Aft cabin pros cons on seaside

Pier290

I haven’t cruised with MSC but there are common issues with Aft cabins. There is more movement. If you suffer badly with motion sickness, the ideal spot is lower down and in the centre of the ship. That said, I suffer from motion sickness, we had an Aft cabin on a Caribbean cruise and I loved it. We have an Antarctica cruise in January, where there are often notoriously rough seas. I wouldn’t go Aft then :eek: Back to the Caribbean, our Aft cabin was on deck 7 and I was fine. The view, and the sound of the wake is beautiful and so relaxing after dark. There is no engine noise Aft (we were once in a cabin at the front of the ship and there was significant engine noise, especially when arriving and leaving port). Some people’s posts that I read before our Aft cabin cruise complained of soot on their balconies (presumably from the funnels). That worried me a bit. However, out of a 14 night cruise, we found only a few specks of soot on 2 occasions. As many of us will have noticed, some people have a very low tolerance level for the smallest things, and I’m guessing that might be the problem on that issue, but it’s possible we were unusually lucky.

I’d say, go for it and enjoy :)

Just stayed in one on Seaview 12th floor

Best cabin - lots of space and great views especially for entering and leaving ports.

Yes lots of vibrations and noise from the thrusters but friends who stayed near the front reported the same so maybe it's a ship-wide phenomenon?

Lots of movement side to side while sailing - liken to being on a train not just the regular up/down ocean motion.

We stayed in 15236 Seaside in May 26th and loved it!

Pros : Large room with lots of windows. Large bathroom with big shower. A good amount of storage. HUGE balcony with sweeping views! Being beside the panoramic elevator was a great perk. Took seconds to get up to the pool deck right above and running down to get coffee in the morning on deck 8 at the buffet was fast! We brought our yeti's with us and would head back to the room to wake up before heading back down for breakfast. However to get to the front of the ship was a little hike but got use to it and found the fastest route.

Cons : When the sofa bed was pulled out ( we have an 8 and 10 yr old in tow) it was super difficult to get out on the balcony. They really should and could have put bunk beds in, would of been so much better. The other thing that bugged me was being below the bridge of sigh the part of the balcony facing the rear of the ship was always gross and dirty from crew washing the deck above. That being said the large part of the balcony you walk out to from the sliding glass doors always seemed clean. That's were we our chairs stayed as it was the private part of the balcony. And those sweeping views out weighs the dirty part of the balcony. Plus no window washer obstruction.

As far as movement, yes there was quite a bit first half of our trip. I thought it was because we were running from a tropical storm that hit Miami the day before we embarked. It all of the sudden got very calm and no movement hardly at all.

Would stay in 15236 if no other reason for size, views and location!

Edited by cparker01
Forgot a word

Pros : Large room with lots of windows. Large bathroom with big shower. A good amount of storage. HUGE balcony with sweeping views! Being beside the panoramic elevator was a great perk. Took seconds to get up to the pool deck right above and running down to get coffee in the morning on deck 8 at the buffet was fast! We brought our yeti's with us and would head back to the room to wake up before heading back down for breakfast. However to get to the front of the ship was a little hike but got use to it and found the fastest route.

Cons : When the sofa bed was pulled out ( we have an 8 and 10 yr old in tow) it was super difficult to get out on the balcony. They really should and could have put bunk beds in, would of been so much better. The other thing that bugged me was being below the bridge of sigh the part of the balcony facing the rear of the ship was always gross and dirty from crew washing the deck above. That being said the large part of the balcony you walk out to from the sliding glass doors always seemed clean. That's were we our chairs stayed as it was the private part of the balcony. And those sweeping views out weighs the dirty part of the balcony. Plus no window washer obstruction.

As far as movement, yes there was quite a bit first half of our trip. I thought it was because we were running from a tropical storm that hit Miami the day before we embarked. It all of the sudden got very calm and no movement hardly at all.

Oh goodness!! Thank u so much for this. It really helped us out!! Looking forward to this cabin !!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

How was the rest of your cruise ? Ship/food/service/pools/entertainment? We sail Nov 3rd with our 8 and 12 yr olds [emoji16][emoji41]

Ship was beautiful! I thought it was easy to navigate. Used the app a lot, although it took me a while to figure it out. Loved the wrist band that come with the experience. Booked shows immediately upon boarding. Boarding was so fast easy and never felt like I was corralled to the buffet among the masses like other ships we've been on. My kids never wanted to go to the kids center and I didn't push, I use to make them go periodically just to give us a little adult time at the spa. Guess that why I never went to the spa on seaside. Gave my husband my massage, I do wish I'd of checked out the thermal spa, oh well.

Pools were abundant! Loved the concept of retractable roof as it was pouring rain the day we arrived. Pools are deep as others state. We pack pool noodles and kids used them off and on. Kids loved the slides but never did the zip line, mostly closed for the winds. Like I said we were feeling the winds and rough water from the tropical storm that was hitting south Florida. Lucky only rained on day we left, sunny sky's from day1. Gelato was at all the bars near the pool area and sooo good. As far as food we never stepped into the main dinning room. Ate the buffet all meals. Boring near the end but it was all about the ease of eating with kids. The food was good. No complaints. Pizza was VERY good the kind I prefer and consistent. Omlets to order was my go to every morning. If you are a coffee drinker bring your own insulated cups, super handy. However we never needed our water bottle just go to the bar at night, or day, and they give you 1 liter bottles to take to your room as many as you want! Shows were good especially the Michael Jackson one. However by the 3rd show in you could tell the were all alike using the same people. Still worth going to, they are all around 30 mns. We also enjoyed the lounge on deck 7 at night some fun events go one each night and pretty much family friendly.

My only regret was booking a tour of the city in Peurto Rico. Terrible and so boring never saw anything except drugstores and dirty neighborhoods. I don't know if you will be stopping there or not but what I wish we had done was walk 10 mns to the old fort and hit old San Juan right beside it. Kids loved the fort, highlight of our trip. Didn't need to pay 200$ for a bus ride around the city that dropped us of at the fort when it was over. Sorry for that rant I was really mad at my choice! Live and learn! Last suggestion is go ahead and leave your bags outside your room we thought it would of been faster to walk off with our luggage, wrong. We watch all the people leave the boat to go get there luggage as the crew in the terminal made us get on an elevator vs escalator, long painful line. Also we made a mistake going to the airport by getting sucked by MSC to get on one of their shuttle buses. We sat there for over 30 mns while they slowly waited for others to pay and load up the bus. Should of taken a cab that left immediately for similar price.

All in all we had a great time!!! Already booked a cruise on the Msc Bellissima leaving out of Genoa, Italy, for may 2019... yay!

Ship was beautiful! I thought it was easy to navigate. Used the app a lot, although it took me a while to figure it out. Loved the wrist band that come with the experience. Booked shows immediately upon boarding. Boarding was so fast easy and never felt like I was corralled to the buffet among the masses like other ships we've been on. My kids never wanted to go to the kids center and I didn't push, I use to make them go periodically just to give us a little adult time at the spa. Guess that why I never went to the spa on seaside. Gave my husband my massage, I do wish I'd of checked out the thermal spa, oh well.

Pools were abundant! Loved the concept of retractable roof as it was pouring rain the day we arrived. Pools are deep as others state. We pack pool noodles and kids used them off and on. Kids loved the slides but never did the zip line, mostly closed for the winds. Like I said we were feeling the winds and rough water from the tropical storm that was hitting south Florida. Lucky only rained on day we left, sunny sky's from day1. Gelato was at all the bars near the pool area and sooo good. As far as food we never stepped into the main dinning room. Ate the buffet all meals. Boring near the end but it was all about the ease of eating with kids. The food was good. No complaints. Pizza was VERY good the kind I prefer and consistent. Omlets to order was my go to every morning. If you are a coffee drinker bring your own insulated cups, super handy. However we never needed our water bottle just go to the bar at night, or day, and they give you 1 liter bottles to take to your room as many as you want! Shows were good especially the Michael Jackson one. However by the 3rd show in you could tell the were all alike using the same people. Still worth going to, they are all around 30 mns. We also enjoyed the lounge on deck 7 at night some fun events go one each night and pretty much family friendly.

My only regret was booking a tour of the city in Peurto Rico. Terrible and so boring never saw anything except drugstores and dirty neighborhoods. I don't know if you will be stopping there or not but what I wish we had done was walk 10 mns to the old fort and hit old San Juan right beside it. Kids loved the fort, highlight of our trip. Didn't need to pay 200$ for a bus ride around the city that dropped us of at the fort when it was over. Sorry for that rant I was really mad at my choice! Live and learn! Last suggestion is go ahead and leave your bags outside your room we thought it would of been faster to walk off with our luggage, wrong. We watch all the people leave the boat to go get there luggage as the crew in the terminal made us get on an elevator vs escalator, long painful line. Also we made a mistake going to the airport by getting sucked by MSC to get on one of their shuttle buses. We sat there for over 30 mns while they slowly waited for others to pay and load up the bus. Should of taken a cab that left immediately for similar price.

All in all we had a great time!!! Already booked a cruise on the Msc Bellissima leaving out of Genoa, Italy, for may 2019... yay!

YAY!! thank u so much!! With all the negative reviewers we were getting worried.....cant wait for Nov 3rd! We typically cruise on Celebrity....trying MSC for more fun/pools/slides and cant beat the cost compared to other lines!

Thanks for the helpful information! We are booked on Bellissima out of Genoa May 26th....is that your same cruise?

YAY!! thank u so much!! With all the negative reviewers we were getting worried.....cant wait for Nov 3rd! We typically cruise on Celebrity....trying MSC for more fun/pools/slides and cant beat the cost compared to other lines!

I agree price was great! I was nervous about all the negativity I was reading as well. Maybe if we had paid $10 to 20,000 for the four of us I would be a negative Nelly too. I think prices are relevant, it was a beautiful ship and a good time. We paid under 4000 for the four of us what a deal. Give me some sunshine, a Cold beer and a good slice of pizza and I'm a happy cruiser!

Thanks for the helpful information! We are booked on Bellissima out of Genoa May 26th....is that your same cruise?

Yes, that's when we leave! Glad to hear someone else on the cruise with us. Haven't looked for a rollcall yet maybe I should. Where are you from? We are from Georgia in the states.

Didn't need to pay 200$ for a bus ride around the city that dropped us of at the fort when it was over. Sorry for that rant I was really mad at my choice! Live and learn! Last suggestion is go ahead and leave your bags outside your room we thought it would of been faster to walk off with our luggage, wrong. We watch all the people leave the boat to go get there luggage as the crew in the terminal made us get on an elevator vs escalator, long painful line. Also we made a mistake going to the airport by getting sucked by MSC to get on one of their shuttle buses. We sat there for over 30 mns while they slowly waited for others to pay and load up the bus. Should of taken a cab that left immediately for similar price.

Excellent feedback! Thanks for this.

Celebrity is our favorite as well. You'll cruise MSC before we do. Would you mind posting your experience compared to Celebrity?

I've only been in the aft cabins on Seaview (cabin 12260), so it might not be the same on Seaside, but I found music from a bar or club sooooooo very annoying. There seemed to be a rave party starting around midnight every night and they kept going to around 3.30 in the morning. I don´t know where it came from (maybe the bar on deck 7?) or why they were open so late, but it was definitely a PAAAARTEY going on every night. The lack of sleep is my only complaint about the aft cabin; apart from that, I loved everything about the cabin.

I've only been in the aft cabins on Seaview (cabin 12260), so it might not be the same on Seaside, but I found music from a bar or club sooooooo very annoying. There seemed to be a rave party starting around midnight every night and they kept going to around 3.30 in the morning. I don´t know where it came from (maybe the bar on deck 7?) or why they were open so late, but it was definitely a PAAAARTEY going on every night. The lack of sleep is my only complaint about the aft cabin; apart from that, I loved everything about the cabin.

We stayed in the exact same cabin and never heard a peep. In fact, our biggest complaint was where did all the people go at night? For about 30-45 minutes from 11:30pm there was dancing (the same music ugh) on the top deck but the lounges and bars were mostly empty. It's like everyone in Europe goes to bed by 10:30.

Did you sleep with your balcony door wide open? Because that's honestly the only way you could have heard anything being in that cabin.

Because that's honestly the only way you could have heard anything being in that cabin.

So what you are saying is that I'm lying? Why would I do that?

If you were staying in the exact same cabin, we were obviously not on the same cruise, and everyone has a different tolerance level for noise at night, don't they? My husband also heard the music but were able to ignore it and slept like a baby.