Bringing a bottle of wine on Carnival cruise ship?

Produce123

hi there, my girlfriend and myself are not big drinkers so we would like to bring a bottle of wine on the ship with us. If one of us brings a bottle of wine, does that exclude one of us to also bring a 12 pack of canned soda? And what are the fees or charges we need to pay when bringing the bottle onboard and to dinner about three times? Thanks.

hi there, my girlfriend and myself are not big drinkers so we would like to bring a bottle of wine on the ship with us. If one of us brings a bottle of wine, does that exclude one of us to also bring a 12 pack of canned soda? And what are the fees or charges we need to pay when bringing the bottle onboard and to dinner about three times? Thanks.

You can each bring a bottle of wine plus a 12 pack of soda in cans... If you bring the bottle of wine to dinner, they will charge you a corkage fee... I believe its 15.00. If you want to save the fee, just bring a glass with you each night, if you are only having 1 with dinner

You can each bring a bottle of wine on with you as well as you can each take a 12pk on (both, not either one). There is no fee for taking your soda or wine with you to dinner. You can open the wine in your cabin and take it with you. We always take our bottles of wine with us to dinner. Carnival does reserve the right to charge a $10 (or 15?) corkage fee but honestly I have never been charged that nor known anyone who has.

I got charged a $18 I think corkage fee to open a RCL free bottle of wine gifted to me by a TA that I took into the MDR, so never again.

I am bringing screw top caps on the wine Im bringing aboard. I had a bad experience on Carnival the last time I brought a corked bottle. I tried at least 3 bars, and all the bar tenders said they were not allowed to open it, and I was more than willing to tip generously.

If you dont have a corkscrew the only means of opening it is to call room service who will bring you a cork screw or bring it to the MDR. I called room service. Seemed dumb to me since all I wanted was to tip someone to open the bottle of wine.

so this trip both bottles have screw tops. You can buy bottles of wine even $15 or more here that have screw tops, not just cheapies. the red is rated 87/100 im bringing ... we will see. I just am not going thru all that fuss about uncorking it again.

I guess you are allowed to bring a corkscrew, though Im no longer allowed to bring a regular pair of scissors, only a tiny size. This makes no sense to me as i could easily take a steak knife from dinner if i wanted something sharp, but they now take regular size scissors from me, so i dont chance a cork screw.

I am bringing screw top caps on the wine Im bringing aboard.

There are few wines that benefit from having a cork. These are usually bold reds that require a quarter century in a cellar for the tannins to oxidize to the point of being drinkable.

White wines and young reds actually are better with screw caps, as they prevent oxygen from entering the bottle. More and more quality wines are now sold with screw caps. I do look for them when selecting a bottle to carry on board.

Wine bottles have used corks for over 300 years, and have become traditional along with some ceremony to remove them (not to mention some modern cool gadgets.) On a Carnival ship it is not necessary to bring a corkscrew with you. Ask your room steward for one. They usually produce one from their pocket, or leave a note asking for a corkscrew and wine glasses. It has a cool Carnival logo on it.

I don't need more than a glass of wine with a meal, so I pour in my cabin, and take the glass to the dining room. This avoids the corkage charge.

Add that to the list of reasons I will probably never try RCL.

I wouldnt have been so mad if it hadnt been a bottle of RCL wine.

apparantly you have to order it to the dining room in order to avoid the corkage fee. (as opposed to ordering it to be delivered to your cabin).

I guess you are allowed to bring a corkscrew, though Im no longer allowed to bring a regular pair of scissors, only a tiny size. This makes no sense to me as i could easily take a steak knife from dinner if i wanted something sharp, but they now take regular size scissors from me, so i dont chance a cork screw.

Once we flew with just carry-ons. TSA flagged it and searched the bag. TSA agent asked if we had anything sharp or with a blase We couldn't think of anything. She then asked if we had a corkscrew. Smack forehead! Our corkscrew was in my husband's bag.

She pulled out the corkscrew and offered to have us break off the one inch foil cutter or toss the whole thing. We chose the latter as we paid a whopping $1.99 at Trader Joe's.

So...a one inch "blade" was not allowed in a carry-on but a three inch auger with a point was???

Let's not even mention knitting needles!!!

We do bring a corkscrew in our checked bags on cruises.

Once we flew with just carry-ons. TSA flagged it and searched the bag. TSA agent asked if we had anything sharp or with a blase We couldn't think of anything. She then asked if we had a corkscrew. Smack forehead! Our corkscrew was in my husband's bag.

She pulled out the corkscrew and offered to have us break off the one inch foil cutter or toss the whole thing. We chose the latter as we paid a whopping $1.99 at Trader Joe's.

So...a one inch "blade" was not allowed in a carry-on but a three inch auger with a point was???

Let's not even mention knitting needles!!!

We do bring a corkscrew in our checked bags on cruises.

Im still trying to figure out why they care about my scissors boarding the cruise.

What can I do with scissors that I couldnt do with a steak knife from the dinner table easily slipped into my purse ... if i had a mind to which I dont.

you can bring tiny sewing scissors, which i bought a pair at walmart i am packing, just sometimes you want them. You get a snag, whatever, sometimes you can use a pair of scissors, but only the tiny pair is now allowed. not the regular sized ones.

I personally think the rules are nuts.

Not to hijack the thread but I'm surprised they give you grief over scissors.

From website up to 4" blades are permitted:

• Scissors with blades longer than four (4) inches (Large scissors of the type used by scrapbook and quilting enthusiasts are at times permitted with prior notification from the Security Services Department, but are held on board in the same manner as dive knives.)

There are few wines that benefit from having a cork. These are usually bold reds that require a quarter century in a cellar for the tannins to oxidize to the point of being drinkable.

White wines and young reds actually are better with screw caps, as they prevent oxygen from entering the bottle. More and more quality wines are now sold with screw caps. I do look for them when selecting a bottle to carry on board.

Wine bottles have used corks for over 300 years, and have become traditional along with some ceremony to remove them (not to mention some modern cool gadgets.) On a Carnival ship it is not necessary to bring a corkscrew with you. Ask your room steward for one. They usually produce one from their pocket, or leave a note asking for a corkscrew and wine glasses. It has a cool Carnival logo on it.

I don't need more than a glass of wine with a meal, so I pour in my cabin, and take the glass to the dining room. This avoids the corkage charge.

Unfortunately room stewards no longer have corkscrews. Last two times told to call room service who will come to open wine for you.

Lately take the wine to the DR have the waiter open it and than take it back to cabin to pour off two glasses. Rather silly.

If you both drink the same wine you can bring 1.5 liter boxed wine. Then you do not have to worry about the corkscrew. Also, the box is much lighter than two 750 ml bottles.

or just pick out bottles with a screw top. My experience last time was as the above poster.

Only room service or in the MDR will open the darn bottle of wine, so this time i made sure to only buy bottles with screw off tops. One poster said above it really doesnt make a big difference unless you like aged reds. I like sweeter whites, my roomie wants reds, so one box doesnt work, though she said she would try my white.

Waste of a hour trying to get a corkscrew last time wouldnt happen again. At least I learn from my mistakes.

I cant swear the room steward didnt have a corkscrew, but he wasnt around in the middle of the afternoon before dinner when I wanted to open the darn bottle. I only tried multiple bars.

They will tell you it must be charged. This is what happened to my DH. He then took bottle back to room and came back with a glass (full, not what they would serve). If you are doing a checked bag, then you can bring the corkscrew opener no problem. I also have brought full size scissors on our trip on the Conquest last January with no problem.

So if you bring wine on board and open the bottle yourself and take said bottle to the dining room, is there a corkage fee?

So if you bring wine on board and open the bottle yourself and take said bottle to the dining room, is there a corkage fee?

Yes... as some have reported, sometimes they don't charge, but they say they will charge if you bring in a bottle..

There could be. A corkage fee is not a charge for removing the cork, but rather a charge for allowing you to bring your wine of choice rather than purchasing from the ship (I've heard some land restaurants offer the same). As part of the corkage fee the restaurant/dining room will also uncork your bottle for you, but that is not the reason for the fee.

Hope that makes sense:)

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2633/~/liquor-and-beverage-policy

Try this link if your cruising Carnival. We took a corkscrew in our checked bag as they will charge a $15 corkage fee if they open it for you in the dining room.

1 bottle per person in carry-on bag. Plus 1 12 pack of pop per person as well.

We had those disposable wine glasses in our checked bags and filled them in the room every night and carried them to dinner.

They will tell you it must be charged. This is what happened to my DH. He then took bottle back to room and came back with a glass (full, not what they would serve). If you are doing a checked bag, then you can bring the corkscrew opener no problem. I also have brought full size scissors on our trip on the Conquest last January with no problem.

I bring along a travel corkscrew in my carry one and no one has ever said a word that I couldnt.

We've taken a travel corkscrew a couple of times with no problem. We carried on both times, too.

I've never tried to take one carry-on, but do have a small corkscrew that stays in my travel toiletry bag at all times (along with my favorite bottle stopper ;) ).