MSC Armonia - Nitty Gritty Questions

FGJones

I'm sailing on the MSC Armonia next year, my first cruise and I have a few newbie questions that may be specific to this ship or line. I am a resident of the US and embarking from Miami, Florida, USA for eight days.

1. Is the “premium mineral water” that is included with the Non-Alcoholic All-Inclusive drink package bottled or is it something served in a glass?

2. Is it the only bottled water available on the ship?

3. Can you carry bottled water from your drink plan off the ship for consumption on shore excursions?

4. Can you get several bottles of water at a time when on a drink plan?

5. Is food from II Griasole (pizzeria, pasta and grill station) included or an extra cost?

6. Does the buffet (La Brasserie) have a large selection of desserts in the evenings?

7. For Cuba, do I need to figure out the visa myself beforehand or is that something handled with the cruise line? We will be on MSC arranged excursions while in Cuba.

8. Is there any type of convenience store on the ship to pick up a forgotten phone charger, bonine, or other incidentals that I may forget?

9. For the theme nights (white party, 60s Night, etc.) do those take place in the dining room or someplace else in the ship? If we are not participating can/should we eat in the dining room those nights? We WILL dress for Gala nights.

1. Yes bottled water. All the water from taps on the ship is drinking water. Filtered water in the buffet is also available.

2. Sorry I can't remember

3. Yes you can take bottled water off of the ship

4. Depends on the server. Just ask they will let you know. There is nothing stopping you just walking to the next bar and getting water there.

6. Depends on what you consider a large selection!

8. There is a shop on board. Very expensive. It would be cheaper and pick up whatever you have forgotten when on shore.

9. You do not have to participate or dress up for any theme night and you can still eat in main dining room. Anything like a white hot party will be held on deck. You can go as well you won't be turned away because you are not wearing white etc.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Forums mobile app

I'll try and answer some of your questions.

1) It's bottled water.

2) You have a choice of still or sparkling.

3) Yes - you can choose small or large bottles (most choose small for convenience).

4) Yes.

5) It's included.

6) It's a small ship so there won't be as many selections as on the larger vessels, but there will be a reasonably good selection, nonetheless. (We were on Sinfonia and were very happy with the selection).

7) There is a lot of discussion on this topic on the Ports of Call forum. If your excursions are booked with MSC, they are more than likely to be "People to People" which don't entail getting a separate visa. However, I recommend you read the other forum on Cuba as (it seems) the US state department has requirements for US citizens of which I'm not au fait with.

8) I doubt very much that they sell phone chargers onboard, but there is a small store which stocks a limited amount of toiletries and medications.

9) The theme night parties are usually held at the pool (weather permitting) or in one of the lounges and don't impact on the dining room, so, no problem at all eating there if you don't dress for the 'theme'.

Hope that helps. :)

7. For Cuba, do I need to figure out the visa myself beforehand or is that something handled with the cruise line? We will be on MSC arranged excursions while in Cuba.

We've booked a similar sailing for March of 2020 and, so far, aren't overly impressed with number or quality of the MSC cuba excursions (there are 5 offered on Day 1 and only 3 offered on Day 2). As someone who's sailing is closer and who has booked MSC excursions, will more become available closer to sailing, or should we just plan on booking something private (which we may do anyway).

We've booked a similar sailing for March of 2020 and, so far, aren't overly impressed with number or quality of the MSC cuba excursions (there are 5 offered on Day 1 and only 3 offered on Day 2). As someone who's sailing is closer and who has booked MSC excursions, will more become available closer to sailing, or should we just plan on booking something private (which we may do anyway).

I'm seeing the same five/three Cuba excursions as you are but I'm still over 200 days out. The MSC Website says you will not be allowed off the boat in Cuba if you don't book with them. Please let me know if you find a loop hole. I still need to check out the Port of Call forum suggested above.

I'm seeing the same five/three Cuba excursions as you are but I'm still over 200 days out. The MSC Website says you will not be allowed off the boat in Cuba if you don't book with them. Please let me know if you find a loop hole. I still need to check out the Port of Call forum suggested above.

That seems to be a con to get you to buy their excursions (although we’ll get more info once the US-based sailings start in December). The FAQs indicate you can take 3d party excursions and the sample Certificate of Authorized travel also has 3d party excursions as being acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we were in Havana with MSC last June they offered about 20 (!) Excursions.

Note that "something private" is not existing in Cuba, if it is not the Government tourism company it is illegal. At our 50 minutes vintage car tour we were checked by police two times.

Captain scala just announced on insta that he will be armonia’s new captain .

I got this ad too. Western Caribbean, sailing on a Monday from Miami with an overnight in Havana and 2 excursions included. Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel are the other ports.

Edited by ssmea03
Spelling

Captain scala just announced on insta that he will be armonia’s new captain from December [emoji1303]

Thanks, Martin! Dave (Sidari) had posted that he'd heard this - I'm delighted you've confirmed it. We're booked on Armonia next January; looking forward to sailing with him (Captain Scala, I mean - not Dave :rolleyes:). :D :cool:

Any Daily Planners yet from Armonia? I am curious what kinds of activities they might have during the sea days. Is there any venue in which they play movies?

If you're referring to the Cuba sailing from Miami, you'll have to wait 'til she starts doing that route in December for the DPs.

It's unlikely that there will be a venue for movies on such a small ship. Also, MSC, as a rule, doesn't show movies due to the international mix of passengers with many different languages onboard.

If you're referring to the Cuba sailing from Miami, you'll have to wait 'til she starts doing that route in December for the DPs.

It's unlikely that there will be a venue for movies on such a small ship. Also, MSC, as a rule, doesn't show movies due to the international mix of passengers with many different languages onboard.

They had movies every day on Divina in 2017. Albeit, they had a big screen over the pool. Armonia appears to have a Conference Center which looks like it would be great for a matinee movie

They had movies every day on Divina in 2017. Albeit, they had a big screen over the pool. Armonia appears to have a Conference Center which looks like it would be great for a matinee movie

Yes ... MSC does show movies on the bigger ships when US based. I believe this is because there are a greater number of English speakers onboard due to the increased number of US bookings.

I agree that the Conference Centre would make a great little cinema venue. I very much doubt that MSC would consider it, though. :(

I’m new to cruising (my first is the MSC Armonia 8 day to Cuba in May 2019) so I’m still learning the terminology. Are the Daily Planners more detailed information about each day on the ship, such as which nights are gala nights, etc? And what you’re saying is that the Armonia first sails this route (Miami, Jamaica, Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Havana, Maimi) in December 2018. Will those details likely remain the same for each sailing of this ship on this route afterwards? Therefore allowing me to bombard the December guests with my questions once they are done? That would be amazing.

I’m new to cruising (my first is the MSC Armonia 8 day to Cuba in May 2019) so I’m still learning the terminology. Are the Daily Planners more detailed information about each day on the ship, such as which nights are gala nights, etc? And what you’re saying is that the Armonia first sails this route (Miami, Jamaica, Grand Caymen, Cozumel, Havana, Maimi) in December 2018. Will those details likely remain the same for each sailing of this ship on this route afterwards? Therefore allowing me to bombard the December guests with my questions once they are done? That would be amazing.

Yes, the Daily Planners indicate the times for everything happening onboard. If you have a look towards the end of my report about the Poesia, I've posted photos of the planners on that cruise. Scroll down the page on the following link to view the photos:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2679050&page=2

The details will be more or less the same for the Armonia itinerary from week to week (I'm not referring to the planners from Poesia, just to be clear. Each itinerary will have different timings for events). We'll be onboard on Jan 21. I may post some info from that sailing, including the Daily Planners, so you'll have a good idea what to expect each day.

Thanks Bea, I enjoyed reading those DPs. I would definitely like to see them from the Armonia 8 day including Cuba in January if you’re able. I like to be well organized and prepared and cruises are still out of my comfort zone.

From past experience, if departure is at 7pm and we’re required to board by 5 pm, about when do you expect that we’ll be able to begin boarding?

I don't know yet what time boarding will begin. I'll have more of an idea when I see what time she docks in Miami at. You can go to the terminal earlier than your advised boarding time. The earlier you get there, the lower the number you'll receive and the earlier your number will be called.

I only need a request from one person to write a report, so I'll do one (and include the Daily Planners, plus menus and photos of food offerings) in the hope that you get something from it. Nearer our sailing date in January, if you have any specific questions, just post them on the forum and I'll do my best to get answers for you.

• Like 1

Will MSC provide extra pillows upon request? Is there a way to submit that request in advance? I just saw a photo of my class of state room (Oceanview Fantastica) on the Armonia and those two sad pillows will not do.

There are more pillows in the cupboard. If not, the room steward will bring immediately as much as you want. "In advance" I highly doubt, this is not MSC culture.

I've never seen extra pillows in the cupboard on MSC ships, P, but, you're right, you can request extra pillows from the steward. My father has to sleep on at least 4 (or even more) as he has to sleep almost sitting up due to a medical problem he has; he never had any problems getting as many as he needed.

That is a relief, I will typically choose a hotel room with two queens over one king because it double the pillows and blankets in my room with out having to hunt more down, but I'm definitely willing to ask if I need to.

How many rooms does each steward maintain, or is that not how it works?

Also, does Armonia not have YC?

Also, does Armonia not have YC?

No ... only Fantasia-class ships (Fantasia, Splendida, Divina & Preziosa) and the newer ships: Meraviglia, Seaside & Seaview as well as the currently being built Bellissima and Grandiosa.

The cabin stewards have to look after up to 20 cabins now, IINM.