Anyone married but cruises solo?

welove2cruise2014

My husband and I have always enjoyed traveling together (and now as a family with our daughter)... and also enjoy traveling alone! We met and married "later in life" so were both very independent and had each traveled fairly extensively on our own prior to meeting.

It seems that most solo cruisers look to meet and befriend others for dinners etc. I am considering cruising alone and was curious of the experience of anyone who cruises to enjoy the relaxation and solitude - and who also enjoys dining alone and spending time alone.

Anyone in the same boat? Or am I just weird?!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

There are quite a number of "married" folks who cruise solo...either because they want to, or because their "other" can't go...

Personally, I'd rather have someone with me....not a fan of vacationing alone....it's fun to share the fun! I have no problem being alone....I can "self-entertain", but going and doing stuff....nice to have someone to share with!

Have you checked over on the Solo Cruiser forum? I think you will find a lot are quite happy getting some 'me time' - not looking for socializing. Even when I was married, we took trips without the other.

It happens that I have an upcoming cruise with a number of other solo travelers on the M & G roll call, but not all are 'solo' in their normal day to day life. Some are extroverts, some are not.

The nice thing is that you can choose to eat alone or offer to share dining space. Some ships work for this better than others it seems. I am not sure whether 'most' solo cruisers like to dine with others, but I feel I can say 'most' solo 'travellers' do not. Off ship, it is a harder struggle to find someone to dine with or hang out with. It has never been a priority for me.

Some struggle with the dining alone once they have been widowed, because it is a totally new experience for them and they feel very self conscious about it. You are ahead of the game if you embrace it. Go for it.

Head over to the Solo Cruiser (not single cruiser) forum and I hope some of the posts there show that you can easily blend in as a wanter of just 'me time'. I suggest to choose a cruise line with no set dining time, however. That would make it easier.

Have you checked over on the Solo Cruiser forum? I think you will find a lot are quite happy getting some 'me time' - not looking for socializing. Even when I was married, we took trips without the other.

It happens that I have an upcoming cruise with a number of other solo travelers on the M & G roll call, but not all are 'solo' in their normal day to day life. Some are extroverts, some are not.

The nice thing is that you can choose to eat alone or offer to share dining space. Some ships work for this better than others it seems. I am not sure whether 'most' solo cruisers like to dine with others, but I feel I can say 'most' solo 'travellers' do not. Off ship, it is a harder struggle to find someone to dine with or hang out with. It has never been a priority for me.

Some struggle with the dining alone once they have been widowed, because it is a totally new experience for them and they feel very self conscious about it. You are ahead of the game if you embrace it. Go for it.

Head over to the Solo Cruiser (not single cruiser) forum and I hope some of the posts there show that you can easily blend in as a wanter of just 'me time'. I suggest to choose a cruise line with no set dining time, however. That would make it easier.

I'll check it out - thanks! It's definitely something that appeals to me. Even in my "daily life" whenever I get the chance I enjoy alone time. NCL is where I've cruised and where I'll look. I wouldn't be averse to dining/hanging with new friends but that certainly wouldn't be my goal on such a trip.

I have traveled solo extensively on business and occasionally for pleasure when my wife had other obligations. I cruised sole on a week-long Caribbean itinerary a few years ago after wrapping up a large contract and wouldn't do it again.

Cruising by its nature is "herd" travel which appeals to individuals who are more social and perhaps less independent. As a solo male traveler I was regarded with suspicion or repeatedly invited by well-meaning people to "join our group."

In the same circumstances I prefer an all-inclusive resort to a cruise ship. Less herd mentality and it's easier to get away from the crowd.

I have traveled solo extensively on business and occasionally for pleasure when my wife had other obligations. I cruised sole on a week-long Caribbean itinerary a few years ago after wrapping up a large contract and wouldn't do it again.

Cruising by its nature is "herd" travel which appeals to individuals who are more social and perhaps less independent. As a solo male traveler I was regarded with suspicion or repeatedly invited by well-meaning people to "join our group."

In the same circumstances I prefer an all-inclusive resort to a cruise ship. Less herd mentality and it's easier to get away from the crowd.

Conversely while traveling to Puerto Rico alone about 10 years ago (by choice) I was met with a lot of pitiful looks and also some "oh wow how brave you are!" I wouldn't call it brave so much as just preferring solitude sometimes, while still being adventurous!

Yep I understand cruising is a different mentality than a land resort. But I still think I would enjoy it.

I am married and cruise solo; my DH doesn't like cruising as much as I do. I agree that cruisers tend to be more "social", and that's a great thing for me! I can strike up a conversation with people, share tables if I like or don't share if I'd prefer alone time. I join other people's trivia teams. I've made life-long friends on some solo cruises, and stayed to myself on others.

I'm taking my 6th solo soon.

My husband and I have always enjoyed traveling together (and now as a family with our daughter)... and also enjoy traveling alone! We met and married "later in life" so were both very independent and had each traveled fairly extensively on our own prior to meeting.

It seems that most solo cruisers look to meet and befriend others for dinners etc. I am considering cruising alone and was curious of the experience of anyone who cruises to enjoy the relaxation and solitude - and who also enjoys dining alone and spending time alone.

I cruise solo once or twice a year. My wife does not like large ships so I go alone just to get away from work. Every 18 months or so we cruise together on one of the luxury lines. I love having my time.

Ha-Ha-Ha! IF, and I say IF I even mentioned I was taking ANY cruise, WITHOUT my wife, I'd come home and find ALL my clothes in the front yard (probably on fire). I remember once we were returning from 7 day trip to Las Vegas and I still had ten days of vacation left and I (jokingly of course, but with a straight face) mentioned that I was 'thinking' of going to London (we had gone there ten years earlier on our honeymoon) for seven days. I was watching for her reaction, out of my right eye;p. She fixed me with a serious frown and said in a low, threating voice, 'You are NOT going back to London WITHOUT me..':eek: That, would be her same reaction IF I even thought about ANY cruise without her. I know there are people here whose SO hates the mention of cruising, but my wife sure isn't one of them !

Mac

I would consider cruising solo. My sweet hubby does not enjoy cruises. Right now I cruise with my sisters but I can envision the day when they might not be as flexible as me.