Gratuities Scrapped ?

PeeBee2

I am looking at booking a suite on Azura in 2020 and 2 travel agents tell me that P&O have scrapped gratuities as of next year. I know a number of cruisers on this site have been suggesting this should be done but I wonder if it will affect service ?.

Can't think of any reason why it should. Most of the staff I have come across take their jobs seriously and do their best for you if you show them respect as well. Whether the auto grats all went to staff at all is far from certain. If they are motivated by cash then they may well be hoping to get a cash tip from their customers.

It would only affect service if P&O cut back on staff to make up for lost revenue from tipping. It stands to reason that P&O will either increase costs or make further cutbacks (likely OBC), albeit they say not. As with most things time will tell. We have cruised several times with Thompson (Marella) who have had tips included for years, we have always had good service with them even though they have also cut back over the years.

The announcement to remove the automatic tip charge coincided with the drop in the value of the pound to the U.S. dollar. As international operating costs e.g., fuel, is in dollars, could P&O have taken the opportunity to so lower cruise costs in attracting more customers in abstemiousness times? Perhaps Status Quo?

Sorry, it seems I'm the wrong side of the Atlantic. The lower pound assists us but would have a negative effect over there.

Edited by ONT-CA

I am looking at booking a suite on Azura in 2020 and 2 travel agents tell me that P&O have scrapped gratuities as of next year. I know a number of cruisers on this site have been suggesting this should be done but I wonder if it will affect service ?.
Time will tell but the only way service would be affected is if they cut back on staff numbers and on other cruiselines the drinks packages have been instrumental in crew reductions.

• 3 weeks later...

As long as P&O remunerate the staff correctly after the scrapping of Service Reward Charge then do think service should not fall as it means staff should receive a regular set amount and not rely on cruisers paying or removing payments.

Hi....just returned from a cruise were the tips/gratuities are included and the service was excellent. Service with a smile and every so friendly....it seemed a real pleasure to serve us. To be honest I have had worse service with P&O on quite a number of occasions so I am hoping that there will be a change.... an improvement in attitude... when they are included.

Hi....just returned from a cruise were the tips/gratuities are included and the service was excellent. Service with a smile and every so friendly....it seemed a real pleasure to serve us. To be honest I have had worse service with P&O on quite a number of occasions so I am hoping that there will be a change.... an improvement in attitude... when they are included.
That's great.

The crew then have an added incentive to be extra nice because most of us will tip extra cash for exceptional service.

That's great.

The crew then have an added incentive to be extra nice because most of us will tip extra cash for exceptional service.[/quote

Totally agree, I think I am more likely to tip good service now as I won’t feel I am tipping twice. I personally think service will improve

That's great.

The crew then have an added incentive to be extra nice because most of us will tip extra cash for exceptional service.[/quote

Totally agree, I think I am more likely to tip good service now as I won’t feel I am tipping twice. I personally think service will improve

I think it will too as long as crew numbers are not reduced meaning those left have to work even harder.

I understand Amazon are sponsoring P&O and we will all have our own cabin steward, called Alexa!!:cool:

That would be a bad thing in my judgement because most of the boats would probably end up arriving at the wrong ports and late.

Shucks, why didn't I think of that.;)

Better still, if Amazon are involved, with zero hours contracts, no need to pay the driver when the boat is tied up or anybody else who is seasick etc. Shore leave would be a saving because of no paid holidays.

Edited by pete14
spelling

Better still, if Amazon are involved, with zero hours contracts, no need to pay the driver when the boat is tied up or anybody else who is seasick etc. Shore leave would be a saving because of no paid holidays.

Now why bring politics into such a friendly discussion?;p

It is interesting that we have now come full circle. Initially people who enjoyed their cruise and the service offered a gratuity for service rendered. Then a figure was produce telling us what was considered an appropriate amount for a gratuity and then rather than present it to the individuals we could have it put onto our account, daily. Then when booking a new cruise we were offered the convenience of paying our gratuity "in advance" of boarding followed by having our gratuities just added to the price the cruise. And now and finally we complete the circle by returning gratuity presentation and their amounts back to the passengers themselves where it belonged in the first place.

It is interesting that we have now come full circle. Initially people who enjoyed their cruise and the service offered a gratuity for service rendered. Then a figure was produce telling us what was considered an appropriate amount for a gratuity and then rather than present it to the individuals we could have it put onto our account, daily. Then when booking a new cruise we were offered the convenience of paying our gratuity "in advance" of boarding followed by having our gratuities just added to the price the cruise. And now and finally we complete the circle by returning gratuity presentation and their amounts back to the passengers themselves where it belonged in the first place.

With the difference that the tips are not be considered to be an integral part of the crews wages by the cruise line. If you want to tip do it for the correct reason, that the crew member has given service over and above what the job requires. Tips should not be expected and passengers should ignore any peer pressure to tip, don't tip just because everyone else says they do. Make up your own mind.