4 days in Myanmar ? what to do?

Reef Knot

Hi,

I'm looking into a 12 day Silversea cruise on the 21st March next year- Singapore to Singapore, however looking at the itinerary she stays in Yangon for 4 days.

Do we stay on the ship or move to a hotel ? I've only been on a couple of cruises before but neither of them have had to experience 4 days of "non cruising" Can anyone let me know what this is like.

Thanks,

Nick

I see a lot of shore excursions listed some of them overnight tours away from the ship. For this cruise it says that a selection of shore excursions are included in the price. Does this mean one excursion per port ? and is there any way of knowing which excursions are included and which require payment ?

Thanks again,

Nick

If you want to take the time and spend the $$, I recommend you take an over night to Bagan and to Mandalay. My husband and I were on one , if not the first, call in Yangon. We chose the offered  overnight off the ship. It was incrediable. In Mandalay we stayed at a fine hotel which backed up to a steep hill down which the Buddha descended. We had beautiful dinner in a candlelit garden. The next day we turned Mandalay. I LOVED this experience. Then we flew to Bagan where we stayed in a beautiful cottage type hotel right on the Irrawaddy River. We spent most of the next day touring several of the over a thousand temples in Bagan.

i wouldn't trade these two days for anything.

On our next , and probably last, trip to Burma, we stayed in the port, and, for two days we toured in and around Yangon. I enjoyed experiencing  the amazing markets, and the  huge, fabulous Temple in Yangon. But nothing could touch our previous off the ship experiences. My only regret is not taking the balloon trip offered in Bagan. 

I agree that  Burma is problematic. Go while it’s safe and open enough to see a bit of the country before the regime totally cracks down. I think this could happen...maybe sooner rather than later....and maybe even now. 

• Like 1

It would (probably) be too late to book any overnight excursions if you waited until you were on board. If you don’t care about going on these overnights, and IF your Travel Agent has actually been to Burma, fairly recently, you should be fine. The excursion folks on the ship are there to help you sort out choices. Usually they will give excellent information and interesting  insights.