Iona; the beginning of the end for club dining?

Denarius

Bit of a first world problem to be stressed about where to eat! We choose where and when according to how the day has gone and what we plan for the evening

When my husband was alive it always ended with one of us hungry and the other not. One of ready for dinner the other not. Much easier when the timing was decided for us.

For most of the world deciding whether or not to eat is a luxury. Never mind when or where.

I wonder what they will do for singles on Iona. Perhaps they will have hosted tables for singles like I believe Silverseas does.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe they will pick up on one of the few good things (imho) that Marella/ex Thomson Cruises do - that is set aside a large table for solo diners every evening.

Maybe they will pick up on one of the few good things (imho) that Marella/ex Thomson Cruises do - that is set aside a large table for solo diners every evening.

Does that mean the first there has to wait for a full table? Or is everybody ar different stages of the meal. You are still sitting with strangers and have to go through first night cruising questions every night. Still got the worst aspects of freedom dining.

It feels to me that if there are people who want to stay with the club dining concept it shouldn’t be too difficult for P&O to facilitate something very similar (same table, same people, same time) albeit within a freedom dining room and its associated comings and goings. Perhaps they could allocate an area?

If the company (or perhaps the ship, once you get onboard) won’t, then passengers could surely use social media to make contact and make their own dining groups?

We’ve done both styles - each has their benefits and drawbacks

We have enjoyed both club and freedom but generally now prefer freedom.

Offering only one style of dining takes away some of the value of a select fare as everyone gets the same regardless. If the cruise has no shuttles then the only thing left is cabin choice and on these large ships with lots of grades to choose from a saver is probably fine if you pick the correct grade.

I also suspect on the newer ships with lots of alternative pay for dining there will be less pressure on the Mdr. Most nights a percentage of pax will be booked into a select restaurant so don’t need a freedom seat.

I predict that formal night cocktails will go as they will be much more difficult to facilitate with 100% freedom dining. Who knows though.

Does that mean the first there has to wait for a full table? Or is everybody ar different stages of the meal. You are still sitting with strangers and have to go through first night cruising questions every night. Still got the worst aspects of freedom dining.

We have always had a table for 8 and I have never had those first night cruising questions? You just make conversation. It's easy.

We have always had a table for 8 and I have never had those first night cruising questions? You just make conversation. It's easy.

You are the only person to have said this.

Everybody else who has replied has had my experience.

My wife and I have had to suffer more disappointments when seated with other guests as Freedom Diners than we've ever experienced in the Club Dining situations!

I'm sure this works both ways though as you should see their faces when we rock up with our young grandchildren :)

Edited by devonuk
error

You are the only person to have said this.

Everybody else who has replied has had my experience.

I think the only cruise question ever asked is the first night when somebody will say "have we been on Oriana before?" We answer yes and some it's their first time and after that we talk about other things. I definitey have not had the boring chat that others talk about. We have had really super tables. The only time we had a problem was a decade ago on a very small ship on a table for 4. The guy was a total cretin and was rude. Luckily we had met another couple on a table for 4 where they were the only 2, so we swapped.

As the previous person said, I am with my husband all day, so it's nice to be with other people at least for dinner. If you share on Freedom dining, then you have the first night conversation every night. Couldn't be doing with that.

I have never had the "first night conversation every night" when on Freedom/Anytime dining on P&O/Princess about how many cruises have you done. The only thing ever asked every time especially on Princess cruises when there are many nationalities is where you "guys from" and then just moved onto pleasant conversation.

We are not retired but prefer club dining, late sitting.

I like to get to know our waiters and fellow diners over the course of the cruise.

I like the rapport you build with your waiters and as they get to know you, the extra little touches they add to your experience.

But if freedom dining was all that is available, we would happily go with that.

Think it would be a shame though...

I agree with you. Although I do not relish the thought of sitting down each night to with a different set of dining companions.

I have only done the one cruise with them so can only speak of how it worked for that week. There was a Social Hostess who arranged a coffee meet in the Coffee Shop the first night and a drinks meet in a Bar the second night. I think this might vary on different cruises.

From then on, a group of us met for a pre-dinner drink at the same time every night and then went in to dinner together.

My hearing isn't what it used to be and my wife's English isn't that great so we always go with freedom and request a table for 2 and are happy to wait. I would otherwise spend most of the evening asking people to repeat themselves or just nodding in agreement to whatever was said. We tend to eat between 6.30 - 7.30 on board so we hardly ever have to wait, and when we do have to wait, we take the pager to a nearbey venue and enjoy a nice pre dinner drink.

I personally hate the idea of having to be at my table at a certain time. I'm on Holiday after all.

Unlike some posters we don't go on a cruise to meet people or make new friends (although it has been known to happen).

We've only ever done Club Dining once and although the people on our table were great it's not something we really like.

I'm quite happy to be on a ship of 4000 People and yet be "alone" with my loverly wife the entire time.

I think the only cruise question ever asked is the first night when somebody will say "have we been on Oriana before?" We answer yes and some it's their first time and after that we talk about other things. I definitey have not had the boring chat that others talk about. We have had really super tables. The only time we had a problem was a decade ago on a very small ship on a table for 4. The guy was a total cretin and was rude. Luckily we had met another couple on a table for 4 where they were the only 2, so we swapped.

As the previous person said, I am with my husband all day, so it's nice to be with other people at least for dinner. If you share on Freedom dining, then you have the first night conversation every night. Couldn't be doing with that.

I'm confused. In a previous post you said you'd never had that conversation?

I have only done the one cruise with them so can only speak of how it worked for that week. There was a Social Hostess who arranged a coffee meet in the Coffee Shop the first night and a drinks meet in a Bar the second night. I think this might vary on different cruises.

From then on, a group of us met for a pre-dinner drink at the same time every night and then went in to dinner together.

Sounds a very civilised and pleasant way to do it. Thank you. I often travel as a single but with a group of friends.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sounds a very civilised and pleasant way to do it. Thank you. I often travel as a single but with a group of friends.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it was indeed. Sadly, the overall Marella product really didn't impress me so I doubt I will be enjoying the same social arrangements again!

Since my partner died in 2012, I have cruised both solo and sharing with two different friends. It is nice going with friends but I also enjoy sailing solo, being able to shut my own cabin door at night and doing exactly what I want & when! I just wish sailing solo was a bit less expensive!!!