Call for pick up from camp ocean

MOteacher

I wasn't finding anything with a search, but wondering if my 8 year old granddaughter goes to camp will they let her call if she is ready to leave, or will i have to keep going to check on her. She can have use of a phone and the hub app, would they let her use that?

Yes but keep in mind that they have a limited number of the mobile phones and families with small children/toddlers and children with special needs get priority. If they run out, you may not get one. She can still call the cabin, but you probably won’t be in there all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think the phones are only for parents of children 5 and below. 17 cruises with my kids (now 12 and 14) and we have never been offered a phone. Now they can sign themselves out but my husband and I would stop by a couple times and "peek" just to make sure they were having fun and wanted to stay when they were young. Also, I remember one time my son wasn't feeling well and the camp called my room and left a message. Fortunately, we had stopped by and found out on our own anyway but when we got back to the room we saw the red light on.

I was on the Miracle with my grandson who was 7. When he was dropped off at the kids’ program, the staff said that I could call anytime to check on him and to see if he wanted to leave. That freed me from staying in the cabin waiting for him to call.

At 8, I am not sure they allow them to have phones in camp. At that age the child should be a 2nd or 3rd grader. This is a great time to teach some decision making skills. There is a program handed out at the beginning of the week that details all the times and activities for the week. Have her specify what she wants to participate in and set a return time. It is highly unlikely that she would get bored or be unhappy, and if she is, truly, so what? Don’t we want to raise our children to deal with negative emotions, boredom, frustration etc and not be one of those annoying kids that is so spoiled because they get their way every second of every day?

At 8, I am not sure they allow them to have phones in camp. At that age the child should be a 2nd or 3rd grader. This is a great time to teach some decision making skills. There is a program handed out at the beginning of the week that details all the times and activities for the week. Have her specify what she wants to participate in and set a return time. It is highly unlikely that she would get bored or be unhappy, and if she is, truly, so what? Don’t we want to raise our children to deal with negative emotions, boredom, frustration etc and not be one of those annoying kids that is so spoiled because they get their way every second of every day?

It's her vacation too, she should be able to enjoy it how she wants to.

It's her vacation too, she should be able to enjoy it how she wants to.

Of course she should enjoy it - I am just suggesting that she should not be driving the ship, so to speak. Why should parents or grandparents have to stop what they are enjoying just because the child is bored?

My kids have been cruising for 12 years - the youngest in now 14 and the oldest 20. Never once has either of them had an issue where they needed to leave camp at a time that we had not arranged. When they were young they went form 9-12 every sea day and then we picked them up for lunch. They chose afterwards to return to camp, swim, play putt-putt etc. regardless, they were back in the room by 4/430 for quiet time and in the shower at 530 to be ready for 6 pm dinner. By 7 they were begging to be dropped at camp and thrilled to stay til 10. There is just no reason that they can’t plan and make choices for 3 hr blocks at a time - there is no need to be at her beck and call.

If you are really worried about it, stop by half way through and see if she wants to leave or stay. But the last thing I would do is give an 8 year old a cell phone that could be lost, taken, broken or fought over if she is playing games on it. Not a good mix with a bunch of 6-8 year olds that don’t have their own phones.

Of course she should enjoy it - I am just suggesting that she should not be driving the ship, so to speak. Why should parents or grandparents have to stop what they are enjoying just because the child is bored?

My kids have been cruising for 12 years - the youngest in now 14 and the oldest 20. Never once has either of them had an issue where they needed to leave camp at a time that we had not arranged. When they were young they went form 9-12 every sea day and then we picked them up for lunch. They chose afterwards to return to camp, swim, play putt-putt etc. regardless, they were back in the room by 4/430 for quiet time and in the shower at 530 to be ready for 6 pm dinner. By 7 they were begging to be dropped at camp and thrilled to stay til 10. There is just no reason that they can’t plan and make choices for 3 hr blocks at a time - there is no need to be at her beck and call.

If you are really worried about it, stop by half way through and see if she wants to leave or stay. But the last thing I would do is give an 8 year old a cell phone that could be lost, taken, broken or fought over if she is playing games on it. Not a good mix with a bunch of 6-8 year olds that don’t have their own phones.

I agree that you don't need to be at her beck and call, I just don't see an issue with allowing her to be able to say she's had enough. It's a good teachable moment for kids that what they want does matter and their wishes are important, but I work with kids in a learning environment, so I see even the smallest things like that.

I agree that you don't need to be at her beck and call, I just don't see an issue with allowing her to be able to say she's had enough. It's a good teachable moment for kids that what they want does matter and their wishes are important, but I work with kids in a learning environment, so I see even the smallest things like that.

So explain to me if she calls and says, pick me up, and the adult goes and gets her, how is that not at the beck and call? What if the adult is in the middle of something? Are you going to say I will be there when I finish X?

I am all for kids having choices but I work in an environment where I see daily the disasterous results of selfish, spoiled, entitiled children.

If for example my kid says I want to play football. We play football - and their is no changing minds in the middle of the season because they aren’t starting, their friend Johnny plays soccer, it “too hard,” or whatever reason they have. They make a decision, make a commitment to an activity and stick with it.

Here we aren’t even talking a 3 month sports season - just 3 hrs, max. If she doesn’t like something she will have 1) learned to deal with it regardless , 2) will have learned to make a different choice next time and 3) still learned that her opinion matters because she is free to make a new choice.

Just my $.02 and trying to offer a perspective from someone who has taken over a dozen cruises with her kids and dealt with every camp age group Carnival offers.

So explain to me if she calls and says, pick me up, and the adult goes and gets her, how is that not at the beck and call? What if the adult is in the middle of something? Are you going to say I will be there when I finish X?

I am all for kids having choices but I work in an environment where I see daily the disasterous results of selfish, spoiled, entitiled children.

If for example my kid says I want to play football. We play football - and their is no changing minds in the middle of the season because they aren’t starting, their friend Johnny plays soccer, it “too hard,” or whatever reason they have. They make a decision, make a commitment to an activity and stick with it.

Here we aren’t even talking a 3 month sports season - just 3 hrs, max. If she doesn’t like something she will have 1) learned to deal with it regardless , 2) will have learned to make a different choice next time and 3) still learned that her opinion matters because she is free to make a new choice.

Just my $.02 and trying to offer a perspective from someone who has taken over a dozen cruises with her kids and dealt with every camp age group Carnival offers.

Gosh, thanks for all the parenting advice. Do you have a book I can purchase by any chance?

• Like 1

gosh everyone knows what is best for everyone else based on their own ideas.

here is mine let the parent or grand parent do things the way they want to raise their kids and stay out of it there is no way you know all the details of their situation. Your well meant suggestions could cause just as much harm even tho it was not intended.

OP asked about phones its their business how they want to utilize it. IMO

So flame away and make yourself feel better.

My youngest daughter is 9 and we have just stopped by and checked on her, 9 out of 10 times she wants to stay longer if possible.  You have a good question because for her 9th birthday she got an iPod Touch from grandma and I know she will want to bring it with her in March.  I most likely won't let her take it into camp, just because things can get misplaced, but my oldest in now in the teen program and also has just loved camp all these years.  Of course it was very hard to let her do the check yourself out option when she hit 10 but then again we set boundaries of what areas she was allowed to go into at that age (no pools, halls, only lido and sports deck areas).

I would just ask on that first day what they suggest, they might have a place to store the phones/ipods/walkie talkies so kids can reach out to parents if needed or they might allow to use the phone to leave a message in the room.  If you do go before march let us know how it worked out 🙂  with the camp and what she was able to do.

Can someone explain how the check out process works from Club Ocean? For example, are parents let in to the space to go get their kid? Or do the counselors bring the kids to the front while you wait outside the space? Just want to verify if parents/adults are let into the space to pick up their kids, both from a safety and time perspective. Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Bec1217 said:

Can someone explain how the check out process works from Club Ocean? For example, are parents let in to the space to go get their kid? Or do the counselors bring the kids to the front while you wait outside the space? Just want to verify if parents/adults are let into the space to pick up their kids, both from a safety and time perspective. Thanks!

In my experience parents are not let in; they wait at the counter/door depending on the ship and the child comes to the front.  All ships are very accessible - either via closed circuit TV or vision, that allows you to easily see your child at any time.

On 10/8/2018 at 8:07 PM, BNBR said:

Gosh, thanks for all the parenting advice. Do you have a book I can purchase by any chance?

Why do you have to be so snarky?  The post wasn't even aimed at you.  It's her opinion.  I don't necessarily agree but why isn't it OK for her to have an opinion, even if it's different than yours? 

My daughter has always been allowed to call our room if she wants to leave or is hungry. Also, we haven’t been issued a cell phone since she aged out of the 2-5yo group. 

Generally, we look at the schedule together, go through the activities and decide on a pickup time. The only time she has called me has been when a pickup time was agreed on in advance. 

37 minutes ago, Bec1217 said:

Parents are not allowed to enter the camp area during camp times. Everything is done from the door/counter area. A few times I was allowed inside to get her, but that was during Night Owls and half the kids where asleep. 

2 hours ago, A&Jfamily said:

In my experience parents are not let in; they wait at the counter/door depending on the ship and the child comes to the front.  All ships are very accessible - either via closed circuit TV or vision, that allows you to easily see your child at any time.

Wow! You can watch the kids club on your TV?! I had no idea.