San Pedro port questions

10s nut

Going out of San Pedro on 1/28. What are some good hotels in the area? What is the best means of transportation from LAX to San Pedro? Any hotels offer shuttle service to the port? Any recommendations on restaurants and things to do in the area?

Thanks!

We will be going out of San Pedro on the 29th of Jan. I did research some hotel/shuttle options, and so far we have booked the Holiday Inn with a transfer from LAX. There are other options, like Long Beach hotels, but we choose San Pedro for convenience, since we will only be there for an overnight.

From LAX you can also get Super Shuttle or Primetime Shuttle to hotels in Long Beach or San Pedro.

Restaurants in San Pedro: not a clue, but we will most likely just have dinner at the hotel.

We will be going out of San Pedro on the 29th of Jan. I did research some hotel/shuttle options, and so far we have booked the Holiday Inn with a transfer from LAX. There are other options, like Long Beach hotels, but we choose San Pedro for convenience, since we will only be there for an overnight.

From LAX you can also get Super Shuttle or Primetime Shuttle to hotels in Long Beach or San Pedro.

Restaurants in San Pedro: not a clue, but we will most likely just have dinner at the hotel.

Will you be on the January 29 crusie on the Vision with us

I started a meet and mingle for this date

we have never been on the vision, but have enjoyed the Rhapsody, Voyager, Jewel and Radience

I just booked for a one-night stay at the LA Harbor Hotel in San Pedro, it is changing over to a Crowne Plaza Hotel as of January. At first glance it seems a little expensive, but after breaking down the cost for all parts, room, transfers and breakfast, it is reasonably priced. It is $219 for the one nite stay, it includes transfer from LAX to the Hotel and from the hotel to the airport (they use Primetime shuttle). It also includes transfers from the hotel to the pier and includes a full buffet breakfast, not a continental breakfast.

We had a difficult time deciding on which hotel, especially after reading all the reviews here. We were debating between the San Pedro Holiday Inn ($199), which doesn't include any breakfast if you use the Fly and Cruise Package, and also staying at Long Beach, and even trying PriceLine, but since this is our first trip to the West Coast, we decided to stay near the dock. :rolleyes:

We are cruising on the Sapphire Princess in April, can't wait.

I just booked a room at the Crowne Plaza and I had to call to make the reservation. I am torn between here and the Coast Hotel (actually I still have my Coast Reservation, I will cancel soon). I decided that because it was just one night I will go with the one closest to the port, we are pretty basic people so hopefully this is the right decision.

I used to live in Pedro, I would stay away from the Holiday Inn or any Hotel on Gaffey - the freeway ends right there and you will hear traffic all night, along with the fact that it is not an ideal area of town. If you want to be close to the terminal go with the Crowne Plaza or Marina Hotel.

:) Hey old friend, how are you?

I sailed from San Pedro last month on SUMMIT and had a fantastic

time.

I went with a girlfriend and we stayed at the Hilton in Longbeach.

It was probably a 15 minute ride to the pier.

I flew into LAX and used Supershuttle to get to the hotel. I would

recommend another company though. There is Karmel Shuttle, it is

more $$$ but they take reservations.

Supershuttle is not very organizied...when you miss one van you have

to wait.....and wait......and wait......I was at the airport for almost

an hour:rolleyes: waiting for their next van.

It was 17.00.....I would have paid the 36.00 Karmel charges and been

to the hotel way sooner.

Anyway, have a great cruise:) hope you are doing well!!!

We booked the LA Harbor Hotel, (Soon to be a Crowne Plaza). I browsed the web and read most of the reviews about LA hotels on this site. We finally decided to book the Fly and Cruise at the Crowne because it was closer to the pier, included all transportation, and a breakfast.:D

You can call them at 1-888-890-9888. If you book with them they will email you all the instructions on the transportation along with your confirmation.

LO!!! So good to see you are still cruising! I will be on the NCL Star on the 28th. I still keep in touch with RA. She is planning on moving to Costa Rica! I have Hilton Honors points and we are thinking of staying at that same Hilton where you stayed. Was it close to anything?

Many thanks on all of the transportation comments. I will look at Karmel.

Jersey, it seems that the Crowne Park may be the way to go.

Did anyone visit the aquarium in LB? Is it a good one?

Hi Reba:)

Costa Rica, huh? My sister and brother-in-law were looking there but

they moved to Guadlajara instead. Lots of Americans are moving

to those areas. You get more for you $$$ from what I understand.

I will email her and say hello. I know she just returned from sailing

Galaxy.

As to the Hilton, It was not too far from a shopping/restaurant area

called "The Pike" I think. I remember seeing alot of restaurants.

We met a group of friends from these boards for dinner at a really

fun Greek Place called Papadakis (in the other direction I think).

Have a great cruise:)

...did someone say Greek food???? I LOVE Greek food!!!!:D

Hey Reba, I have been sending you emails- no response, did I make the "do not call" list or something...heheheheheh

So you will be sailing again! Glad to hear it!!! I can't help you with LAX, but these fine people seem to have some good insights....

Lois will be leaving for her sailing in Feb and I will be returning from a quickie cruise on the Zenith in January...are you going with your daughter again????

This is like old home week except we've never met! I'm going with a girlfriend on this cruise..RA, I will write you immediately. I am still unpacking! You have become quite the Celebrity girl haven't you...hee hee;)

Lo, thanks for the info. I booked the Hilton with Honors points I didn't even realize I had. So free is good! We have decided to rent a car through Enterprise as they seem to be the only ones with a San Pedro location. The total is about $40, even with the drop-off rate. They only waive that drop-off for Carnival passengers. Hopefully we won't get too lost! How bad can it be after the beltway??

Thanks for all of the good info once again my cruise friends.

• 3 weeks later...

I bid on Priceline for a 3* hotel in 2003 (twice) and each time got the Marina Hotel (was Hilton). FREE parking for the duration of the cruise. Ours was 10 days. FREE shuttle to the port and within a 5 mile radius. Nice hotel and we had two beds in a decent sized room. We paid $45 each time. I think it's going for about $60 now on Priceline. I need to bid again for a cruise in April.

I have also stayed at the Sheraton twice in 2002. Also a nice hotel. I liked it even more so. But it wasn't a Priceline hotel and there was a charge for parking, although half of what the port parking lot is. Also, a free shuttle.

Going out of San Pedro on 1/28. What are some good hotels in the area? What is the best means of transportation from LAX to San Pedro? Any hotels offer shuttle service to the port? Any recommendations on restaurants and things to do in the area?

Thanks!

To: LOIS R.; Since you stayed at Hilton, I was wondering how far it is from the water front and if it is a walkable distance. Also, did Hilton provide a shuttle to SP which is where we are leaving from in Jan. Thanks,

John L.

Hi John:)

Sorry, I am not sure how far the Hilton is from the Waterfront.

I went with friends and 2 of them live in the area. I don't know if

the Hotel offers a shuttle. Our friends drove us to the pier (one of

the hubby's didn't join us for the cruise)but he offered to take

us to the ship anyway:) It was only about a 15 minute ride.

We just returned from our Hawaiian cruise on the Island Princess. We stayed at the Best Western for $81 + tax. I think they will also store your car, but I don't know the rate. It's an adequate hotel for 1 or 2 nites. Shuttle service to the pier is great, continental breakfast is pretty good. There's a restaurant next door for lunch. There are lots of restaurants in the area. There's a Greek and a Brewery restaurant right around the corner and down a couple of blocks. Across the street, in what used to be a nice tourist shopping area there are several restaurants. It isn't the greatest place to walk around at night because there aren't many people around, but I certainly wasn't uneasy or afraid.

You can sign up the day before for the shuttle. It's just a short ride. We got there early, but there's a nice lounge to relax in and embarkation goes very smoothly.

Have a great time.

Lynn

We just returned from our Hawaiian cruise on the Island Princess. We stayed at the Best Western for $81 + tax. I think they will also store your car, but I don't know the rate. It's an adequate hotel for 1 or 2 nites. Shuttle service to the pier is great, continental breakfast is pretty good. There's a restaurant next door for lunch. There are lots of restaurants in the area. There's a Greek and a Brewery restaurant right around the corner and down a couple of blocks. Across the street, in what used to be a nice tourist shopping area there are several restaurants. It isn't the greatest place to walk around at night because there aren't many people around, but I certainly wasn't uneasy or afraid.

You can sign up the day before for the shuttle. It's just a short ride. We got there early, but there's a nice lounge to relax in and embarkation goes very smoothly.

Have a great time.

Good info. Do you know if there is a store to purchase a few nice bottles of wine within walking distance? Also, what were the Port's of Call shops like? Many thanks. Flying out in Jan.

There is a liquor store only about 2 blocks away. The people at the reception desk will tell you how to get there. My husband says to take a right outside the hotel, another right at the corner, go one block and take a left, then one block and take a right. It's right there. In this same area is a Greek restaurant, a Mexican restaurant and a Brewery (where we ate).

There aren't any stores to speak of at the Port of Call. Looks like at one time they might have tried to make a nice shopping area but it didn't work.

But as you walk along that area there are a few restaurants.

Any other questions, just ask.

Lynn

Yes, the Marina Hotel (used to be Hilton) is on the Cabrillo Marina near the waterfront. You can walk around the area near the marina, although we arrived when it was dark and didn't. They provide FREE shuttle to San Pedro cruise port, as well as to the Long Beach terminal near the Queen Mary. Also, they will take you free within a 5 mile radius. We ate dinner over at the Acapulco the evening we arrived. And, last but not least, they provide FREE parking for the duration of your cruise. Our car was there for 10 nights. Some choose to pay more for the Park and Sail package, but since we got it on Priceline and really didn't need the extra "perks" like champagne or breakfast, we just chose to park free and take advantage of the shuttle.

I spoke to someone at the Marina Hotel this morning and asked her about some of the reviews that stated the hotel is looking a bit "tired". She agreed that it hasn't been updated in awhile, BUT they will begin a large refurbishing in January because they will become a Doubletree later in the summer. We plan to stay there in April if I can win a bid on Priceline.

http://www.marinahotelsanpedro.com/?gclid=CKy-4M-m8IECFUhtDgod0SNDCw

To: LOIS R.; Since you stayed at Hilton, I was wondering how far it is from the water front and if it is a walkable distance. Also, did Hilton provide a shuttle to SP which is where we are leaving from in Jan. Thanks,

John L.

The only way you can park your car free at the Best Western Sunrise is if you book their Park and Sail package which costs more than what we want to pay. I book my pre-cruise hotel via Priceline and prefer the lowest rate I can get. That's why I was thrilled in 2003 when we won a bid for the Marina Hotel, a 3* for only $45 which included FREE parking for the duration of our cruise, FREE shuttle to and from the ports (Long Beach, as well), and FREE shuttle within a 5 mile radius--that includes Ports O' Call and the area restaurants. We ate at the Acapulco. I also got the same deal for my daughter's honeymoon the same year.

I hope to win a bid at the Marina Hotel once again for April. I know we'll be paying more than $45 this time...but I hear it's been somewhere in the $55-65 range. You can't beat that for a 3-star hotel with all the FREEBIES! And, it's a nice hotel to boot! :cool: Next year they plan to become a Doubletree, so they'll begin renovations in January I was told today over the phone. She reassured me that parking and the shuttle will still be complimentary.

Have a great time.

Lynn

We are staying at the Marina Hotel/Doubletree in March. The lowest bid that priceline would accept was 78.00 however we will be arriving on a Saturday afternoon. This may be why the bid was so high. I started bidding at 55.00. No luck. Good luck to you. Hopefully the renovations won't be a problem. Nancy

Just won my bid on Priceline for the Marina Hotel at the end of Feb. 2006 for $76.00. Started at $70.00 because I really wanted this hotel, was rejected, and added Long Beach Airport area when I upped price to $76.00. This will also save us the $11.00/day in parking fees at the port, and they provide free shuttle service (less hassle than driving and parking since it's just me and DD this time!). One less thing on my to-do list!!!

Thx all for the ideas on hotels in the area!

Archived