North West Passage (Kangerlussuaq to Nome) Silver Cloud August 21 2020

Kiwi John

Thinking of doing this cruise in a Silver Suite.

Would appreciate any comments from those that have done this cruise previously, is it worth it for the money and what are the negatives?

Also how does the Silver Suite on the refurbished Cloud compare to say Shadow or Spirit/Muse.

I did this cruise on Silver Explorer in 2014; it was a disaster. Of course, ours was scheduled 12 days earlier so we were forced to remain in Greenland for an extra three days to allow ice to continue to melt; when that didn't help we eventually transited to Canada where we again dallied until authorities agreed to provide an icebreaker which we sailed behind for three days. We saw lots of Greenland and Canadian villages, a few historical sites (all wonderful), some nice glaciers and icebergs, and almost no wildlife.

You will be two weeks later so hopefully no issues with ice; however, if the Expedition Leader is Stefan Kredel I would run not walk away from this cruise. His interests are the villages and history and has absolutely no interest in maximizing wildlife sightings (e.g., we stayed in Greenland for three more villages instead of transiting to Canada's Devon Island to search for wildlife).

Northwest Passage was a bucket list cruise for me; however, Silversea's planning was atrocious; they wanted to get to Nome on 1 September (same day as Amundsen) and didn't bother to check out ice conditions.

Just my two cents,

Marc

Thanks Marc, given the cost and uncertainty in relation to ice I think we will choose another cruise.

I could not stand the frustration if we could not stick to the itinerary.

We have already done the Artic and just thought the Northwest Passage may be a little different for a change.