travel insurance). I'm assuming Silversea would allow the option of flying in the day before (possibly for an additional fee), but I also assume if we booked our own hotel we'd lose the transfers. I know we would have the option of a Silversea hotel, but I'd guess for a large premium.

Does anyone have any experience with Silversea air, or can provide a link with more information about their program?

It’s quite normal when flying in to have a hotel as part of your package and yes you could find cheaper on your own and there would be a surcharge for not using the standard package on offer and yes you would loose the transfers if you did that.

What are your start and end destinations? Depending on what they are, the transfers may well be something not worrying about losing! I’ve often had transfers included then done my own thing. I’ll be doing that in FLL next April. I’d rather make my own way to embark earlier than be instructed to leave much later than I want to.

As for responsibility, if your flight is delayed, SS will arrange for alternatives even if that means catching up with your ship in a future port. You won’t have to pay out. Obviously if using your own flights, you may well be covered by insurance but expect you’d probably pay for the alternative fare and claim back.

You can get more flexibility using a TA, though I tend to book direct.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ok, I’d suggest you check the price they quote for Hotel included with transfers and what the transfers actually are.

Both ports are doable but potentially not as straight forward as others might have been and depending on how keen you are to save money and be able to cart your luggage around.

My trip on the Muse last year I flew into Nice, caught the airport bus to the train station and the train into Monaco. From memory the bus was €6 and the train €3 ....(you could get a local bus to the station for €1.5 but it will be a frequent stopper and with luggage I’d personally not do that.

I expect the Hotel you book won’t be in Monaco and you’ll travel in from Nice or nearby?

If you are feeling flush you could take the helicopter!

Again for Venice you can do cheap or expensive. (Assuming you’re flying straight back home.)

A water taxi is the most convenient but obviously the dearest. I actually fly out to Venice next week with an overnight before I board.

Hi I have used Silverseas for flights many times and they have taken care of everything. We were delayed once and we caught the ship 1 day late after a flight and stay in hotel all paided for by SS.

We usually now go at least 1 night early because of the hiccop. they may charge a small amount but the hotel is usually at standard hotel rates. If going to the far east of australia we have 3 nights before sailing.

In europe ( where we live I usually do my own air but stay at their hotel.

Joe

There is a direct express bus service from Nice Airport to Monaco (Bus 110) ... and it is 22 euros and takes around 40 minutes. They leave every 30 minutes.

You could of course do as suggested and make a saving by taking the slow bus to Nice Gare and then the train to Monaco or splash out on the helicopter but this option seems sensible to me if you don’t want to prebook a taxi or limo.

http://uk.niceairportxpress.com/timetables.html

OP,

As you have already decided to take the offered air package, it seems to me that what you should do is have them price up simply arriving a day or so earlier. You aren’t able to make any rational comparisons or plans until you have all the basic data.

Good luck.

OP,

As you have already decided to take the offered air package, it seems to me that what you should do is have them price up simply arriving a day or so earlier. You aren’t able to make any rational comparisons or plans until you have all the basic data.

Good luck.

Thanks for all the information! Because the cruise isn't until October 2019, the hotel prices aren't listed yet for the pre- and post-cruise extensions. Knowing that Silversea would take care of getting us to the ship if we didn't arrive a day early is helpful.

Thanks for all the information! Because the cruise isn't until October 2019, the hotel prices aren't listed yet for the pre- and post-cruise extensions. Knowing that Silversea would take care of getting us to the ship if we didn't arrive a day early is helpful.

From what you have said, it seems to make sense to bite the bullet and simply have them make the arrangements. It means that once you check in at the airport then you can switch off think-mode and let their arrangements look after you.

Enjoy you anniversary trip.

From what you have said, it seems to make sense to bite the bullet and simply have them make the arrangements. It means that once you check in at the airport then you can switch off think-mode and let their arrangements look after you.

Enjoy you anniversary trip.

I love your thinking...switch off think-mode! That's why we almost always go with cruise included and or upgraded air/transfer/hotel package!