Beach sans motorized toys and crowds?

Vineyard View

Is there such a thing? A beach without the motorized beach toys and without huge crowds?

Is there a beach with loungers/umbrellas to rent, good swimming & maybe snorkeling?

We aren’t sure the current status since the hurricanes. We would like to enjoy a little beach time and a little shopping/lunch time in Charlotte Amalie. St Thomas will be our last port on a longer cruise and we are hoping for some chill time. Thank you

If you head left down the beach at Magens it gets less and less crowded. Has everything on your list except snorkeling. Most beaches with amenities appeal to most people so they attract more people. Crowds also depend on when you come. If you come Aug-mid Nov very few crowds.

One of the best and probably our favorite on STT is Secret Harbour. It is a small resort where you can rent beach loungers (from the dive shop), very pretty beach and usually only the guests plus a few cruisers who are "in the know" about this place. The snorkeling is very good too, plus there is a great little beach front restaurant for lunch and beverages. Highly recommended if you want a more mellow, less crowded experience but still have the amenities. No jet skis, no blasting music. But I'll probably get blasted here for revealing this place, ha!

Yes that ideal beach with amenities, food and drinks - and no crowds because no one else on your ship is looking for that same beach - is very elusive.

There are a couple good choices for beaches with few or no other cruisers, and you can find food and drink and restrooms, but not loungers and umbrellas. Elysian Beach, and our fav Hull Bay. I see recent reviews of Hull Bay Hideaway so it looks like they are open. But getting there (at least to HB) can be a challenge, only because taxi drivers lose money when running one couple to a different beach. You just need to find a driver who will drop you while taking others to Magens, or perhaps flag a driver outside the port area. We have not been to either since Irma so I would rely on MS411’s or others feedback on the current conditions.

Secret Harbor, like Coki, is a small bay and you will be sharing the beach with other cruisers (it is well-known by cruisers as evidenced by the many threads on this forum) as well as guests of the Secret Harbour Resort and other nearby guest houses.

MS411’s recommendation of Magens Bay is a good one for the amenities you desire (sans snorkeling as mentioned, and you will see the most day visitors there).

Our choice for a beach with all the amenities you want would be Sapphire, gorgeous beach and easier to get away from the main group of day visitors. But we are partial to Sapphire for the island views and gorgeous water colors...

Yes blue water.....I am asking for the nearly impossible! But the answer is always ‘no’ unless you ask!

Sapphire has actually been at the top of our considerations. I love snorkeling and that is my draw.

I was at Magen’s years ago. I know it has changed a lot in crowds since, but even then there wasn’t snorkeling. Beautiful - without a doubt and calm. Calm is important to DH, so not sure if Saphire is fairly challenging in that manner?

Sapphire is not in a protected cove like Magens so it can get rougher than Magens if it's windy.

Not sure if they are renting umbrellas at Sapphire. Many trees were lost during storms so there is less shade everywhere. Mavens rents umbrellas.

Yes blue water.....I am asking for the nearly impossible! But the answer is always ‘no’ unless you ask!

Sapphire has actually been at the top of our considerations. I love snorkeling and that is my draw.

I was at Magen’s years ago. I know it has changed a lot in crowds since, but even then there wasn’t snorkeling. Beautiful - without a doubt and calm. Calm is important to DH, so not sure if Saphire is fairly challenging in that manner?

A few ports, including Tortola and SXM, still do offer that one perfect beach (read more secluded and harder to get to) with all of these amenities. So it is possible in rare cases where cruise ships visit. That beach hasn’t been shared with us by any locals while staying on STT. MS411 May be hiding it from us too! ;) Are there lounges/umbrellas at Brewer’s?

Hull and Elysian get you away from your fellow cruisers, but offer no lounges/umbrellas.

Did someone say SH is no longer renting umbrellas (?). You can contact aadivers.com to inquire too. Otherwise Magens sounds like your beach with the calm water, and the amenities you desire.

Enjoy your cruise! :)

We always taxi to Emerald Beach, out near the airport. Some storm damage but we were there in March and chair and umbrella rentals were open, 2 or 3 bars along the beach. Very calm beach, great view and the occasional plane taking off is fun. Snorkelling to the left of beach, but we've never done it there so not sure how good it is

There were maybe 30 to 40 people when we were there, almost all cruisers. When we found it 10 years ago, there were only 3 couples, lol. More cruise ships now I guess.

Some friends and a crew member told us about Secret Harbor so we tried it in Dec. 17. It was good too, but it was difficult to get to with storm damage. That's why we went back to Emerald. I'm sure Secret Harbor is easier to get to now.

Our next trip in March we are thinking of going to St. John, hoping they might have that elusive, quiet beach.

The problem is finding a quiet beach (no huge crowds) with all the amenities including lounges and umbrellas (if natural shade is not an option), and that is just nonexistent on STT and STJ, or most islands with cruise ship ports. Lindqvist was a wonderful option just a few years ago, and is still a good choice on your own when no mega ships are in (and if lounges aren’t needed).

But yes, Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) is probably her best option with shopping in town after, and maybe some snorkeling?

And there are definitely elusive, quiet beaches on STJ, just without those amenities...

Edited by blue_water

Motor vessels are allowed at Emerald Beach. There used to be a jet ski rental business on the beach and sometimes people who own jet skis ride by. Not often, but it does happen.

Secret Harbor, Magens, and Lindqvist are protected so motors not allowed.

No lounge rentals at Brewers.