Santorini - Fira to Oia

Cruisin'cockney

2 weeks away from our NCL cruise taking in Santorini. Would like to make our own arrangements and see both Fira and Oia.

I understand I can take a boat (speedboat) from Fira to Oia which includes a bus back to Fira, however I understand that it is a steep walk from where the boat drops you off up to the centre of the town of Oia. If this is true, do the boat operators provide a bus service to take you up from the port to the town or do we have to walk?

Also considering taking a bus from Fira to Oia and back as this seems cheaper but I am worried it will be too busy. There is only one other ship in port and our combined passenger load is about 3,000 PAX so perhaps not too bad.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

I don't think there is a bus until you get up to the town itself. We took the ships transfer to Oia which took us on a separate tender to a different harbour where there were tour buses to take you to your chosen destination. Otherwise go up at Fira on the cable car the queue shouldn't be too bad after all people can only get there by tender

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The company we took the Oia ferry with provided bus transfers from the Oia wharf up to the town. There is a very short but quite steep climb up from the wharf to the buses but it's quite manageable (and I'm overweight and not very fit). It was a great way to get to Oia. The company we used was the first one we came to from the tender wharf.

Yes. The speedboat also provides the bus transfer when you reach the wharf. There is not a steep walk to reach the bus. The transfer also provides a bus ticket to take you to Fira when you are done touring Oia. Try to take the earliest tender to the dock and then the first speedboat to Oia, since it gets very crowded.

The walk is steep but short.

I felt it was well worth taking the boat as we were there when it was much less crowded. As we were leaving, there was a huge, continuous line pouring in from the bus stop.

Just make sure you know where to meet your bus for the return trip to Fira! The parking lot will be filled with buses, and you need to know exactly where your bus will be waiting for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Can't answer Funtime18's question. I have a different one. We are in port in Santorini from 8 AM to 11 PM, a Tuesday. How late is the bus/taxi service from Oia to Fira? I would like to have dinner in Oia and return to the ship later, around ten.

Thanks, Bill

• 1 month later...

FIRA to OIA...

We took the local bus ...see video at

and had a great day. You could also take a taxi if the bus schedule didn't work for you...not sure of charge.

Be sure to allow enough time to take the cable car down if there are other ships there or you will have 588 steps to walk down ...see

when we had to walk down with 3 ships at port. Definitely wouldn't want to walk down at night.

Enjoy your time in Santorini... we certainly did.

Yes. The speedboat also provides the bus transfer when you reach the wharf. There is not a steep walk to reach the bus. The transfer also provides a bus ticket to take you to Fira when you are done touring Oia. Try to take the earliest tender to the dock and then the first speedboat to Oia, since it gets very crowded.

How do you get the tickets for the boat/bus to Oia? Do you buy them when you arrive or do you need to have them before arriving?