Folding scootera

mamaofami

Does anyone know of a light weight scooter that folds automatically. I own a travel scoot and I do like it, but I am dependent on someone else to put it together or take it apart and it’s hard to get the battery on, at least for me. Sorry, can’t correct the title.

This is the one I originally wanted, but the price tag was too steep for me....but watch the videos, as it may be exactly what you are looking for.

https://www.travelscoot.com/

That is the one I have. It’s too heavy for me to lift the way irs shown and also hard to bend down to put the battery in.

Carol,

I had the same problem. Reaching down to get the battery in and out was a chore. I bought an auxiliary battery tray (on Travelscoot web site). The battery can be charged while still in the tray. The only time I take it out is to get on a airplane.

Marilyn

Does anyone know of a light weight scooter that folds automatically. I own a travel scoot and I do like it, but I am dependent on someone else to put it together or take it apart and it’s hard to get the battery on, at least for me. Sorry, can’t correct the title.

EV Rider. I think it's about $1600-$1700 retail.

I have had a Solax for about 10 years. Folds up and weighs about 50 lbs. The new ones have an auto "open and close" button. My present one is still in great condition but I would love a new one! We have been on about 15 cruises with it. No problems.

Lynda

We are just back from a cruise using my wife's new Triaxe scooter. I can't praise it enough. It is small, tough, lightweight and folds easily enough for a 10 year old to do it. Within 15 seconds after my wife got off it I had it folded and ready for me to easily lift into the trunk of a very small taxi.

You can ride it all day before recharging and it is the fastest scooter made. This is also the only con that it has. It is so fast that it can not be used by a small child or someone who is physically or mentally unable to control the speed and the brake lever. It goes up to 12 mph which is faster than anyone can walk so it is great outdoors to go places and has higher clearance than most scooters so it is easier to go up and down gangways on ships.

It comes with either a larger battery for a 35 mile range or a smaller travel battery for use in airline travel which will still last all day. It has a rack on back that will hold a large suitcase and an easily removable basket for other items.

See it at https://www.cascadehealthcaresolutions.com/Triaxe-Sport-Foldable-Scooter-T4001-LB-T4001-R-p/t4001-r.htm

• 4 months later...

I don't remove the battery on my Travelscoot to charge it.    I lift the battery out of the tray a little and plug  the round piece into the battery.   It sits up a little from the tray that holds it. We have been doing that for a few years.  Easier than taking it out and back in.    

My husband just bought a Travel Buggy (name of company that sells City model). I think its called something else in the USA. 55 pounds, folds easily, no taking apart, 2 batteries are like long sticks on each side of it (where the name is) Have used it on cruise 3 times and on plane 4 times. Loves it!

https://www.thetravelbuggy.com/product/city/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl9HewfSw4AIVQ9bACh2-8QDsEAYYASABEgI46PD_BwE

• 5 months later...
On 9/10/2018 at 7:09 AM, Chat4asec said:

I truly loved the transformer i rented.  I had a few issues but it served it purpose and I decided on a different solax product.   The first thing we discovered is even the directions say not to automatically close the scooter for shipping.  It the battery is used to close it, it is needed to open it!   

We discovered at Disney World that the automatic closing drains the battery too much too!  

But the original question was for an automatic closing scooter and the transformer is it! 

On 9/10/2018 at 11:08 PM, tallyho8 said:

We are just back from a cruise using my wife's new Triaxe scooter. I can't praise it enough. It is small, tough, lightweight and folds easily enough for a 10 year old to do it. Within 15 seconds after my wife got off it I had it folded and ready for me to easily lift into the trunk of a very small taxi.

You can ride it all day before recharging and it is the fastest scooter made. This is also the only con that it has. It is so fast that it can not be used by a small child or someone who is physically or mentally unable to control the speed and the brake lever. It goes up to 12 mph which is faster than anyone can walk so it is great outdoors to go places and has higher clearance than most scooters so it is easier to go up and down gangways on ships.

It comes with either a larger battery for a 35 mile range or a smaller travel battery for use in airline travel which will still last all day. It has a rack on back that will hold a large suitcase and an easily removable basket for other items.

See it at https://www.cascadehealthcaresolutions.com/Triaxe-Sport-Foldable-Scooter-T4001-LB-T4001-R-p/t4001-r.htm

I own the Tour, but recommend the Sport to anyone who can get their feet to stay situated on the foot area!  It’s faster with the lead battery, and travels farther too.  What I miss most though is the ability to carry something on a rack!   But having your legs cramping or falling off the foot bed wasn’t a good option either. 

On 2/3/2019 at 2:40 PM, 1threadshort said:

and i wouldnt want to stand out in the rain putting this thing together. much too much trouble.   i think the Triaxe scooter is the way to go.

What you trade off in not reassembling a scooter is weight.  My DH worries that I will not be able to life the 58 lbs to put my scooter in the car when he no longer can! I figure that’s more than a few years away and that by then I will want a replacement, have a car that I can load, or there will be newer products to explore.  I’m liking the looks of the chairs that look like scissor jacks!  I have no idea how heavy they are but they look easier to handle! 

Besides I’ve already master turning this one over backwards.

fwiw, on my last cruise the maitred asked me not to let the waiters drive my Triaxe Tour.  It doesn’t have a speed slowdown and apparently one of the waiters nearly hit the cart of glasses as they don’t stop on a dime either!  

• 1 month later...

My Smartscoot weighs 39 pounds. The seat can easily be removed and then the heaviest piece is 27 pounds.  This works well for putting the scooter in the trunk of a sedan or small car.  I have an SUV, and that allowed me to install a Bruno scooter lift, which I operate with a remote control when DH is not around to lift it into the car.

On 7/20/2019 at 6:46 AM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

What you trade off in not reassembling a scooter is weight.  My DH worries that I will not be able to life the 58 lbs to put my scooter in the car when he no longer can! I figure that’s more than a few years away and that by then I will want a replacement, have a car that I can load, or there will be newer products to explore.  I’m liking the looks of the chairs that look like scissor jacks!  I have no idea how heavy they are but they look easier to handle! 

Besides I’ve already master turning this one over backwards.

fwiw, on my last cruise the maitred asked me not to let the waiters drive my Triaxe Tour.  It doesn’t have a speed slowdown and apparently one of the waiters nearly hit the cart of glasses as they don’t stop on a dime either!  

we also recently back from a cruise and i saw the triaxe in action. the lady was not small and she went over every type of road condition w/o problem. and the battery lasted her all day. she said she went last year to paris and it handled wonderfully over cobblestone roads. im seriously looking at one.

when we went on some excursions there were people that had scooters that didnt fold and the bus driver would not take these people on the bus. also a lot easier when you go onto a tender when you have a folding scooter. chances are the crew will help you get onto the tender. how are you goin to manage a non-foldable scooter on a tender? i think not!

I did a lot of cobblestone with my triage tour.  They are hard on the side casters to the extent they begin to come unscrewed.  I’ve now removed them and am just careful on side to side slant.    I just recently discovered that the Triaxe Sport is listed at 44 lbs.  I didn’t like where my feet had to go, but it has a luggage feature.  I also didn’t like the front brakes but unlike my tour it does have a speed regulator.  Both are rated over 300 lb.  the new Tour is supposed to hold 375lbs.  I believe the Sport is now 350lbs. 

As for help loading sometimes it is less help than you want.  But on and off the ships they always seemed to want to carry it.  I prefer to put it in freewheel and let them drag it while I walk.  Not everyone has that luxury.  But then some of my cruises uses gangways that become stairs according to the tides.  

Havent done a whole whole lot of tenders but I’ve done all that were available.  Some of the ways to the tenders are step steps but the crew likes the weight being so light.  We fold it so they can see it before they say no!  

23 minutes ago, 1threadshort said:

thank you for all the info. especially the triaxe. i do not have a hatchback probably never will. and i really, really do not like the idea of taking the scooter apart. but i will look into the triaxe sport @ 44#'s. tx.

Although I’ve heard many say that taking scooters apart is easy I agree with you I didn’t want to do it either!   If it got where I couldn’t lift a scooter I’d look at a ramp of sorts, but we have a minivan that needs replacing and the car manufacturers have all but quit making them!  Trunks are harder to do.   

I really liked the Transformer as it was more compact and was lifted in the middle and could be done one handed if you were strong enough.  It is a 4 wheeler and needs a football field it seems to turn around, not particular uncommon for 4 wheelers.  I rented a transformer, before settling on my Triaxe Tour.   

For what it is worth, I just arrived in Tokyo and several young people working at the airport loved it!   

Glad to help, I found the Mobie by seeing someone with one!  

First day in Tokyo went well.  One of the stations, however, has a long slope that was technically too steep for the scooter.  With the help of my guide and my husband they were able to apply enough push power to my back to keep me moving up the slope.   Since the seat folds down there is no way to push on the chair, but we didn’t test that here, we already knew it.  As a solo, in general, one would not be able to get out alone in Winter Park.  There are some sidewalks in the area that have short sections of steep, but I made those because of the length of the slope was quite short. 

As for looking for scooters, yes they do all run together!  I would note that my husband found the ability to drag the transformer like luggage was a bit uncomfortable as it was a bit short and he is under 6 ft!   The Triaxe Tour and Sport are a bit longer and don’t fold in half so they are not as compact.  Both are also three wheelers so they have tighter turning radiuses.  The guide was amazed at how tight I could turn.  

It’s worth noting too that the subway gap in one station was a step up but all were a bit wide.  The station people will help with a ramp, but it takes time to do that getting on.  To get off they ask where you want to get off and meet you there with the ramp.   Since I can walk short distances I would have just rolled the scooter over the threshold being sure to lift the front wheel over the gap.  Since I was alone others did it.