Cancel Cruise are Prepaid Grats Refunded

CnCsMom

Getting ready to book my trip insurance and I was just wondering if I have to cancel the trip are my prepaid gratuities refunded or do I need to include them in my trip cost if something happens?

Thanks in Advance!

Cyndi

prepaid grats are always refundable.

At least for Americans.

Just adding for folks from certain countries where prepaids are sometimes part of the price and not broken out. Also, some countries have totally different cancel policy in the first place.

Though getting your money back if you miss/cancel a cruise after final payment is a financial concern, the bigger reason for travel insurance is for medical reasons that can get very expensive.

At least for Americans.

Just adding for folks from certain countries where prepaids are sometimes part of the price and not broken out. Also, some countries have totally different cancel policy in the first place.

Just for clarification.

Prepaid gratuities are refundable even in places which have different cancellation policies than the US. I always used to prepay them and would have had them refunded if I cancelled the cruise. In fact, I believe they were even refundable even if you went on the cruise.

Now, as you say, we have gone all inclusive, so there is nothing to refund. DSC isn’t a thing for us anymore so you can’t remove them or get any refund for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting ready to book my trip insurance and I was just wondering if I have to cancel the trip are my prepaid gratuities refunded or do I need to include them in my trip cost if something happens?

Thanks in Advance!

Cyndi

Prepaid gratuities, prepaid excursions, taxes, port fees, and anything else you prepay like purchased UBP or SDP are always refunded in full if you cancel.

At least for Americans.

Though getting your money back if you miss/cancel a cruise after final payment is a financial concern, the bigger reason for travel insurance is for medical reasons that can get very expensive.

If the prepaids are not broken out, they are not prepaids but are part of the fare. The OP's question had nothing to do with cancel policies.

And now for some reason we digress, but we need to set the record straight. For some posters the reason for insurance might be the medical coverage, the healthy 30 year old is more concerned about getting their money back if they have to cancel than they are with medical coverage. In fact some who have good health coverage even if they are in their 60's with preexisting conditions don't worry about the health issues because their insurance already provides all of those benefits.

....In fact some who have good health coverage even if they are in their 60's with preexisting conditions don't worry about the health issues because their insurance already provides all of those benefits.

Sometimes - yes.

Sometimes people with excellent health insurance find out there is no coverage outside their home country - and they don't realize it until something happens.

Sometimes - yes.

Sometimes people with excellent health insurance find out there is no coverage outside their home country - and they don't realize it until something happens.

Happens to people on Medicare from time to time; Medicare does not cover you out of the country. Additional "part B" insurance you purchase from third parties as a Medicare supplement sometimes do cover you out of the country.

I think that the national health insurance in Australia, Canada and the UK also do not cover you out of the country. Some in Oz were surprised when their national health insurance didn't cover them on a cruise from one Aussie port to the next.

• 1 year later...
On 12/13/2017 at 3:56 PM, fshagan said:

Happens to people on Medicare from time to time; Medicare does not cover you out of the country. Additional "part B" insurance you purchase from third parties as a Medicare supplement sometimes do cover you out of the country.

I think that the national health insurance in Australia, Canada and the UK also do not cover you out of the country. Some in Oz were surprised when their national health insurance didn't cover them on a cruise from one Aussie port to the next.

That is correct about Medicare in Australia, once you are on the ship you need international travel insurence to cover you for any unforseen accidents or health issues on the ship, even domestic. 

Lot's of people get caught out & bill shock from the ship hospital.

Edited by joejoe 59
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 9:33 PM, CnCsMom said:

Thanks in Advance!

Cyndi

What did you pre-pay gratuities on?  You will get back the full cost of any packages such as UBP along with the 20% gratuity.  You SHOULD get back the 20% on FAS items.  Even though you did not ask but you will also get back the port fees/taxes and the DSC.