Scooter alternatives for Aruba and Bonaire

Gma&Gpa

We will be going to Aruba and Bonaire. My hubby uses a scooter on board, as walking is very difficult (and painful) on the ship or for anything more than a few feet. The scooter is great on the ship - but when we get to Aruba and Bonaire - we will likely want to take a taxi or some type of excursion - possibly to a beach or even as a "tour" of the island. I'm guessing that getting those scooters into taxis or shuttles or busses is not going to be possible. Does any one know if there is any way to accomplish this? We can take our smaller, fold up wheelchair normally, but I recently broke my wrist very badly - and am not allowed to push any type of wheelchair. I know the cruises lines don't provide this to get you off down the dock and off - but what about the locals? Any suggestions would be much appreciated

The are no wheelchair accessible taxis or shuttles/buses with a lift in either Aruba and Bonaire. If the scooter is a full size model or bariatric model than you'll have to try to locate a private tour operator. If it's portable travel scooter such as any one of the models in the Pride GoGo Series, it can be broken down to fit into a trunk or back of a van. No wheelchair service is provided by locals that I remember.

Thank you.... I will look into the private tours. We have plenty of time - but just slowly looking at our options. We have been to Aruba before - and have taken tours (prior to need of a scooter). So - we may just tour around the town area. He can walk a little - but sometimes just getting from the ship, to the pier - to a taxi, without a wheelchair or scooter, can be very difficult for him.

Thank you

In Aruba, there are a couple wheelchair accessible vehicles that have space for two wheelchairs and two seated passengers... but they are pricy. This place can provide transportation: aruba@arubadisabledservice.com I lost the other address.

There is a bus that is accessible and can accommodate 20 people. Info@chogogoaruba.com

Oranjestad is accessible and it is a nice trip to Wilhelmina Park, approximately½ mile from the cruise dock. Archaeological Museum and Fort ZoutmanHistorical Museum could also be included in the same trip.

Bonaire: The Donkey Sanctuary told me they have taxis that could transport us. I think maybe they were referring to taxis where the scooters could be put into the trunk or a van. I do not think they are vehicles with a ramp or lift. I never found a source specifically for wheel chair transportation.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

One possibility to consider is a folding scooter. You would probably have to buy one but then your husband could use it at home as well. You might need to install a lift on your car - I'm sure you wouldn't be able or allowed to lift even a 50-lb scooter and your husband might not be able to either. But a cab or shuttle driver who is used to lifting heavy bags in and out shouldn't have any problem with a lightweight folding scooter. (Light weight doesn't mean just for lightweights, either - my 53-lb Triaxe Sport has a weight capacity of 350 lb. and if you don't need that much, there are folding scooters that fold and unfold themselves and some that weigh even less than mine.)

Note: many mobility aids sellers offer "travel" or "portable" scooters - these are normally quite heavy but able to be disassembled into smaller pieces for travel. I ruled them out because (a) the videos of breaking down the scooter did NOT look like something a person with limited ability to stand could manage and (b) the heaviest of the pieces was always more than the total weight of the scooter I eventually bought. (One proudly proclaimed that when broken down, the heaviest piece was "only" 97 lb!) I can set up and fold up my own scooter, even with my severely limited ability to stand - takes about 30-45 seconds and part of it I can do sitting on the scooter seat. Folded, it would fit into any trunk.

Obviously no solution is perfect for everyone but it won't cost you anything to look into this one. :D

• 1 year later...

Bonaire Cruisers golf cart rentals on Bonaire is a great option.

They pick you up if necessary at their booth in front of the ship.

And bring you to their location 2 blocks further.

You can take a foldable wheelchair on the golf cart.

Or leave the scooter at their location.

It’s a great way to see the island on your own pace.

And so easy to navigate around. They provide and explain the map.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums