Oct 14 2018 Symphony of the Seas - Mediterranean

Europe HereIGo

If you are visiting some churches women may need to cover their shoulders . My DW carries a light shawl in that event. Less issue in general with shorts. As noted elsewhere, the more you can tell us about your ports and what your are interested in seeing the better we can answer.

hello!!!!

My husband and I are going on our first Mediterranean cruise including Spain, Italy and France. Any tips on what to wear for the tours? We would appreciate any suggestions/tips. Thank you!:)

With pickpockets active in many port cities, men should avoid carrying wallets in back pockets. In fact, it's not even goo to carry them in a front pocket (watch out for those pesky little kids with the bandaged fingers).

As suggested in your other thread, get a copy of Rick Steves' Mediterranean Cruise Ports and learn what there is to see and do in your ports, how to do it without an organized excursion, and the etiquette required in those countries. Lots of other good info, too. EM

Europeans generally dress a little more formally than people in the US. They generally don't wear athletic wear, on the street unless they are going to the gym and they wear walking shoes, not athletic shoes. Our strategy is to blend in so that we appear to be people who live there and are going to work or a business meeting. This cuts back on pickpocket's interest in us. For women, wear fully adjustable walking sandals (best if your feet tend to swell from walking a long time) or walking shoes and I find it easiest to wear a dress and knit jacket with hidden pockets. I never carry a purse or any kind of bag or wear any jewelry other than an obviously cheap watch. If it matters to you, leave it at home in a safe. Keep in mind that many toilets in Europe don't have toilet seats and often the floors of restrooms are wet so the dress works better for me than pants would. I also find the dress better for a situation where it is rainy. My husband wears long pants and a shirt with a collar and hidden pockets and if it is cooler out, a vest or jacket. There are a lot of great travel clothes here with hidden pockets: https://www.scottevest.com. The harder it is for thieves to figure out where your valuables are, the more likely they are to move onto a tourist whose valuables are easier to access.

If you insist on carrying a purse or backpack which will make you a target of pickpockets, you need to know that you can never set your purse down. Even in restaurants, your purse needs to be in your lap with your hand on top of it at all times. Never place a purse on the floor or table or chair of a restaurant in Europe.

Here are the common travel scams in Europe - good to read so that you will know if someone tries it on you: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/theft-scams/tourist-scams

This is a good article avoiding problems: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/theft-scams/outsmarting-pickpockets

Europeans generally dress a little more formally than people in the US. They generally don't wear athletic wear, on the street unless they are going to the gym and they wear walking shoes, not athletic shoes. Our strategy is to blend in so that we appear to be people who live there and are going to work or a business meeting. This cuts back on pickpocket's interest in us. For women, wear fully adjustable walking sandals (best if your feet tend to swell from walking a long time) or walking shoes and I find it easiest to wear a dress and knit jacket with hidden pockets. I never carry a purse or any kind of bag or wear any jewelry other than an obviously cheap watch. If it matters to you, leave it at home in a safe. Keep in mind that many toilets in Europe don't have toilet seats and often the floors of restrooms are wet so the dress works better for me than pants would. I also find the dress better for a situation where it is rainy. My husband wears long pants and a shirt with a collar and hidden pockets and if it is cooler out, a vest or jacket. There are a lot of great travel clothes here with hidden pockets: https://www.scottevest.com. The harder it is for thieves to figure out where your valuables are, the more likely they are to move onto a tourist whose valuables are easier to access.

If you insist on carrying a purse or backpack which will make you a target of pickpockets, you need to know that you can never set your purse down. Even in restaurants, your purse needs to be in your lap with your hand on top of it at all times. Never place a purse on the floor or table or chair of a restaurant in Europe.

Here are the common travel scams in Europe - good to read so that you will know if someone tries it on you: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/theft-scams/tourist-scams

This is a good article avoiding problems: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/theft-scams/outsmarting-pickpockets

Thank you for your help! Very much appreciated! :)

If you are visiting some churches women may need to cover their shoulders . My DW carries a light shawl in that event. Less issue in general with shorts. As noted elsewhere, the more you can tell us about your ports and what your are interested in seeing the better we can answer.

Thank you for your help! Very much appreciated! :)