Croatia Excursions: Krka Waterfalls / Dubrava Falconry

Cross-posting from Viking Ocean cruises, since this might be the better place to get more experience! I believe this port might be new to Viking, so not a lot of info for me to go on.

Viking offers TWO excursions to the Krka Waterfalls, one that includes a Falconry tour and one that does not.

Looking for opinions on which MIGHT be the best way to SEE the waterfalls. Are there great photo ops while "in" the park, or are those mostly coming from the boat ride to the park?

And has anyone done the Falcrony? Is it worth it? I've done the "birds of prey" thing maybe 30 years ago, I don't remember much!

Here are the two descriptions, in case it helps? Both go to Skradin.

"The Krka Waterfalls & Town of Skradin" (4.5 hours)

Travel through Croatia’s beautiful countryside to Krka National Park and its sleepy gateway town of Skradin. The park covers almost 27,000 acres and is known for its cascading waterfalls and crystalline waters. Drive with your guide to Skradin and see why Microsoft founder Bill Gates has named this as his favorite vacation spot during a brief walking tour. You’ll embark a river boat and head up the Krka River to explore. Your destination is the astonishing Skradinski Buk waterfalls. These 17 cataracts are considered to be among the most beautiful calcium-carbonate waterfalls in Europe, tumbling a total of 150 feet along a 1,312-foot stretch of the river. At their widest point, they span 328 feet across. Enjoy spectacular views of the foamy cascades and their crystal clear pools from a viewing platform. While at the park, you can also visit a small ethnological exhibit and a restored water mill.

"Krka National Park & Dubrava Falconry Center" (7 hours)

Explore falcon conservation efforts, take in the waterfalls of Krka National Park and lunch in historic Skadin. Your first stop, the Dubrava Falconry Center, provides protection and rehabilitation to endangered birds of prey in an on-site bird hospital. The center’s activities combine education about the birds and their protection with the continuation of the medieval falconry tradition. As a visitor, you may have the rare opportunity to let a falcon fly to your hand. Next, continue to Krka National Park. Just before the river meets the sea, the Skradinski Buk waterfalls form a spectacular multilevel cascade over travertine cliffs. Pause above the falls for an excellent view. Following your guided walking tour, take free time to explore on your own. Then, continue to Skradin, one of Croatia’s oldest towns, where you will enjoy a delicious lunch before returning to Šibenik, where you can join your guide for an orientation walk or return directly to your ship.

We visited Krka a few weeks back during a road trip.

To be blunt and honest Krka was for us by far the most disappointing venue of our entire trip along the very scenic Dalmatian coast. :(

It's not really a tourist venue, certainly if you're not a hiker.

It's a pleasant lake for a relaxing family day out. A 20 minute boat ride, picnic on the grass, kids enjoying paddling in the cool waters, etc, with the falls as a backdrop.

Unsurprisingly it's popular with local families, or a relaxing day out in the park for those spending a few days in the area. But not a memorable tourist venue.

Dial " Skradinski Buk waterfalls" into google images, it's just the one set of falls with a lake at the bottom.

Photogenic - but that's a lot of time & cost for a photo-op.

Don't be fooled by different scenes on google images. They're much deeper in the park, areas you're not going to see on your trip because they involve switching to another boat to continue a long way up-river to a lake and an island monastery, and there are no roads in the whole park that are suitable for coaches.

Skradin is "one of Croatia's oldest towns" ????

No - not when you've been up into the hills & mountains and seen "proper" old towns.

It's the village where you catch the boat. Cafes, restaurants, tourist shops, ice cream parlours etc. that have sprung up because it's the main entrance to the Nat Park. OK for a little retail browsing or a beer but there's little that's old about the place and nothing noteworthy.

Sibenik has a pleasant old-town quarter near the waterfront. Certainly worth exploring if you have no other Croatian ports-of-call, but there's not enough there to fill a day.

I don't know the falconry place, but I found it on the map not far from Skradin.

Sorry, I appreciate this is a rather negative post - but I can only say it as I see it.

JB :)

Any trips to Split on offer?

An important city, by the harbour it has a large pedestrian old-quarter of sunny squares and cool alleyway. An easy walk if your ship ports there.

From Sibenik it's something over an hour by the fast direct road.

Or between 90 minutes & two hours along the attractive Route 8 coast road.

Are you game to rent a car for the day?

(in more positive mode ;) )

I believe we port in Sibenik?? We are also there in mid-October (the 19th or so), so that might make the Krka Falls option even less appealing, if weather might obscure the view?

Here are the tour options - we'd prefer not to rent a car for the day, we're in "do it for us" mode, so we'd choose from one of these! :D

• Šibenik walking tour (St. Jacob's Cathedral, St. Francis, St. Ivan) - 6 hours
  • Krapanj (Island of Sea Sponges) - 3.5 hours
  • Vrana Lake (including Maškovića Han and photo op from Kamenjak) - 5 hours
  • Historic Splît & Diocletian's Palace (includes St. Dominus, Temple of Jupiter) - 7 hours
  • Krka Waterfalls (as above)
  • Krka Waterfalls plus Falconry (as above)
  • Towns along the coast (Split with Diocletian's, Trogir with Loggia, town hall Cipiko palace, and St Lawrence) - 8 hours
  • Trogir and Burni (loggia, town hall, etc - then re-enactment stuff in Burni) - 6 hours

What are your thoughts on the other tours? I can provide full (promotional) descriptions if it would help.

Sibenik - Yes, the old town is around St Jacob's. But that's the only significant building & the old town is only a few streets. I'd be bored out of my brain after an hour or so - they'd have to pay me to stick with it for another 5 hours ;). The rest of the town nearby is very ordinary.

Krapanj Island - sorry, can't help

Vrana Lake (apparently Maskovika Han is a small reconstructed fortress) - sorry, can't help. But the lake looks pretty boring, and I'm none-too-sure how close you can get to it

The two Krka options - you know my thoughts.

Historic Splît & Diocletian's Palace - yes, that's the part of Split I was thinking of. It's all in the walled city on the harbourfront. Waaay bigger & more-interesting than the historic part of Sibenik. Worth considering.

Towns along the coast - this one grabs me. Historic Split & Diocletian's Palace plus small but interesting Trogir, which is different enough from Split's historic quarter & more laid-back. And the shorter time allowed in Split would suit me.

But difficult to tell whether the drive from Sibenik will be on the coast road or on rather uninteresting inland roads.

Trogir and Burni - Burni (Burnji on maps) is 10km from Primosten, a seafront village that we visited on the attractive coast road midway between Sibenik and Trogir, so I'm pretty certain you'll be taking that coast road, at least in one direction. Can't help re the re-enactment, elsewhere I've see good and I've seen embarrassingly poor.

The Split-only tour will almost certainly be via the fastest / simplest route, the E65.

The Trogir & Burni tour will probably include the coast road.

The "towns along the coast" title suggests it would include the coast road. But I'm just a bit sceptical about that.

Any more clues on those last three?

JB you are wonderful, thanks every so much for your thoughts on this.

Here are the promotional descriptions of those last ones, emphasis mine; looks like the last two might both take the scenic route:

Historic Split

Experience a unique blend of old and new cultures and architecture in Croatia’s second largest city. You’ll travel by coach to the city of Splît—the product of 17 centuries of building, renovating and remodeling, culminating in an eclectic blend of ancient and modern styles. At the core of Splît's sprawling cityscape is a spectacular Roman palace, built by Emperor Diocletian at the turn of the 4th century. The Old Town of Splît is built on and around Diocletian's Palace—a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the world’s most impressive Roman monuments. You’ll discover it with your knowledgeable local guide, as you stroll through its well-preserved cellars. Then, proceed to the Cathedral of St. Domnius, the patron saint of the city, and the charming Temple of Jupiter. You’ll have some free time to explore on your own before returning to your ship.

Towns Along the Coast

See the spectacular Roman palace in the center of Splît and discover the open air museum in the village of Trogir. Enjoy a scenic drive from Šibenik to Splît, and explore the core of this sprawling city. Diocletian's Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is one of the world’s most impressive Roman monuments. You’ll have some time on your own to discover the palace grounds before heading to your next stop. Your local guide will take you on a walking tour of the charming town of Trogir, set within medieval walls on a tiny island. Its narrow cobblestone streets wind between medieval buildings and Renaissance palaces. See the Loggia of Trogir, Town Hall, Cipiko Palace, and the Cathedral of St. Lawrence—a 13th-century building considered to be one of the finest examples of sacral architecture in Croatia. Enjoy free time on your own before returning to your ship.

Trogir and Burni

Explore the town of Trogir, a veritable open air museum and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Set within medieval walls on a tiny island, Trogir is linked by bridges to both the mainland and to the far island of Ciovo. You’ll arrive by coach, then stroll across the bridge with your guide to discover the narrow, cobblestone passageways winding between medieval buildings and Renaissance palaces. You’ll see the Town Loggia, the Town Hall, Cipiko Palace and the Cathedral of St. Lawrence, a 13th-century building considered to be one of the finest examples of sacral architecture in Croatia. Enjoy some free time to explore, then continue on to picturesque Burni to discover the local traditions of a typical village. Your hosts, dressed in national costumes, will welcome you with local songs and Dalmatian music. You’ll also have the opportunity to visit village homes and enjoy a delicious lunch in this unique locale.

JB you are wonderful, thanks every so much for your thoughts on this.

Here are the promotional descriptions of those last ones, emphasis mine; looks like the last two might both take the scenic route:

Historic Split

Experience a unique blend of old and new cultures and architecture in Croatia’s second largest city. You’ll travel by coach to the city of Splît—the product of 17 centuries of building, renovating and remodeling, culminating in an eclectic blend of ancient and modern styles. At the core of Splît's sprawling cityscape is a spectacular Roman palace, built by Emperor Diocletian at the turn of the 4th century. The Old Town of Splît is built on and around Diocletian's Palace—a UNESCO World Heritage Site and one of the world’s most impressive Roman monuments. You’ll discover it with your knowledgeable local guide, as you stroll through its well-preserved cellars. Then, proceed to the Cathedral of St. Domnius, the patron saint of the city, and the charming Temple of Jupiter. You’ll have some free time to explore on your own before returning to your ship.

Towns Along the Coast

See the spectacular Roman palace in the center of Splît and discover the open air museum in the village of Trogir. Enjoy a scenic drive from Šibenik to Splît, and explore the core of this sprawling city. Diocletian's Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is one of the world’s most impressive Roman monuments. You’ll have some time on your own to discover the palace grounds before heading to your next stop. Your local guide will take you on a walking tour of the charming town of Trogir, set within medieval walls on a tiny island. Its narrow cobblestone streets wind between medieval buildings and Renaissance palaces. See the Loggia of Trogir, Town Hall, Cipiko Palace, and the Cathedral of St. Lawrence—a 13th-century building considered to be one of the finest examples of sacral architecture in Croatia. Enjoy free time on your own before returning to your ship.

Trogir and Burni

Explore the town of Trogir, a veritable open air museum and UNESCO World Heritage Site. Set within medieval walls on a tiny island, Trogir is linked by bridges to both the mainland and to the far island of Ciovo. You’ll arrive by coach, then stroll across the bridge with your guide to discover the narrow, cobblestone passageways winding between medieval buildings and Renaissance palaces. You’ll see the Town Loggia, the Town Hall, Cipiko Palace and the Cathedral of St. Lawrence, a 13th-century building considered to be one of the finest examples of sacral architecture in Croatia. Enjoy some free time to explore, then continue on to picturesque Burni to discover the local traditions of a typical village. Your hosts, dressed in national costumes, will welcome you with local songs and Dalmatian music. You’ll also have the opportunity to visit village homes and enjoy a delicious lunch in this unique locale.

For myself I'd be hard-pressed to choose between the last two. :confused:

Both include Trogir, well worth visiting.

Split is a very popular destination - in the years to come you'll doubtless be able to compare experiences there with future friends.

Burni isn't well-known - and just might be an unusual little gem.

Your day, your money, your choice.

I'd be interested to know what you chose, and how it worked out.

... " Skradinski Buk waterfalls" into google images, it's just the one set of falls with a lake at the bottom. Photogenic - but that's a lot of time & cost for a photo-op. Don't be fooled by different scenes on google images. They're much deeper in the park, areas you're not going to see on your trip because they involve switching to another boat to continue a long way up-river to a lake and an island monastery, and there are no roads in the whole park that are suitable for coaches.....

.... Sibenik has a pleasant old-town quarter near the waterfront. Certainly worth exploring if you have no other Croatian ports-of-call, but there's not enough there to fill a day.

Thanks for this discussion. We dock in Sibenik on an upcoming cruise and I arranged a private guide for the day. Plans were to visit Krka NP and then do a walking tour of Sibenik. I had already researched Krka and was looking forward to Skradinski Buk, but thanks to JB, I googled YouTube videos which made me change our plans! The waterfalls look good but not so special. We'll stick to our walking tour of Old Town Sibenik but we'll have lots of time after that. Any other thoughts on interesting stuff nearby? We already have plans to visit Trogir and Split during our port call to Primosten.

For myself I'd be hard-pressed to choose between the last two. :confused:

Both include Trogir, well worth visiting.

Split is a very popular destination - in the years to come you'll doubtless be able to compare experiences there with future friends.

Burni isn't well-known - and just might be an unusual little gem.

Your day, your money, your choice.

I'd be interested to know what you chose, and how it worked out.

JB (or anyone else), would you know the standard / customary tip amounts (local currency) for trip guides and transportation drivers in this area?

JB (or anyone else), would you know the standard / customary tip amounts (local currency) for trip guides and transportation drivers in this area?

I have no special knowledge of tipping in Croatia, but in Europe generally tipping isn't the big deal that it is in the States.

The minimum hourly wage provides the bread-and-butter , and tips are the jam (jelly). They are very much up to the customer and how well they feel they've been looked-after.

And whilst it really shouldn't be a factor, for me what sort of value-for-money I got from the excursion would also impact the tip. I do the same in restaurants if the food is over-priced or poorly-prepared - not the server's fault, but they should go work in a better restaurant.

A poor guide is worth a zero tip.

"Doing their job" wouldn't get a tip from me either, though it would from some folk.

For me the guide needs to be personable, keenly interested, decently-knowledgeable and helpful to be worth a tip from me.

I'd expect a good guide to be worth about 250 to 300 kuna in total for a day, something over half that for a half-day. So I do a quick bit of arithmetic - if we're a couple amongst 40 on a full-day coach excursion that'd be 15 kuna between us, if we're 6 in a van for a half-day it'd be 50 kuna for the two of us, for a private half-day tour mebbe 100 to 150 kuna.

Drivers in Europe generally don't expect a tip, though you'll probably see a tip box. If you do tip, less than 10 kuna would probably be an insult.

That's me.

It's not everyone in Europe.

But I'm probably about the average.

Yes, Trogir is excellent and Burnji sounds interesting and "different".

But re "the Fall".

I guess it's around October into November.

However, the Dalmatian coast is quite bare and scrubby, we didn't see many trees except up in the hills.

So altho it's a beautiful coastline you may be disappointed by the shortage of autumnal colours.

But look at it this way - a couple of summers back we drove over 300 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway from Roanoke VA to the Smokeys, almost all of it on the ridge-line. Probably glorious views on both sides, but most of the time they were obscured by trees alongside the road. :(

That's not a problem on the Dalmatian coast. :)

I don't know whether others can comment - mebbe what we found wasn't typical ?

Thanks again JB!!

I grew up in Nova Scotia, Canada. Lots of bare/bald rocks and scrubby plants. I love rustic nature and the ocean, so it sounds perfect! We have great autumn colors here in the states, too, so I know I won't really be disappointed either way! That's why I'm favoring the ocean towns. I live in the middle of the States now, away from oceans, so a little bit of "home" is very welcome!

And your guide for tips was excellent, thank you so much!! We have just the one day in Croatia, so didn't want to go overboard on getting kuna that we weren't going to use for the remainder of the trip.

You're a gem as always!!

Thanks again JB!!

I grew up in Nova Scotia, Canada. Lots of bare/bald rocks and scrubby plants. I love rustic nature and the ocean, so it sounds perfect! We have great autumn colors here in the states, too, so I know I won't really be disappointed either way! That's why I'm favoring the ocean towns. I live in the middle of the States now, away from oceans, so a little bit of "home" is very welcome!

And your guide for tips was excellent, thank you so much!! We have just the one day in Croatia, so didn't want to go overboard on getting kuna that we weren't going to use for the remainder of the trip.

You're a gem as always!!

Aw shucks :o :)

BTW, you don't need kuna for just guides' tips in Croatia. Tips are totally discretionary, and a decent tip in euros will be welcomed - guides etc are quite used to mainstream foreign currencies, and will add them to the pot for conversion or spending later. That's what I used to do when driving coaches - saved up my USD tips for spending money while on vacations in the States.:)

Aw shucks :o :)

BTW, you don't need kuna for just guides' tips in Croatia. Tips are totally discretionary, and a decent tip in euros will be welcomed - guides etc are quite used to mainstream foreign currencies, and will add them to the pot for conversion or spending later. That's what I used to do when driving coaches - saved up my USD tips for spending money while on vacations in the States.:)

Oh good, it would be most convenient to get euros, since the other days are in Italy. Well-deserved kudos for helping this clueless Canadian! :o:halo:

• 2 months later...

Good evening!

We visited Trogir, which is a quaint little town. Got a coffee and croissant in the square, toured the church and listened to the a cappella group. It really did seem like a Little Venice!

The trip from the cruise port to Trogir and Primošten Burnji was best if one sat on the right hand side. Gorgeous route along the ocean and through the countryside.

Primošten Burnji was something else! A great collection of period buildings, some dried figs, freshly cracked almonds, and a shot of grappa. We enjoyed lunch there, with the best bread I’ve ever had. Very nice house wine, grilled pork and sauerkraut, with profiteroles for dessert. We were serenaded during dinner, and a tour of the land and garden made for a great experience. The retired Msgr was a stoic character, very rugged. Watch out, the donkey gets mad if you don’t have food for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums