Which scooter to purchase

I would suggest Fold and Go wheelchairs. I just got mine and love it. It fills to the size of a large suitcase. They are American made and weatherproof. I researched the folding electric wheelchair market and Fold and Go is made by and sold by people with disabilities who understand your problems.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...
How much weight can it hold?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Forums mobile app

Fold and Go regular chairs chairs hold up to 265 lbs and the Heavy Duty is 365 lbs I believe. I've had mine for about 6 months and love it. It folds up to the size of a large suitcase, weights between 46-56 lbs depending on model, fits nicely in my car. It's not the speediest, about 3-4 mph but that is average walking speed. It has gone up tables and inclined that I've encountered with no power problems. It has worked on on dry grass and packed gravel but not as good in loose gravel. I have the heavy duty with width extended and it fits through all the doors I've encountered. I'm be taking it on my Panama Canal cruise this winter. I imagine folks have very good reasons for liking their scooter but this one is American made and water proof which was very important to me. If you should choose Fold and Go, contact me back so I can give you my name. I can get a referral bonus but that is not my basis for giving this electric folding wheelchair a good review.. Bill

Bill T

• 2 weeks later...
Fold and Go regular chairs chairs hold up to 265 lbs and the Heavy Duty is 365 lbs I believe. I've had mine for about 6 months and love it. It folds up to the size of a large suitcase, weights between 46-56 lbs depending on model, fits nicely in my car. It's not the speediest, about 3-4 mph but that is average walking speed. It has gone up tables and inclined that I've encountered with no power problems. It has worked on on dry grass and packed gravel but not as good in loose gravel. I have the heavy duty with width extended and it fits through all the doors I've encountered. I'm be taking it on my Panama Canal cruise this winter. I imagine folks have very good reasons for liking their scooter but this one is American made and water proof which was very important to me. If you should choose Fold and Go, contact me back so I can give you my name. I can get a referral bonus but that is not my basis for giving this electric folding wheelchair a good review.. Bill

Bill T

Thanks Bill. I have been looking at mobility options for Dh who cannot walk distances any longer after a catastrophic MVA last year. Your post is great and I have been checking out the site. We were avid cruisers and will need a mobility device to resume our life style. Thanks!

If price is a consideration, I would look at the Shoprider Hero. It sells on the internet for under $600.00, has a very tight turning radius, and is only 20" wide. We've loved ours!!!

I have the Shoprider Hero, Echo 3 model and LOVE IT!!!!! Purchased via Walgreens, on line with free delivery. :D

I purchased a Golden Buzzaround XLS-HD 3 Wheel Mobility Scooter, with a weight limit of 265lbs. I just returned from a cruise and flew down on jetblue was able to wheel right to the door of the plane, they placed it in the hold and had it at the plane door on arrival. On the ship I was able to get around almost all areas and had a standard cabin. It was a little tight getting in the door but fit. It's rated for 14 miles on a charge for carrying 200lbs weight between charges.

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the second scooter for the wife. We love the current one. IGO. Check it out

on the internet. Folds to about 18X18 inches. Can have 2 batteries. Seat and handlebars are adjustable. It is not water resistant, but we have put a plastic bag over the controls and it has worked fine. Our first flight with it will be in 2020. Bob

Now I much prefer a power wheelchair to a scooter.

But make sure it has the power to carry your size.

Try a few for seat comfort, width, depth, back height, padding, all contribute.

Leg length.

Then speed, range, angle of both climb and camber.

I’d not even consider one without armrests.

Look at charging, can you easily plug it in while seated. Can you get a spare battery than can easily be swapped in and out.

Most of all make sure to take it for a test drive.

• 4 months later...
On 9/3/2018 at 2:07 PM, Billteg said:

Check out foldandgowheelchairs.com

Bill T

hi bill! how did you make out on your cruise w/the scooter? i used a go go and it wasnt very good on wet grass. do like your scooter but goin only 3-4 mph would drive me crazy.

On 9/4/2018 at 12:52 AM, KruiserKat said:

If price is a consideration, I would look at the Shoprider Hero. It sells on the internet for under $600.00, has a very tight turning radius, and is only 20" wide. We've loved ours!!!

does this completely fold or do you have to take the seat off. what is the speed

On 9/5/2018 at 5:38 PM, Pie said:

I ordered a smartscoot - it should get here tomorrow. I really wanted a glion snapngo, but couldn't get it here before my cruise. Hopefully I will love the smartscoot

i looked at glion snap n go. seat is separate as is the battery. dont have that many hands 

On 2/2/2019 at 12:17 PM, 1threadshort said:

does this completely fold or do you have to take the seat off. what is the speed

Just the back part of the seat folds down and the steering part ( you can loosen the side to bring it down to fit into a car and such) Other than that, it's just one big piece. 

Just a quick report on my Fold and Go electric wheelchair, heavy duty up to 365 lbs and weights 57 lbs.  I just finished an 18 day Panama Canal cruise then visited friends in Kansas city and New Orleans for another 3 weeks.  Got around great, no issues.  Held its charge well but I don't let it go much before half before I recharge it.  Hauled my bulky body asking with clips that held 3 bags plus tossed my large suitcase around (I use the Hero Clips.. They work great books to the back of the chair then put bags /suitcase handle on the hooks).  Everyone was impressed with how the chair folds up and rolls like a suitcase, especially airline personnel. 

• 4 weeks later...

I recently joined this website and I am hopeful that people can help me.  I have an upcoming cruise and I thought about getting a light weight mobility scooter to help me get around.  So far most of the posts I see are fairly old and I wanted to get an updated opinion of some of the new mobility scooters I see on the market.  I have looked at Travelscoot but I quickly rejected this as a option because I found it very difficult (almost impossible for me) to collapse. I also looked at Smartscoot which looks better but has a strange battery mounting system and does not seem to have the weight capacity I need.  

The new one I saw that interest me is HandyScoot.  I haven't had the opportunity to personally see or use this mobility scooter yet but looking at the scooter on the website (Handyscoot.com) it seems to have more storage space, a little faster than other scooters, a nifty system to collapse and lift it and most of all has a higher weight capacity.  

My question to the forum does anyone have an opinion or comments about the Handyscoot mobility scooter?