Rental cars

Sbjefm

Is there a website where I can find information on booking rental cars at the ports ahead of time? Or is there usually companies visible once you exit the ship? We are more interested in touring around ourselves than booking an excursion. TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You'll have to google each port of call for rental car companies.

But, do your due diligence and know exactly what your in for.

I've heard some horror stories of people getting into minor fender benders and not understanding the laws.

One of the stories on this board was of someone who turned off the main road, not understanding who had legal right of way, and hit another car or pedestrians. The tourist police had 1 hour to come to a satisfactory conclusion. (It had something to do with compensation for anticipated lost time of work). After that, the Federalies took over. It did not turn out well for the tourist.

Some of the best shore excursions we ever had were with private taxis. We ask for an island tour and buy him lunch. We can usually do this for around $50. They will even take you to a beach and hang out for an hour or so. No buses, no waiting for other people, and you get a very personalized tour for about the same as a rental car and not knowing where you are going.

Do your due research for each port. Sometimes, a rental is more hassle than the trip is worth! The more you know about your ports, the better time you can have. Usually, a taxi tours is easy and affordable, some ports have great bus systems, and sometimes, a private guide will be beneficial....just depends on your port, and what you are looking to do! Get a guidebook...that's the easiest way to absorb the info you'll need to have great DIY days!

Is there a website where I can find information on booking rental cars at the ports ahead of time? Or is there usually companies visible once you exit the ship? We are more interested in touring around ourselves than booking an excursion. TIA!

We have rented cars when we have gone on cruises to Saint John NB from a car rental agency within minutes walking distance from the port. We reserved ahead of time online. Having said that the only place I have felt comfortable doing that was on our cruises to Canada. I don’t think I would do it in any other country or island (except Hawaii).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok, I have some info. I haven't been to Grand Turk, but I have rented vehicles at the other 2. In Curacao I used Advance Car Rental. They met us at the port and we dropped off there too. No issues.

I can't remember who I used in Aruba but it might have been Tropic. They also did pick up and drop off at the port.

I hope this helps

Aruba, curaçao and grand Turk.

We have rented a Jeep on Aruba and you need a Jeep if you are going to the East cost. We stayed on Aruba for two weeks during that time.

Aruba have a fantastic public bus system and we used it all three time we went to Aruba.

I would definitely research and book ahead of time. Rental car companies mostly cluster near airports, much fewer near ports. And it is likely you’ll need to get a shuttle to the rental car company; haven’t seen many right near the ports. We rented a few cars in ports in Hawaii and the locations near the ports sold out well ahead of the cruise.

We have routinely been renting cars at ports for forty years :). The OP needs to understand that there are at least 200 ports around the world visited by cruis ships. Rental car locations do change as do rental,procedures so one needs to review the latest info on agencies at each port...before every visit. The CC Ports of Call blogs are also a good place to ask about info.

Hank

Why not just hire a taxi? They know their way around and its much easier. Taxis can be hired for the day pretty reasonably around 50 or 100 depending on how long. Then you don't have to worry about the local traffic rules, roads and construction.

Why not just hire a taxi? They know their way around and its much easier. Taxis can be hired for the day pretty reasonably around 50 or 100 depending on how long. Then you don't have to worry about the local traffic rules, roads and construction.

Good advice: renting, and returning, a car in many ports can eat up a fair amount of your time ashore; the cost is not likely to be much different; and you do not have to worry about the huge possible costs - financial and time - of accident, theft of vehicle or equipment.

It depends on where you might be located :). I understand there is a tendency for many on CC to think in terms of small Caribbean islands but cruise ships go to all 7 continents. In parts of Europe an all day taxi can easily cost $500.

Hank

Good advice: renting, and returning, a car in many ports can eat up a fair amount of your time ashore; the cost is not likely to be much different; and you do not have to worry about the huge possible costs - financial and time - of accident, theft of vehicle or equipment.

Surely you know better :). So lets talk about a real recent example. Last week, while on the Regal Princess, we rented a car in Halifax NS for the day. Total cost for the rental was about $37 (one of the great bargains) and gas added another $20....so or full day tour (for two) cost us $57 and $28.50 per person. The only tour comparable to where we went cost over $100 PP and was not even a full day. Renting a car/driver or a taxi for the day would have cost many hundreds of dollars....assuming you could even find such a good deal.

In Europe we often rent cars for around $70 - $100 a day. Sometimes we take another couple so the cost per person drops to about $40 with gas...and this is for a full day! Full day excursions will generally cost well over $130 pp (some tours cost about $200). As to "eating up time" just think of all the time wasted on tours waiting for others who are slow, don't return on time, etc. There are certainly times when it makes sense to book tours/excursions or hire a car/driver...but using a rental car is a great way to save serious money while giving maximum flexibility to see what you want, when you want, with who you want :). But in China, India and Vietnam we will certainly leave the driving to others :).

Hank

Because we are a large family. There is 8 of us.

So 2 rental cars? or do you know they will have vans large enough for 8? Now I have not rented a car on island but I am unsure if they have rental vans for 8. Most people talk about renting Jeeps or small cars. Also keep in mind gas is VERY expensive and parking in difficult. The roads are small much smaller than I am used to driving and hilly with blind curves.