A question from a new cruiser (and serial worrier!) about cancellations

Morning Thoughts

In your experience, it is usual for a cruise to get cancelled? We have booked Alaska for 2019 and were strongly urged to do so by SS because the cruises sell out very quickly. Now several months later, most of the suites are still available and prices seem to be rising. Is it still likely that it will sell well (or sell out) or could it conceivably be cancelled nearer to the time if doesn't sell enough? I appreciate anyone who's willing to weigh in with an opinion. Thanks,

Jane

Prices change often. I'd say it is highly unlikely it would canceled. Sit back and stay dreaming about your cruise. Best advice I can give is relax, you're on vacation. Everything won't be perfect but sit back and make memories that will help you forget any imperfections. Pack lighter than you think you should and have fun. Reading through these forums gives you lots of great info. Happy cruising

Bill T

The 2019 Alaska season is on the Silver Muse, which is the newest ship in the fleet. Due to its newness and its size, it is highly unlikely that the Muse would be cancelled for a dry dock, or an extended refurb, or chartered out. The Shadow used to be their go-to Alaska ship, and it may likely have sold out earlier, but the Muse is a bit bigger than the Shadow, and SS is probably still trying to gauge how much capacity they can have in Alaska.

I am also sailing the Muse in Alaska next season, and the prices have doubled since I booked that voyage. That, for me, is the real reason to book early.

To the 2019 Alaska cruisers, if you want a whale watching/wildlife adventure of a lifetime, check out Gallant Adventures in Sitka. Captain Paul and his 6-passenger boat take you places the larger boats can't go. On our 2018 excursion we saw many whales up close, sea otters, sea lions, hundreds of birds and a grizzly. Go for the 5-hour tour and you won't be disappointed. Book early as he fills up quickly.

fullsizeoutput_28c-S.jpg

fullsizeoutput_271-S.jpg

fullsizeoutput_38f-S.jpg

fullsizeoutput_33f-S.jpg

fullsizeoutput_387-S.jpg