going to Disneyland after cruise

1rocky

Hi

After cruising in Hawaii am flying to LA for several days. Wondering if people could tell me please what Disneyland is like in January. Crowds etc do they close alot of rides. Also will be staying at the Disneyland Hotel and would like comments on that as well. Another hotel am staying at i the Sheraton Universal and doing the tours of hollywood etc. also doing the vip tour of universal studios. Any tips or comments would be greatly appreciated thanks

You can check out the reviews of both of these hotels at www.tripadvisor.com. Disneyland hotel was the premiere hotel in Anaheim until the new California Adventure hotel, whose name I can't remember, was built.

Disneyland should be pretty tourist free, especially during the week, in January. Rides will only be closed due to refurbishment. You can check out which ones might be closed at the Disneyland web site closer to your arrival date.

The major changes at California Adventures should be complete by then.

Universal Studios should also be pretty empty of tourists in January. If you go during the week, you might see something being filmed as the television shows won't be on summer hiatus (which is usually spring and early summer)

Thanks for the info PatriciaF. I will check with the travel agent and see when she has us booked for universal studios. and if need be change it to a weekday. This forum has been a great source of help for my upcoming trips thanks

Hi

After cruising in Hawaii am flying to LA for several days. Wondering if people could tell me please what Disneyland is like in January. Crowds etc do they close alot of rides. Also will be staying at the Disneyland Hotel and would like comments on that as well. Another hotel am staying at i the Sheraton Universal and doing the tours of hollywood etc. also doing the vip tour of universal studios. Any tips or comments would be greatly appreciated thanks

For more information on Disneyland check out micechat(dot)com

Disney on the weekends will be crowded, especially on a Saturday. During the week it should be fine. The hours are shorter but there will not be so many people in the parks. Rides may be closed for rehab. Small World and Haunted Mansion usually close in January to change the ride over from the holiday versions back to the regular versions. They don't close lots of rides at the same time, they try to stagger them.

DL hotel is great. I love it. The pool is Peter Pan themed. If you are traveling with kids Goofy's Kitchen is a lot of fun.

Jen in SoCal

Hi

Thanks Jen . No Little kids travelling just us three big kids. Do you think a suite would be good at the Disney hotel or stick with ordinary room. Have booked three character breakfasts . Am also thinking of the character dinners.

With the photographers are the pics when ordered what cost are we looking at.

When at Hong Kong Disneyladn we bought so many:):) With the rides would there still be enough around for the four days we are planning there thanks

Thanks Jen . No Little kids travelling just us three big kids. Do you think a suite would be good at the Disney hotel or stick with ordinary room. Have booked three character breakfasts . Am also thinking of the character dinners.

When at Hong Kong Disneyladn we bought so many:):) With the rides would there still be enough around for the four days we are planning there thanks

The rooms are pretty good size, especially if you can get on the conceirge floor, a really great perk is the early entry that you get by staying at the hotel, the evenings & weekends won't be packed but there will be plenty of ap holders (like me) Best time to get on the most rides is as early am as possible, enjoy!

I would think if you go the second week of January on (avoid the third Monday of January, though, as that's a national holiday, Martin Luther King Jr., which schoolkids and some workers have off), a weekday will be relatively quiet. Many southern California schools will have the first week of January off.

thanks Cruisin Chick

We go to Hawaii first and cruise on the Pride of America and then fly to LA on the 15th Jan 2011. Is it best to do Disneyland first and then travel to LA hotel after looking at five days at disneyland hotel and five days La Hotel

thanks Cruisin Chick

We go to Hawaii first and cruise on the Pride of America and then fly to LA on the 15th Jan 2011. Is it best to do Disneyland first and then travel to LA hotel after looking at five days at disneyland hotel and five days La Hotel

I just looked at a 2011 calendar and MLK Day is on Jan 17. Some locals may take advantage of the three-day weekend to go out of town, but more likely most locals will stick around. So those three days may be a tough day for amusement parks, but if you go early enough (if DL opens at 9am, be already in line and with tickets purchased when the gates open and then go on the more popular rides) can be doable.

Well since you seem to like character meals, then check out Goofy's Kitchen at the DL hotel, we have always enjoyed it. You probably will not be in the room all that much so a regular should be OK. The rooms I have stayed in are decent sized.

I have never paid for a photo at DL so I can't help there.

AP is annual pass holder. I have been one off and on for years but right now my pass is expired so I can't check on photo prices.

4 days is sufficient. Three to me is perfect if it is not crowded. Two days at DL and 1 day at California Adventure. With four you will have plenty of time.

Jen in SoCal

thanks Jen1000

Am booking into the Disneyland Hotel around the 20th Jan 2011 to 26th Jan depending on flights.So with shopping four days at Disneyland and a day trip to have a meal with Shamu it should be great. My sister is an avid disney fan and we all throughly enjoyed the character meals at Hong Kong Disneyland.

Thanks again to everyone this has helped alot to plan our holiday.

Archived